RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-txt-1-juggernaut/)
-   -   No more twisted maxx sliders... :) (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-txt-1-juggernaut/992-no-more-twisted-maxx-sliders.html)

MacMan 07-11-2004 03:56 PM

No more twisted maxx sliders... :)

Put these on this past week:
http://www.cobrajournal.corral.net/rc/txt05.jpg

So, thanks to you guys for all the help! My TXT crawls pretty well these days. Some of the mods:
Stainless steel sliders, geared it down, traxxas speed controller, locked diffs, HPI MT2 shocks with cut outs on the body mounts for increased travel, home made links (repositioned), TMaxx hub adaptors, narrowed Savage wheels, MGT cut tires with small foams, cut chassis and tranny, home made skid plate and tranny brace, XTM high torque servos... can't think of what else. :) I'll post better pictures after I hit the rocks again.

http://www.cobrajournal.corral.net/rc/txt06.jpg
http://www.cobrajournal.corral.net/rc/txt07.jpg

TwistedCreations 07-11-2004 04:00 PM

Re: No more twisted maxx sliders... :)

well damn, i thought you had a neat little trick or something. not everyone has $100 to throw into an axle/driveshaft :flipoff:

MacMan 07-11-2004 04:05 PM

Hehehehe, well, I did offer to buy a bunch of em so that people could get them for $60 instead. I'm just really excited about them. They're so cool in a geeky, tech, car guy way. Can't believe how perfect they fit.

BigSmokinGun 07-11-2004 04:22 PM

Where might I acquire a set of those drive shafts MacMan?

Eric

MacMan 07-11-2004 05:07 PM

https://sdp-si.com/eStore/

On the left side of the page click on "universal joints", then "telescoping", then "metal spline type". The size you'd want is the first one in the list (the one with the .25" bore). Toyota's right, they're crazy expensive, but awefully nice. And it's certainly going to be the last set I need to buy for my rig.

rckjeep 07-12-2004 12:24 AM

I can't believe you paid $111 each. that's insane. with handling 40in. lbs. will the hold up to superlow gearing? they are really trick looking.

MacMan 07-12-2004 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rckjeep
I can't believe you paid $111 each. that's insane. with handling 40in. lbs. will the hold up to superlow gearing? they are really trick looking.

Yeah, but here's the thing. I was twisting the max sliders almost every time I took it out crawling. The last set of sliders I bought was like $14 or something like that, so after a while, replacing the max sliders will get expensive. Time is very valuable to me and I was going to the hobby shop on a pretty regular basis (fifteen minutes each way), not to mention gas to get there, or the time it takes to pull off the twisted sliders, and put on new ones. For me, $200 was totally worth knowing I would never break a slider again.

Heck, people buy Clodbusters ($175) just for the axles and use them with an aftermarket chassis like the Gecko ($200) and still have to buy more parts. People spend $200 on RC stuff all day long (TXTkit $354), Kong tires ($100). Don't know why people have a hangup on spensive sliders. :)

bustedcrawler 07-12-2004 01:03 AM

Those shafts look sweet! I wish I had the funds available for something like that. But right now I am not breaking the stock TXT shafts... I'll just have to wait and see about the Maxx sliders.

Where did you get your MAxx wheel adapters from? All I have seen are the RC4x4 ones.

rckjeep 07-12-2004 05:32 AM

Quote:

People spend $200 on RC stuff all day long
ya that's true. I haven't lengthened the wheelbase yet and the stockers are working for me too. And I did bookmark the page. I mean that's what Credit cards are for right? :lol:

badger 07-12-2004 11:21 AM

Quote:

I mean that's what Credit cards are for right? :lol:

I could not agree more rckjeep! Post your Credit Card # here and I'll get a set too! :flipoff:

rckjeep 07-12-2004 12:18 PM

Quote:

I could not agree more rckjeep! Post your Credit Card # here and I'll get a set too!
And ship'em to you directly right? Nice try there buddy. :flipoff: back at ya.

I'm thinking about trying to use the tamiya u-joints and replace the the slider. I'll look into it.

schlabinski 07-12-2004 12:53 PM

I saw someone using the white terra crusher driveshafts once, but I don't know any details. Anyone tried them? Do they require modification to fit? How do they hold up compared to the Traxxas sliders?

badger 07-13-2004 09:45 AM

Hey Macman... what are twisted sliders? I have never seen them before!

http://rc.badgerracing.com/albums/Cu...7397.sized.jpg

:flipoff:

I was thinking about this (as I was crawling) and I think it might be better having the drive shafts being the weekest link. I would much rather replace a $7 slider then a $200 axel.

What kind of stress do you think you are putting on the rest of your drive train with your nice sliders? And what do you think is the part that is most prone to break now in your drive train?

I understand your point of not having to replace sliders all the time, but I would be worried about replacing more expensive parts if I ran your drive shafts.

Maybe you could chime in Dirk, since you seem to know alot of this wierd technical shit.

TXTFUN 07-15-2004 11:02 PM

Just thought I'd share,

I use sliders in my truck but have modded them so I use 2 female ends and 1 male end to join them.

I cut one of the female ends in half and the uni knuckle off the male one. Then I filled the centre of the male shaft with araldite, then I superglued it in the shorter female shaft.

Mine are good for anywhere between 14 - 17" wheelbase but could be made to suit by cutting more or less off the smaller female end, and at 16" with MGT's and Kyosho Mega360's for the past few months they are showing no signs of fatigue.

If they do twist with the araldite i'm going to drive a long screw down the centre of the male shaft and cut the end off to leave it a nice solid shaft.

rckjeep 07-16-2004 01:20 AM

araldite? what is it? Is it a grease? I like the idea of the mixed shaft.

RockyD 07-16-2004 05:35 PM

I have a set of the Traxxas half shafts long T-MAXX sliders and matching Diff output yokes. The end that attaches to the motor is too large to slip past the plastic near the motor shaft. Is everyone trimming the slider yoke to fit or am I missing something obvious. Or did I get the wrong upgrade parts for my TXT-1?

TXTFUN 07-17-2004 06:15 AM

Quote:

araldite? what is it? Is it a grease? I like the idea of the mixed shaft.

Sorry, Araldite is a type of 2 part glue we have here in Oz, pretty much like your JB Weld from what I can gather.

Rocky, mine only JUST fit and it's wearing itself down pretty nicely, just make sure you screw your grub screw in all the way and she'll be sweet.

schlabinski 07-17-2004 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyD
I have a set of the Traxxas half shafts long T-MAXX sliders and matching Diff output yokes. The end that attaches to the motor is too large to slip past the plastic near the motor shaft. Is everyone trimming the slider yoke to fit or am I missing something obvious. Or did I get the wrong upgrade parts for my TXT-1?

Personal preference. I have heard of people taking a dremel sanding drum to the transmission (be careful not to go too far). Instead, I mounted a yoke to my drill and took a file to it until it was small enough. I am not sure how much it weakened the yoke...time will tell, but so far they are holding up okay.

badger 07-18-2004 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schlabinski
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockyD

Personal preference. I have heard of people taking a dremel sanding drum to the transmission (be careful not to go too far). Instead, I mounted a yoke to my drill and took a file to it until it was small enough. I am not sure how much it weakened the yoke...time will tell, but so far they are holding up okay.

Yeah, I did the same thing. I attached the yoke to a drill the a screw and nut, then just filed enough away until it fit. It has a ton of plastic there so I don't think it weakened it at all.