Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Kaetwo's Jeep Wrangler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 03:55 PM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by killswitch View Post
they work. TA03 uses the same stock tamiya bones and stubs as the cc01/ta02n. I tested them in my ancient hacked xc chassis and I installed them a few nites ago in my new jeep kit. There's a few hop ups that will work on the front end from tamiya... hardened outrdives and heavy duty kingpins are the 2 that come to mind while i am at work. I think TA05 king pin/ball studs may work if you use a wheel with some offset (6mm hpi rims or the set of stock car rims with the excessive force mod). With a kingpin/ ballstud setup it may be possible to drop the front skid/arm mounts down to the limit of what the front driveshafts can handle and still keep the upper link geometry correct to avoid any crazy camber changes when the suspension cycles. I had the hardened outdrives back in the days of the xc. They are even listed in the hop up listing in the instruction manual for it. As for aluminum knuckles and C carriers, there were a ton of companies that made hop ups for the TA02 chassis back in the day... Cross, Kose, Tobee Craft, Kawada, Eagle, GPM, etc. Ill post some pics of the TA03 cvds up and hopefully get that cross reference parts list on here tonite when i get home from work.
Awsome information!!!

I'll have to scope out some TA03 goodies now

kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2009, 06:01 PM   #62
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for the info. from everyone.
flybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:18 PM   #63
Quarry Creeper

Kaetwo could u take pics of the front bummper and how u cut it? im trying to figure out how to do mine and i dont want to cut the stock body mount. and your truck is one of the few tht still uses the stock mount. if u could tht would be great.
Georgerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 01:11 PM   #64
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgerm View Post
Kaetwo could u take pics of the front bummper and how u cut it? im trying to figure out how to do mine and i dont want to cut the stock body mount. and your truck is one of the few tht still uses the stock mount. if u could tht would be great.
I'm not sure that I can take much more detail as all the bits and parts are glued into place, however I'll do my best to describe the mod.

1 - I cut the face off the brick wall in a slanted direction from front to back. This cut started from about 1/4" below the stock body mount and produced a nice ramp like effect.
2 - I cut the sides of the brick wall from the same spot as the front (1/4" below the stock body mount) down and inward to produce a nice slant. The creates a nice compound angle.
3 - Glue a piece of 2.0 Styrene cut to fit to the face and let dry.
4 - Next glue 2 pieces of 2.0 Styrene cut to fit to the sides and let dry.
5 - I then created a small delrin block to mount to the bottom of the new face assembly. This finished off the look and filled in the lower gap normally taken up by the bumper we all remove. Your notice in the picture that it's pretty rough looking on my rig as I still need to finish the front end with some thinner Styrene to make it look a bit more clean.
6 - Last on the list of things to do is fill that void up with Shoe Goo. This glue is the duct tape of glue. It dries fairly hard but is flexible enough to handle some pretty good movement. It's also removable, but beware it eats some plastics. Fortunately for us it doesn't eat Tamiya CC-01 Chassis plastic Just glue a layer and then let dry. Add another layer and let dry. Repeat this process until the whole void is filled (see image below). The creates a halla strong setup and allows you to use the stock body mount without modifying anything other than the chassis itself.

I hope that helps

Attached Images

Old 08-14-2009, 01:36 PM   #65
RCC Addict

I must have missed it, but where did the ball bearing kit for the steering come from? I'm guessing you made the arms, but where did the rest come from? Cool rig though. Surprising that the mini esc can handle a 540 motor, would have never tried it myself.
@tw!ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 02:00 PM   #66
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by @tw!ll View Post
I must have missed it, but where did the ball bearing kit for the steering come from? I'm guessing you made the arms, but where did the rest come from? Cool rig though. Surprising that the mini esc can handle a 540 motor, would have never tried it myself.
It's made by CR/CC Designs but he's no longer selling them. PinchFlat is selling one here;

http://utrcrc.freeforums.org/a-pinch...sale-t235.html

The arms where made buy me as you guessed but the kit itselfs works really well as is. I need to paint my assembly black so that it's not such an eye sore

As far as the Tekin B1-R....It's the mack daddy for these rigs. I've hit that ESC with so much power and it works great. I'm running a 65x1 I think with a 3C lipo and it runs great.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:39 PM   #67
I wanna be Dave

Well it's time for some updates

I spent some time on the body, making a better spare tire carrier, detailing the body and just cleaning up the overall look.

I think she's finally done

Attached Images

Old 08-21-2009, 01:46 PM   #68
Pebble Pounder

That Jeep turned at pretty nice. Kinda always thought I would stick with the Jero, but yours makes me want to get a Wrangler.
FuriousCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:13 PM   #69

That is one sweet looking jeep.Love the color
crawler-king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 02:52 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousCal View Post
That Jeep turned at pretty nice. Kinda always thought I would stick with the Jero, but yours makes me want to get a Wrangler.
You won't be sorry. The other cool thing about the Jeep body is that you can run a larger tire, which make the rig so much more capable

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawler-king View Post
That is one sweet looking jeep.Love the color
Thanks!

Old 08-21-2009, 02:55 PM   #71
RCC Addict

Yeah , youre wrangler bodylooks real good, and makes me think i should paint my yj body and use it instead of the liberty body.

Thanks for a very informative thread , i've learned alot.
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:38 PM   #72
Rock Crawler

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaetwo View Post
Thanks! It's good to see you out and about

you never know when i may pop up
chafey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:42 PM   #73
'08 2.2 National Champ

It's looking great! I can't wait until next Saturday when we get to run them! Are you going to narrow up the bumper?
Just Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 01:50 PM   #74
I wanna be Dave

You'll have to ask Unimog
Old 09-01-2009, 12:38 PM   #75
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaetwo View Post
You'll have to ask Unimog
had a blast with it at our comp on sat. thanks K2, you da man.
Unimoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:30 PM   #76
Quarry Creeper

I was slowly accumulating parts for a scale build and always overlooked the cc-01 because it wasn't a "real" scale rig. Well, after driving this Jeep at our comp last weekend I've decided to give up on the scale build and buy a cc-01. This little rig was a blast to drive.
TruckerBrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:46 AM   #77
Quarry Creeper

Has anyone tried the GPM universals?

Do they last?
tpliquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:52 PM   #78
I wanna be Dave

the little cc-01's are addicting...I have two running and two project cc-01's...
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 01:26 PM   #79
RCC Addict

rig looks awesome
JOOTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 02:46 PM   #80
Quarry Creeper

OK i just emailed MIP see if they are still able to re manufacture these.

MIP 1175 - Silver Dog Bones
MIP 1100 - Stub Axles
MIP 1015 - Rebuild Kit
tpliquid is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-xc-cc01/187841-kaetwos-jeep-wrangler.html
Posted By For Type Date
UTRCRC - View topic - CC-01 tech This thread Refback 10-04-2011 10:31 PM