Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: CC-01: Hop Ups and other goodies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 08:10 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default CC-01: Hop Ups and other goodies

I dug through my tamiya dealer books and cross referenced a bunch of parts info. I also dug through some Car Action mags with articles about the TA02.

As far as the front drives go, CC/XC-01= TA02 (narrow)= TA03 front= FF01. MIP CVDs for TA02(narrow) and TA03 fit perfect. The MIP part numbers for TA02N CVDs can be found here: Kaetwo's Jeep Wrangler
MIP TA03 part numbers: 1225 for the shiny bones (2 per pack) and 1226 for the CVD axle (1 per pack) Any 1/10th MIP CVD coupler will fit.
TA01 and TA02W do not work without different steering knuckles.
If you have to have tamiya parts the universal driveshafts part number is 53172. Good luck finding some...

Steering knuckles for CC-01, TA02N, TA03, and FF01 are all the same parts. Aluminum pieces spec'd for these should interchange.

C carriers for CC01 appear to be the same parts as used on TA02N and FF01. TA03 carriers have different geometry. I cant cross reference the part #s since tamiya molds these parts on different trees for different kits, but the parts breakdowns all have identically drawn parts and the TA02N cars I saw in the RCCAs use the same carriers as the CC01. TA03 are definitely different.

These tamiya hop ups fit (Ive used them before when the first rtr jero was released):
53218 Touring Car Hard Joint Cup Set
53141 Lightweight King Pins (these use an allen driver to install and are flat against the c carrier... no more button head sticking down on the bottom of the carrier.
53172 TA02/FF Front Universals

These should fit as Ive seen these on a few FF chassis and TA02 kits on Tamiyaclub.com, and they look just like the CC01 carriers, but I dont have them and havent seen them on a CC01:
53226 Aluminum front hub carriers

There were a ton of companies that sold blingin' hop ups for the tamiya touring car kits back in the day. Here's a list of manufacturers that I can verify made parts for the TA02N/FF01/TA03:
Kose, Tobee Craft, Kawada, Cross, Rainbow, Phoenix, HPI, Tech Racing, GPM, Eagle
Some of this stuff was Asian market only so good luck. A company called GTP California imported a lot of the stuff as well.
I think trinity had some stuff out at one time, but i cant find anything for sure.

Hope this info helps and post up if you guys have any other info on this stuff.

Last edited by killswitch; 08-12-2009 at 08:13 PM.
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2009, 10:06 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

subscribed for future updates!!
thanks!
Nice to meet another OCD'er
4drmopar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:56 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Excellent write-up!!!!

I was always curious about the C-Carrier options and now I know just what to get.

Thanks!!!

kaetwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 12:24 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the helpful info
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 01:52 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Anytime you guys need tamiya numbers cross referenced let me know. I have 2 tamiya dealer books that span the original blackfoot/mountaineer stuff through the TA04 touring cars (I think my newest one is from 2006/2007). Just let me know what you are looking for and I can probably find it. Its really nice when you're looking for older parts because a lot of the part numbers have changed and the same parts may be used in a newer kit with a different part number...
Old 08-13-2009, 02:27 PM   #6

What kills me is I had a Tamiya TA02 FF with front aluminum knuckles and Tamiya universals for years and I gave it a way last spring before I ever thought about buying a CC-01.
Drew84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 07:47 PM   #7
RCC Addict

i was wondering if any of tamiya's 4WD buggies from arms would fit on a CC/XC. or if the wild dagger front arms would fit...
STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:34 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER View Post
i was wondering if any of tamiya's 4WD buggies from arms would fit on a CC/XC. or if the wild dagger front arms would fit...
its possible. a arms are fairly easy to adapt to other vehicles as long as theres enough material on the mount and arm to do some trimming/fitting. The main issue with running longer arms is you have to find longer dogbones/cvds to make it all work.
Old 08-16-2009, 03:55 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Nice, this should be a sticky.....

good wright up....
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:40 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by killswitch View Post
its possible. a arms are fairly easy to adapt to other vehicles as long as theres enough material on the mount and arm to do some trimming/fitting. The main issue with running longer arms is you have to find longer dogbones/cvds to make it all work.
If you are saying that the TA02 steering knuckles and the likes fit then I could see the A-Arms fitting too. I have 2 TA02's at home, 1 being the Tamiya Hummer which has short A-Arms compared to the Tamiya Blazing Star which would be a good 20-25mm wider. I will compare A-Arms for compatibility tonight and let you all know. The only problem I could see with running wider fronts is you would have to widen or use some serious spacers for the rear differential ?
SMUDGEBUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:47 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMUDGEBUG View Post
If you are saying that the TA02 steering knuckles and the likes fit then I could see the A-Arms fitting too. I have 2 TA02's at home, 1 being the Tamiya Hummer which has short A-Arms compared to the Tamiya Blazing Star which would be a good 20-25mm wider. I will compare A-Arms for compatibility tonight and let you all know. The only problem I could see with running wider fronts is you would have to widen or use some serious spacers for the rear differential ?
The Humvee chassis is actually the DF-01. I have a TL01 and have both sets of arms and dogs for it. I will have to see if everything will swap over for you guys. I like my CC01's set up just the way they are, so it will be done just to see if any of it will work out for you all, to save you all buyin unwanted or needed parts and wasting money.
blackfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 10:26 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
The Humvee chassis is actually the DF-01. I have a TL01 and have both sets of arms and dogs for it. I will have to see if everything will swap over for you guys. I like my CC01's set up just the way they are, so it will be done just to see if any of it will work out for you all, to save you all buyin unwanted or needed parts and wasting money.
Im not saying your wrong blackfoot, but my Tamiya Hummer is a TA02 chassis it even says it on the instruction book ? and my other TA02 chassis that I have just given to a friend is exactly the same as the hummer ? Maybe tamiya used the same chassis and just changed the name ?

This is my Hummer here >>>>>> http://www.tamiyausa.com/product/ite...oduct-id=58154
SMUDGEBUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 11:52 PM   #13
RCC Addict

the original hummer was on a ta02 chassis but it used some ta01/ta02w stuff per the dealer book. the dog bones are the same but it uses ta02w stub axles and different knuckles. Tamiya mixed and matched parts on a ton of the ta01/ta02 based rides, depending on what body/drive train set up they were trying to build. The hummer was rebadged a df01 when it was brought out as a xb rtr, but it still uses the same a,b,c,d and e part numbers as the original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
I like my CC01's set up just the way they are, so it will be done just to see if any of it will work out for you all, to save you all buyin unwanted or needed parts and wasting money.
I like it as well because its very simple and extremely durable (dog bones excluded because Ive broken/bent a bunch), but the setup can definitely be improved upon. My biggest complaint is the amount of slop present before the chassis has ever touched the ground. I used to race touring and 12th scale on carpet, so Im pretty OCD when it comes to removing all of the slop. I could spend a ton of time using epoxy, shims, etc to clean it up, but id rather find some parts that can clean up the majority of the slop fairly quickly. Please by all means post up if you find other parts that fit, thats why I started this thread in the first place.

Last edited by killswitch; 08-17-2009 at 12:06 AM.
Old 08-17-2009, 04:06 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Oh, I know its a TA01/02 chassis, I just wanted to try my hand at being anally PC, lol. I have a the Humvee, a TA02 as well as a TA01 and they are all about the same thing except a few tiny variations.
blackfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 06:41 AM   #15
RCC Addict

LOL glad to know Im not the only old timer around here.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:42 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

seein' as how I'm 34 and was racing a Sledgehammer in stock truck class before they changed the rules to deal with it.. your not the only guy who is an oldertimer! lol
Old 08-17-2009, 10:18 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Thank you guys for the great info.
RCtweakR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 10:26 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4drmopar View Post
seein' as how I'm 34 and was racing a Sledgehammer in stock truck class before they changed the rules to deal with it.. your not the only guy who is an oldertimer! lol
the sledgehammer.... got a soft spot for white nylon myself. I had one of those all decked out with a A&L suspension kit.
Old 08-17-2009, 10:36 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

yep,take the pogo spring body mounts off, dril though the mounting nubs,turn them into the bodyposts, cut the wheelwell openings bigger and eat every blackfoot and kingcab in sight!
Old 08-19-2009, 01:40 PM   #20

Been here, done this

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/sho...highlight=ta02
spankrjs is offline   Reply With Quote