Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Toyofast's CC-01 'Jero that goes!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 03:46 PM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
Did you already break the Yeah Racing ones?
Sort of.... I have bent one and lost a cross pin on the end of the shaft, one close to differential. Only issue so far.

Okay... drove it, don't like it as much as the Yeah Racing CVDs. Looks like in order for these to help gain any sort of steering, I'll have to modify the stock plastic knuckles. The forward side and back side of the knuckle acts like a turn stop when trying to go to full left or full right. Too much material in the way. You notice how the TA02 Yeah Racing aluminum knuckles have the notches on the knuckles, that's what has to be done to the stock CC-01 units for these to help.

I do like how nice they just drop in without any issues. I'll have to keep playing and try to break them. Being a GPM part and them now looking at making parts for the CC-01, if they were to make a new aluminum knuckle that has the front/back sides cut out to allow tighter steering..... that'd be the hot ticket to match up with these universal shafts.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2009, 08:32 PM   #82
On the lookout for Rocks

But you can get a little bit more steering with risking the dogbone popping out/bending....especially if you have already modded the steering knuckles to give ya a little bit more down travel.
constantmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:53 PM   #83
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by constantmotion View Post
But you can get a little bit more steering with risking the dogbone popping out/bending....especially if you have already modded the steering knuckles to give ya a little bit more down travel.
Yeah... So far no issues other than I need to modify the stock knuckles to allow for more steering. I have high hopes for these GPM universals. I plan to test them as much as I can this week after work.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:27 PM   #84
RCC Addict

Great update! Nice work as usual. I'm glad to hear these results b/c I've just got mine up and running and experienced the dogbones popping out. I took some extra o rings and stuffed them up in the axles and works so far. I'll have to get some of these for sure.
BGGruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 07:46 PM   #85
I wanna be Dave

Well... I took a few weeks off from driving any RC's and tonight I decided to charge up a 3 cell and run the Pajero around.

Everything was going great until I blipped the throttle to get around a rock. As the Pajero made it around the edge of the rock, the left front tire went sky high and I hit the brakes..... that's the same moment when I saw a flash of blue hit the dirt and the left front tire spin like crazy.

Those GPM aluminum universal shafts twisted and snapped. The joints seem to be okay, one of the pins started to work it's way out but push it back in and add a dab of CA it'll stay in place. Good thing I have a spare GPM shaft and a spare Yeah Racing CVD shaft.

Old 08-30-2009, 08:06 PM   #86
0 0

this thing is an axle breaking machine
romulus22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:29 PM   #87
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by romulus22 View Post
this thing is an axle breaking machine
Tell me about it! I don't think I ever broke this many TLT axles from back in the day. I need to get back into gear with this rig and try to make the IFS work correctly and stand up to MY abuse. So far I'm getting about 2-3 battery packs per axle breakage.
Old 08-30-2009, 10:12 PM   #88
Quarry Creeper

Damn dude, what kind of terrain do you run on? I have never broke a single part on either of mine. I know your huge ass tires are not helping matters any. I run Trail Docs on my Defender and it weighs in at just a few oz's under 8lbs and my other truck runs Outlanders. I whoop the piss outta them both and never have broke anything on either.
blackfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 10:25 PM   #89
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
Damn dude, what kind of terrain do you run on? I have never broke a single part on either of mine. I know your huge ass tires are not helping matters any. I run Trail Docs on my Defender and it weighs in at just a few oz's under 8lbs and my other truck runs Outlanders. I whoop the piss outta them both and never have broke anything on either.
I really don't think it's the tires. The Pro-Line rubber actually makes life easier for the CC-01 drivetrain IMO. I tend to drive pretty slow and easy with the Flatirons since they walk up most obsticles. Now... If I slap on the Trail Docs, Rock Crushers or even tiny(yet fat) stock TLT tires... I have to drive a bit harder since they don't have as much grip as the Pro-Line rubber. Lots of bouncing and full throttle attacks at things.

I have broken front axles with the Flatirons, RC4wd Crushers, Trail Docs and even the stock TLT tires. Flatirons have no weight added, Trail Docs are the heavy SOBs with about 8oz for the fronts and 4oz for the rears, RC4WD tires have no weight and the stock TLT tires are just silly fat.

I can't be the ONLY one out there having this many issues with front axles!
Old 08-31-2009, 01:35 AM   #90
I wanna be Dave

I think its unusual to say the least!
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:14 AM   #91
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post

I can't be the ONLY one out there having this many issues with front axles!
I bent a stock one, but the yeah racing ones are holding up for me.
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:18 PM   #92
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantablo View Post
I think its unusual to say the least!

Maybe something is tweaked with my front end. It just seems odd that I keep breaking axles. Time to remove the 3mm lift to see if that will help ease up the breakage. That's really the only thing I can think of that is causing a possible issue..... Maybe I should just try to SAS this little rig and go pick up another CC-01 and start over..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardonmyn00b View Post
I bent a stock one, but the yeah racing ones are holding up for me.

Any issues with loosing any cross pins? That's one issue I keep having with the Yeah Racing CVDs. Either a cross pin at the CVD joint or the pin on the "dogbone" side of the axle. I have CA holding them in now.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:09 PM   #93

Check this thread out for some axle/cvd compatability info

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/sho...hlight=cc01%3D

I did all this research one day when I was bored. I think any FRONT TA02 or FRONT TA03 CVDS will work, if you can find them. Make sure they are for the front, NOT the rear

I found these on ebay a while back, but I think they cost me $60

spankrjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:11 PM   #94

I bought those Tamiya CVD's for a Pajero I built, but I sold the Pajero before I ever converted over to CVD's. I got a new ReRelease CC01 Wrangler to build, I will put them in that and see how they hold up
Old 09-03-2009, 10:49 PM   #95
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankrjs View Post
I bought those Tamiya CVD's for a Pajero I built, but I sold the Pajero before I ever converted over to CVD's. I got a new ReRelease CC01 Wrangler to build, I will put them in that and see how they hold up
One of our guys has the Tamiya universals in his CC-01. Yes they will bolt in but since they still use the stock knuckles, your steering is limited versus the TA-02 knuckles that I'm running. My Yeah Racing CVDs have lost pins and have some slight bends in them but overall holding up much better than the stock dogbones and the GPM aluminum universals pictured above.

My main goal is to widen the front suspension, longer a-arms, longer shocks and easier to find CVDs that will hold up to MY abuse. I already have som MIP CVDs that I want to use but it's finding some a-arms to work with them... or I have to make my own arms, which I'm starting to lean towards.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:28 AM   #96

I have some kinda made in China aluminum TA03 knuckles that look similar to yours, but I think they are for the rear. The aluminum knuckles I have just have 1 hole in them for a turnbuckle vs the two holes that yours have. I am going to see if they fit, if they dont, I will trim down some stock plastic knuckles to get more steering throw.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:53 PM   #97
RCC Addict

toyofast Your videos are some of the best in RCC , pleasure to watch
TheHeadHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 03:39 PM   #98
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post
I already have som MIP CVDs that I want to use but it's finding some a-arms to work with them... or I have to make my own arms, which I'm starting to lean towards.
please share the details on these shafts...I would be happy to try to make some longer arms!
lowslowTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:16 PM   #99
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHeadHunter View Post
toyofast Your videos are some of the best in RCC , pleasure to watch
Hey, thanks! Means a lot when folks actually make a note to tell me. That's what keeps my going forward with making them. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowslowTJ View Post
please share the details on these shafts...I would be happy to try to make some longer arms!
They are MIP, longer than the Yeah Racing but not by too much. Just need to increase the width of the stock arms by about 10-12mm longer or so.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:12 PM   #100
Pebble Pounder

I'm a little bit confused.. For the CC01's what is better for the purposes used here the standard dogbone and stub axles or CVD's??
Junkz0r is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-xc-cc01/182040-toyofasts-cc-01-jero-goes.html
Posted By For Type Date
CC01= TA02 and TA03 Parts Compatability CONFIRMED - Page 3 - Scale 4x4 R/C Forums This thread Refback 10-05-2011 10:00 AM