Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Capabilities\Modable?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2009, 09:01 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Capabilities\Modable?

Hello all,

I have an SCX10 and I am absolutely loving the rock crawling\trail truck segment of R\C. Naturally, as an addict I am craving more and am seriously considering one of these tamiya rigs. They look super scale and are relatively cheap.

My questions are: Are they reasonably capable? I don't expect it to hang with the SCX10 as I know its a very well designed scaler (with many parts from its 2.2 big bro the scorp). But will it do enough to be fun in the trail truck segment? Reasonable sized rocks, some water and mud, the usual...

Also, Can they be modded a little for better clearance and articulation? maybe stuff my now spare 1.9 flatirons on the chassis? I would love to do a CC01 with a new bright LR3 b\c I think they're super sexy...

Thank You.
hibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2009, 09:12 PM   #2
Debunking old stereotypes

You'll want to check out this section for ideas on mods.
There aren't a ton. That's not to say it's not a pretty capable truck, but you'll want some decent wheel speed. I've gone on some trails I've taken much more capable trucks, and surprised myself with the little CC01. Its not that great on the rocks, but a pretty capable trail truck.
IMO well worth the $, and a fun little truck. I was out running my CC01 New Bright LR3 today. I also have another I started building this weekend.

BTW, The New Bright LR3 is an easy body to fit on the CC01

Last edited by freetimecrawler; 04-12-2009 at 09:17 PM.
freetimecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:09 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

you can get a little more articulation from the front but the IFS has certain innate limitations. the rear you can get more articulation with longer shocks if you wish (not my preference) and you can redo the 4-link with allthread to make it a bit more usable. The biggest drawback to them is that they are limited to tire size. you'll never fit the flatirons under one reasonably. The stock tires are only 3.6 or so and you can go up to the Trail Doc (standard) or mudslinger but not much bigger. These two will still require you to do a slight body lift (easy) and possibly trim the wheel arches a bit.
I solved this by making my own tires (see how to on BFG Thrashers)
The steering has some slop in it too. There is a BB mod you can do to tighten it up some but I opted to eliminate all the linkages and mount a servo in the standard setup. see my thread on solid linking the IFS for what I did: solid link on IFS?

the stock motor is also pretty fast so you'll want to slow it down a bit so you can do slow rock crawling (if you want).

They're definitely challenging to drive but fun and worth the low cost relative other crawlers.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:49 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

thanks guys sounds good. This is exactly what I wanted to know and was looking for. Sounds like a fun truck and reasonably capable\modable. I love tamiya R\C's cause their really like models that function but their just so darn expensive (like the high lifts). A truck that expensive and beautiful I would be a lame-o and put on a shelf, hence I don't own one...

Again, Thank You guys for the excellent advice and build threads!
hibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 08:25 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

mine did ok but once i got to some rocks it stopped dead in its tracks i didnt realize how much id been missing out till i got an ax-10! now im tryin to get rid of mine to get an scx-10 and see how it does, once i got my axial i never drove it but 3 times more
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 09:41 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I recently bought one just because its a Tamiya. Yes, I'm brand bias. Tamiya's are to me some of the sweetest bodies out there simply because of the level of detail and the rigidness of the bodies. Capable? Imo as capable as any other. Mod's? update on my hummer HX. A beauty, to say the least. http://utrcrc.freeforums.org/utrcrc-...e-ii-t158.html, was posted by Just Zach in UTRCRC Scale Adventure II CC-01 thread. Scroll to about post 5 by Kaetwo. He describes some of his mods to his CC01. And there are some other good tidbits of info there as well. All seeming to be well within reason, and cheap. When all is said and done though, the only limit is what you don't want to do. Hope this helps.
hvydty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 10:50 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I love my CC-01. I have more capable rigs but it is the most fun to drive to me. I have it geared to crawl and still have good wheel speed. Decent crawler and wicked mudslinger.

A simple body lift will allow you to fit some bigger tires. Making some skid plates and trimming the chassis will make it more capable. Different shocks and suspension mods will get you a little more flex but to be honest they are really fun without getting into all that.

Last edited by nascarkeith; 04-20-2009 at 10:52 AM.
nascarkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 04:00 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

they are fun in mud but not too fun to clean more of just a basher if you can keep it in one pice
2500hdon37s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:03 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Sorry, just had to post this in defence of the little guys. UTRCRC Tamiya CC-01 ONLY Ultimate Scale Adventure
hvydty1 is offline   Reply With Quote