Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: So starts my CC-01 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2009, 10:14 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default So starts my CC-01 build

Well after quite a few weeks of waiting for parts, getting the wrong ones, buying mislabled parts etc... I finally got under way last night. I decided the front end definitly needed to be bobbed as yes,that brickwall front was a pain and an approach angle killer. So as you can see, a slight modification was made to the chassis.

Then I decided with a longer wheelbase, I definitly needed a longer driveshaft and I'm just not a fan of the glued together Traxxas shafts. I'm sure they work fine, but, I like a more "finished looked". Don't mind me, it's just my OCD. SO I took a drive-shaft set from a Maxx truck from teh diff to teh wheels, and used THAT instead. The stubshaft coming out of a Maxx trans is larger in siges so I needed to make a sleeve to "grow" the shaft size to fit it into the Traxxas knuckle. Inside the knuckle has 2 flat spots since Traxxas has 2 flat sides on their shafts. Tamiya has only 1 so I took a small dremel ball tip ( drillbit works too kinda) and removed it so there was only 1 flat spot. I slid the sleeve over the Tamiya shaft, used a pair of pliars to flatten the tub on the flat spot, and slipped it in the Traxxas knuckle. You also have ot pick up (4) 4mm set screws as I opnted to not use the Traxxas units. I wanted a set screw on each side,no one long one. Slide it on the shaft, adjest if to make it straight if you need to and cinch the setscrews in. Now you have a seriously heavyduty driveshaft!

The rear suspension needed soem attention too as the way I made new link mounts etc didn't let the shocks mount properly and I wasn't looking to use bicycle chain halflinks as extentions. I ended up using TLT-1 brackets and modifying the lower links extensivly with a Dremel

Next I fitted up some of the LandRover wheels and tires from my brother stash and test fit them, way better than the stock size BFG's but I might use the black Hummer wheels I have though,not sure. Next I finally got a body from Crunky and had to figure a way to mount it without the typcial holes in the hood or sides....so I fabbed up a mount system using the stock mounts on the body and a few pieces of aluminum angle and some old RC10L body posts. With that done, now I just needed to do do the back,I cheated and put 2 extremely short posts through the bed floor where I can easily hide it with a spare tire, coolers etc.....

I'm not too convinced yet this is the body thats staying and yes I know I need to trim the wheel openings some etc. This WILL do for now however but I think I am going ot keep looking for a Jeep SUV body or a LandRover Discovery etc....
During all this time.... the ENTIRE truck has been gone over and reworked as well. When I bought it it was a basketcase. The bearings have been cleaned and oiled with Royal Purple, a new gear set was ordered and installed since the PO looks like he was too cheap for bearings for a while and they were badly worn. The diffs were filled wth OFNA 120,000 weight silicone after assembling them with allthe standard gears. It's been a month and it hasn't leaked out at ALL. So all the naysayers... you may be right in a few MORE months,but its GREAT now. Its a limited slip unit basically. It WILL let a wheel spin alone and still turn in a tighter radius but it won't free spin at high RPM because of how thick the fluid is.
More to come as I get to it....
4drmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2009, 12:42 PM   #2

well done, small but effective mods. Gives me ideas for my Pajero. How did you mount TLT brackets to axle case? I saw cycle chain mounted also but couldn't figure out the way they're mounted. Do you screw them to axle case? Is there enough clearence to axle shaft?

Asil
asil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 03:43 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Yeah trim those fenders and mount it a little lower to hide more of the chassis and that thing will be pretty sweet. Nice body mounts.
FuriousCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:10 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Default CC-01 Build

Looking good sofar. Keep up the hard work. Let us know how things come along.
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Well, so far I cant drop the body any lower in the back,without raising the floor of the bed,which I was trying to avoid....as for the rear mounts, I used the original hole for teh arm mounts and drilled a small hole in the axle tube on each side and used a short 3x8 selftapper in it for the center hole.... the bottom mount is the same as the top, only its been trimmed and ground down some with a dremel for better clearance..

Last edited by 4drmopar; 08-17-2009 at 05:09 PM.
Old 08-20-2009, 08:39 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4drmopar View Post
Well, so far I cant drop the body any lower in the back,without raising the floor of the bed,which I was trying to avoid....as for the rear mounts, I used the original hole for teh arm mounts and drilled a small hole in the axle tube on each side and used a short 3x8 selftapper in it for the center hole.... the bottom mount is the same as the top, only its been trimmed and ground down some with a dremel for better clearance..
Got the idea. Thanks..

Asil
asil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:05 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Lookin great so far bro, I have one suggestion that will help with the links that will hang up the way they are now mounted. Just drill a hole in the side of the molded in frame rails and use a 3mm bolt, lock nut and washer on each side. Trust me, it will glide over everything, where the way you have it now, they link ends and screw head will catch on everything.

blackfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:01 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Well, Once I get a body on there I really like.. I'm gonna mess with shock legnths as they bottom out before the tires rub the chassis and I am losing almost 3/4" travel because of it..... I am 99% sure I am going to sell the Chevy HD body I just got and use a new Nissan Pickup body..... Team Blue Groove on Ebay is doing Lexan re-productions of them and mine will be here in a few days.... I figure the suspension is a nice match to the real truck, so why not?
Old 08-20-2009, 01:45 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Do you have a pic of the Nissan body? Is it a Frontier or Hardbody? I would love to find a D40 platform Frontier body to match my 1:1 truck.
FuriousCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 01:49 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I'm HOPING these links will work....It's a D21 Hardbody 86.5 to 93 I think was the bodystyle, not sure,might have been till 96.

Old 08-31-2009, 10:03 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Well, after a few days of the body ebing here and not having time to touch it, its painted and on, just no lighting in it yet, still working on that, bear with me... I think I am going ot mount the light units to the chassis ,rather than the body so the body is easier to get off with less wiring crap....
The body is a Team Blue Groove Reproduction of the famous Tamiya Nissan King Cab. The detail isnt perfect or super definied so its hard to hit your body lines for lights etc when cutting the masking unless you trace them in Sharpie on the otherside first. This IS good however as you have some leeway to be as detailed or undetailed as you want. Bear in mind there is NO overspray mask so tape the outside up accordingly! I'll keep ya updated! Love this body
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-31-2009, 10:12 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

looks very cool! Love that body too!
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:29 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Well, the MRC speedcontrol is in and rewird and runs great! Its not a HUGE improvement over the stock Tamiya ESC but the dragbrake IS nice With the soft tires on it and the drag brake, letting off the gas hard on concrete results in screaching howling tires that kinda makes me giggle lol. So anywayz I am gonna work on modifying the stock bumper to fit this better and double as a skid plate, I bought new aluminum angle stock today from work so I will focus on that tomorrow on my first day off. I am also gonna do a light install for headlights tomorrow as a test fit, but rather than glue them to the body I am thinking of tring to mount them to the chassis so they flush up TO the body but stay onboard. The taillights I am most likly gonna use polished aluminum angle bracket and some seperate lights. the rear lights I don't own yet,the fronts I only hav ein stanard halogen bulbs and need to source some LED units.
Old 09-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

You keep your wires very tidy, it makes me look like a slob
TrickyNickro is offline   Reply With Quote