Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Lifting CC-01 front suspension

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2009, 01:20 AM   #1

Default Lifting CC-01 front suspension

Hi guys, I just picked up an used CC-01 chassis, and I took everything apart to rebuild everything. I am pretty much done. The rear came modified already, and I built a sub frame on the back to stiffen it. The back is lifted so I want to lift the front as well to even the entire car. As you can see in the picture, the rear is way higher than the front . Is there any way to lift the front cc-01 suspension without spending big bucks? thanks!
Before:

Now:

bb6cc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

You can put a 1/4" spacer between the chassis and inner upper controll arm mount..but it wont be as high as u have the rear....Gunna be verry top heavy jacked up that high.I took some TLT 9804177 brackets and mounted them behind rear axle grind off a flat spot on axle gives about 1/2" in lift
speed goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:57 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

you'd probably need longer arms on the front IFS to get any kind of significant lift...
or swap to a solid axle on the front.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 01:38 AM   #4

thanks for the info guys
bb6cc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 02:19 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

I am into the same thing... lifting the CC01. Your work and pictures are great!

Now this is how they do it in the real world IFS off-roaders.... so my idea is to follow that technique in lifting the front of the CC01:

(this is the link in case the picture doesn't show)
http://www.fabtechmotorsports.com/im...i-rez_well.jpg

Probably, putting an "extension" made of an aluminum block would be a good idea. However, there might be a need to modify/extend the dog bone. I'am still searching the other tamiya RC's that might be a good donor for the longer dog bone.

Another possible complication is the possible need to fabricate a new upper and lower A-arms (hopefully the C-hubs would not need to be modified). The steering link might need to be moved to the front (just like the one done on another thread - solid link on IFS?)
wildthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 09:25 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

You can get about 1/2-1/3 inch lift off of putting longer shocks on the front. Thee inch shocks will get the most articulation the drive shafts can handle. You might want to consider droping the rear a bit. It seems a tax bit overkill. You will have to do some filing and sanding to make them extend all the way, but it's really cheap, as long as you use cheap shocks. Take a look at my build in this section.
tom tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 05:26 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildthing View Post
I am into the same thing... lifting the CC01. Your work and pictures are great!

Now this is how they do it in the real world IFS off-roaders.... so my idea is to follow that technique in lifting the front of the CC01:

(this is the link in case the picture doesn't show)
http://www.fabtechmotorsports.com/im...i-rez_well.jpg

Probably, putting an "extension" made of an aluminum block would be a good idea. However, there might be a need to modify/extend the dog bone. I'am still searching the other tamiya RC's that might be a good donor for the longer dog bone.

Another possible complication is the possible need to fabricate a new upper and lower A-arms (hopefully the C-hubs would not need to be modified). The steering link might need to be moved to the front (just like the one done on another thread - solid link on IFS?)

this is what i am currently running on my many times modified but never truly finished cc-01. I have basically reengineered the entire front suspension. I started by installing 1/4" spacers between the chassis and skid plate mount then I made a set of camber links using 4/40 rod and ball ends with a tlt suspension stay mounted on the chassis side this was neccsessary because of the fact that the original camber links were not long enough to allow the suspension to travel fully after the "lift". I installed 90mm shocks but after some thought I might go with 80mm instead. Lastly i shimmed both dogbones at the diff end to keep the bones in place after the lift. All in all I am happy with the outcome it fits 1.9 RC4WD crazy crawler tires (4") and gets a fair amount of flex(just enough in my opinion) it was a fair amount of work but worth it.
pvtjrt01550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:42 PM   #8

pics!!!!
flexman is offline   Reply With Quote