Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Toyofast's CC-01 'Jero that goes!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2009, 09:49 PM   #101
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkz0r View Post
I'm a little bit confused.. For the CC01's what is better for the purposes used here the standard dogbone and stub axles or CVD's??
CVD's hands down. My steering is freaking awesome. Just have to improve or reinvent the steering linkage to keep it predictable throughout it's full steering movement.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2009, 05:54 PM   #102
I wanna be Dave

Okay... I swear it wasn't my fault!

Yeah Racing CVD finally gave up the ghost. Out of all honesty, the Yeah Racing CVDs have been the best upgrade, along with the TA02 aluminum knuckles. It wouldn't have broke but I was pulling a stupid full throttle stunt with it bound up pretty bad.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:27 PM   #103
Quarry Creeper

ITs amazing that the plastic gears are still holding up strong!
4drmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:07 PM   #104
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4drmopar View Post
ITs amazing that the plastic gears are still holding up strong!
On that note.... forward motion is fine, except when the front gets bound up when it'll skip a gear or two. Going in reverse is a touchy thing. With a 6-cell stick pack, reverse is mostly grinding sounds. With the Lipo, reverse is do-able...probably due to the less weight on the chassis.

Next round of parts will be new transmission gears, few pairs of Yeah Racing CVDs and some RC4WD tires.
Old 09-14-2009, 06:28 AM   #105

Hey toyofast

You aren't kidding about the TA02 knuckles and the TA01 CVD's

The increased steering with these parts is silly

Looks like it was a good thing I bought an extra set of CVD's for spares
spankrjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:09 AM   #106

thanks guys now i know what i need to order for my jero
BoltSpeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:40 PM   #107

i dont get how your chomping through axels like this...i run a pretty stock pajero with trail docs on it. ive never twisted an axle and i do both slow steady crawls and high wheel speed uphill roosts. The only problem ive encountered is my rear differential keeps coming apart. (the 3 screws keep backing out because i never locktite them)
is this happening because of your increased steering throw? are you trying to bust wheelies from reverse to foreward (mine does) ima noob an i wanna make sure that i dont start destroying parts because i have zero patience for replacing brokend things. (that means bye bye tmaxx) is this possibly because of the mods the the a-arms youve made?
snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 05:34 PM   #108
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by snax View Post
i dont get how your chomping through axels like this...i run a pretty stock pajero with trail docs on it. ive never twisted an axle and i do both slow steady crawls and high wheel speed uphill roosts. The only problem ive encountered is my rear differential keeps coming apart. (the 3 screws keep backing out because i never locktite them)
is this happening because of your increased steering throw? are you trying to bust wheelies from reverse to foreward (mine does) ima noob an i wanna make sure that i dont start destroying parts because i have zero patience for replacing brokend things. (that means bye bye tmaxx) is this possibly because of the mods the the a-arms youve made?

When I run my rig, I use it pretty hard. Not always full throttle attacks on hills and such, that 4:1 and 45 turn motor don't allow much for speed.... But as I'm crawling slow, I have quite a bit of steering throw and those are the times when I break or bend an axle shaft. I can't really explain how I do it.

If you have zero patience for fixing broken parts or doing repairs... then crawling thing isn't going to be for you.
Old 10-20-2009, 10:13 PM   #109

Default nice build up so far

good
[707]KRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 02:57 PM   #110
Quarry Creeper

I have MIP CVD's in mine.... I doubt they make em anymore, but they have held up for... hmmmm 10+ years
Flowmastered87GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:09 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyofast View Post
When I run my rig, I use it pretty hard. Not always full throttle attacks on hills and such, that 4:1 and 45 turn motor don't allow much for speed.... But as I'm crawling slow, I have quite a bit of steering throw and those are the times when I break or bend an axle shaft. I can't really explain how I do it.

If you have zero patience for fixing broken parts or doing repairs... then crawling thing isn't going to be for you.

its not that i have no patience, let me reword it, i have little patience for constant problems, such as twisting axles over and over and over. it must be in the steering throw then, because i get my wheels jammed up in places and usually torque my way out of it. there is no hand of god in mine and crunks scaling adventures
snax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:31 PM   #112
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by snax View Post
its not that i have no patience, let me reword it, i have little patience for constant problems, such as twisting axles over and over and over. it must be in the steering throw then, because i get my wheels jammed up in places and usually torque my way out of it. there is no hand of god in mine and crunks scaling adventures

I was breaking the stock axles before any real modifications started, other than 3mm spacer lift and preloaded shocks. Had fewer issues since I started using the Yeah Racing CVD's and aluminum knuckles.

I think I have had some good luck with breaking front axles... I think it was a good thing really...... see the support GPM has given us? I'll take the credit for that, thank you If it wasn't for me breaking things, I never would have initially contacted GPM and started the support train I did here on RCC.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:36 PM   #113
I wanna be Dave

Okay.... GPM steering time. First off I'd like to thank everyone that helped get GPM onto the crawling scene and especially the CC-01 scene. With GPM becoming a player in the CC-01 world only means they will soon see the rest of the crawling world.

I received my steering kit a few days ago but with the recent McNugget drama, I put it on hold for the install. So, today I took a break from nugget mania and sat down with the CC-01 rig.

First up... Could they use more tape to secure the package? Crap. Second... how can the Chinese write their letters/words in that small of a space and still understand what it says. I could only make out my name.

Pictures and some captions.....

I received the black anodized version.

After looking at the hardware included, I decided to use my own. I can't stand phillips head screws.

Here's the pile I started with...

Lower suspension off and look at how nasty it is under there!

Underside installed and almost finished up. That black color lacks the bling factor... that's alright, I'm not a flashy guy.

First problem. Using the stock mounting hardware that came with the Pajero on the GPM steering, I seem to be short for connecting the tie-rod to the knuckle when the suspension was fully compressed. Although not a huge problem, it was a bit of a let down for being a bolt-on kit.

Simple spacer work solved the problem.....

Up top shot with everything back in place.....

Final thoughts....

For some, upon receiving this kit, you'll be upset that instructions for install were not included. A little messing around and you'll figure it out. I'd also recommend looking at the ones who have finished the install to see the proper way to install.

The misalignment between the tie-rod and knuckle bothered me a bit but then I remembered why I love this part of the hobby so much... you have to build along with install. I am also running non-factory parts mixed with different manufactures parts... I should have problems with parts not fitting properly.

One of the best things about this kit is now my little rig is able to turn it's wheels even when the front suspension is flexed in different directions. Before with the stock plastic setup, it's strain to move when the rig was flexed. Now, it turns like it was meant too. This is great. Now when crawling over a rock, I can turn when needed.

Is this a good buy? HELL YEAH!!! for less than $20 shipped you get a ball bearing steering that pretty much bolts into place. Parts are very good quality. Install is okay since you have to guess at how it all goes together. Communication between the customer and GPM is by far the best I've ever experienced. If you have to do one upgrade to your own CC-01, this is the must have upgrade.

Last edited by toyofast; 10-30-2009 at 12:04 AM.
Old 10-31-2009, 11:06 AM   #114
I wanna be Dave

Okay... I've had a couple days of running this steering setup. My first impressions are still valid BUT, yes, the dreaded but. I have started to notice some slop, not as much as the stock crappy steering but slop that I have decided is coming from the beat to hell chassis. I have noticed a few cracks in the steering tubes that this systems bolts onto or runs through.

IF you install this, look for previous damage to your chassis in the steering system areas. I think a new chassis will fix my problem. Also, use some locktight to keep these screws secure. I've had to tighten back down the screw on the top of the main shaft twice with only a few minutes of run time on it before I used locktight.
Old 11-01-2009, 05:15 PM   #115
I wanna be Dave

Another update...

After the GPM steering system was installed I moved onto the next "problem" issue with my CC-01.

-Body lift. Moved the body up approximately 4-5mm.
-New rear links that give me lots more clearance and better movement without the axle walking front to back. This also added about 5-6mm longer wheelbase.

Since the body is almost to the end of it's life, a mix of colors are now on it. Silver, black, olive drab and natural plastic white

Couple updated images......

I'll have a current video uploaded later today too.
Old 11-02-2009, 10:23 PM   #116
I wanna be Dave

Alright... another day, another problem!

I have contacted GPM concerning this matter. I might have gotten a bum steering kit or their design might need a bit of improvement. Either way, I'm still super happy with the kit.

The shaft and top arm don't seem to have enough contact material to make a solid fit. I am getting a decent amount of slop from this area, as well as some at the bottom of the shaft.

You can see the wear part already starting to show. That bare aluminum just shines through the black really well. It just needs more material to keep a solid fit.

I really hope GPM has a fix for this or replacement parts ready soon. If not, I'll JB-Weld one side solid and have to drill a hole and put a set screw in to keep the shaft and an arm from moving.

Anyone else having this issue yet?
Old 11-03-2009, 06:10 AM   #117
Quarry Creeper

Shame they just dont suck it up and make them from steel
4drmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:31 PM   #118
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4drmopar View Post
Shame they just dont suck it up and make them from steel

I think the aluminum is just fine, less weight and strong. I think the amount of material of the mating surfaces is too small. It needs more enguagement between the arm and shaft.

I have yet to receive a reply back from GPM about this. I think tonight I'll fix the lower end of the shaft so it's permanently attached to the bell-crank/arm. Then still leave the top as is so I can still remove the assembly if needed.

It still amazes me that it has taken 20 years for someone to mass produce a steering kit for these rigs.
Old 11-04-2009, 10:03 PM   #119
Rock Crawler

I hope they have a fix in the works, I just payed for my steering kit tonight, hate to get the fix and have to fix it.
fixed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:02 PM   #120
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed13 View Post
I hope they have a fix in the works, I just payed for my steering kit tonight, hate to get the fix and have to fix it.
Don't be mislead by my post... The steering kit is by far better than the stock steering setup. Even with the small amount of slop I'm seeing, I wouldn't even think about removing it. Overall it's 110% better than stock. Remember, my CC-01 is very abused. I have quite a bit of flex in the chassis where the steering system mounts. The plastic where the main shaft rides is cracked so I'm sure that has something to do with my issues.

GPM, Yeah Racing, RC4WD and the other companies I've used to mod my CC-01 have all been great to deal with and great products.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-xc-cc01/182040-toyofasts-cc-01-jero-goes.html
Posted By For Type Date
CC01= TA02 and TA03 Parts Compatability CONFIRMED - Page 3 - Scale 4x4 R/C Forums This thread Refback 10-05-2011 10:00 AM