Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Loose wheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2014, 11:57 PM   #1

Default Loose wheels

I just put on a set of HPI wheels and I can feel some looseness more so than stock, I'm not sure if it because of the plastic bearings or hex hub itself. When I took the hex of my cc01 Pajero and stuck in the wheel I notice a little bit of play more than what the stock rims have, enough to wiggle the hub, it's probably nothing to be worried about being that my RC is no rocket and is use for trail running and bashing the wheels are 12mm hex compatible but I'm stumped as to why there is more wiggle room than my stock Tamiya wheels, I'm only having this problem on the front though, they don't wiggle on the rear axle. I may just order a set of HPI 12mm hex hubs for the front.
Jero is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2014, 07:39 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Loose wheels

Couple things might be happening.

Check the HPI rims for the hole size that your axle fits through...it may be 5mm instead of 4mm. You would need the step hex to fix that problem.

The other thing it could be is, the thickness of the center area where the 4mm(or 5mm) mounting hole is. Some HPI rims, especially 2.2's, come with a thin washer for the outside, under the nut. This compensates for the step hex. Also, your nut may be bottoming out on the axle before reaching full lock down on the rim. Try adding a thin washer under the nut.

HPI sells a wheel adapter set also.

Hope this helps.
58_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 08:39 AM   #3

thanks, I gave your tips a shot. the wheel nut wasn't bottoming out, it was able to get a full lock. Under further inspection it seems that the plastic bushing were the week link after all, I have a set for the front on the way, I was beginning to think I was going to have to send them back.
Jero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 10:06 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

I've run hpi wheels on mine with no problem. I was gonna say bushings. It's what mine did.
slow1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2014, 04:30 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Great that you figured it out. Replacing the plastic and bronze bushings with bearings, is usually the first thing to be upgraded on these. First chance you get, replace them all with ball bearings. Makes a world of difference overall.
58_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote

Loose wheels - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
loose c hubs Melonhead Trey Axial AX-10 Scorpion 10 02-04-2010 12:12 AM
wheels locking up and a loose front end Redfinger EnRoute Berg 8 01-08-2010 05:37 PM
Wheels Coming loose GrapeApe EnRoute Berg 10 12-06-2009 06:23 AM
proline titus wheels, loose? indiana mudcat Tires and Wheels 7 09-12-2009 05:07 PM