Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: SAS cc-01 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2009, 02:09 AM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default SAS cc-01 build (rolling chassis-9.1.09)

Katan approached me a while back about doing a build using the new beowulf axles for the cc-01/xc chassis that he designed for RC4WD. Beautiful axles. Frankly, I have way too much on my plate with the builds I have going on right now, and with work really kicking my arse I have no business taking this on...I mean, I haven't had any real time to do serious building OR hit the rocks and make videos! THATS bad, lol.
...But I couldnt resist the challenge of trying to make this work in an easy way so here we are.

See the front Beowulf cc-01/xc axle here: http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_...roducts_id=801

Front and rear axles, axial trans for tcase, cc-01 chassis (currently on swb but will be run lwb).

remove front axle assembly

remove diff and gear that drives the diff, then cut away the area that held the diff.

I'm not sure exactly how much I'll need to cut away in the end but started with the front axle diff area. Pulled the front axles and related gears. Whats left is the spur, that drives the lower gear driving the rear axle.

leaving the front block for now in case I need it for leafs.

ended up getting a Cold Case transfer case, my favorite (particularly good in this case due to size). will be easier to work with than the axial.

measure about 2-3/4" clear at the rails

they'll likely tuck...

In terms of body I'm not 100% sure what I'll run. Plan A is to finish the sequoia and run it on this. The sequoia plan was always a cc-01 and doing a SAS on a Sequoia seems appropriate, lol.
Plan B would be a defender 90 hardbody with the top cut off completely, windshield to back of body.

I'm using an old cc-01 chassis I have and I'll replace parts its missing as I need. I'll be using stock MRC shocks (same length as pajero shocks but narrower, because I have them). May eventually go with 90mm dual rate shocks. I suspect I'll have the travel capability for those.

WHY do a SAS? why not?
More as I can get to it...

Last edited by pantablo; 09-02-2009 at 01:52 AM.
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2009, 05:27 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Excellent
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 08:46 AM   #3
RCC Addict

very interesting build.
JOOTZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:45 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Been waiting to see a build-up on a SAS for while. Seems like there are a few SASed rigs floating around the site but no build-up. This will be sweet.
FuriousCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 11:50 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I SAS'ed a CC-01 with an MRC, just FYI for everyone wondering.

Need more updates Pablo i wanna see it rollin and at ride height.
With MRC's under mine thats all the more i had to cut off the bottom of the tub for the axle to clear.
ScalerLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:08 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousCal View Post
Been waiting to see a build-up on a SAS for while. Seems like there are a few SASed rigs floating around the site but no build-up. This will be sweet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalerLover View Post
I SAS'ed a CC-01 with an MRC, just FYI for everyone wondering.

Need more updates Pablo i wanna see it rollin and at ride height.
With MRC's under mine thats all the more i had to cut off the bottom of the tub for the axle to clear.
Yep, scalerlover isnt getting any love for his. However, Scalerlover's rig basically used the cc01 chassis as a chasiss for a MRC based build. I don't consider it actually a SAS because the entire running gear was something else.

This build will use the cc01 transmission, with the gears that drive the front pulled out. The rear axle is a Beowulf OEM replacement casing that will use the stock cc01 internals. The front matching axle comes with its own internals to match the existing rears. So the rig will be a cc01 with the addition of a front solid axle and transfer case only.
I'll locate the tcase to allow me room for a RC4WD reduction unit later. Those are really great little things they make. SO worth the money (highly recommend them!).

I will make the front a 4-link. leafs are a great idea but I've never done them and want to make this a)easy on me and b)easy for the average hobbyist to do this as well. In that regard I will also use a standard body so the whole process should be easy to replicate for most. So no crew cabs or bodywork on this one.

The one thing I think is needed though is a link mount like the other RC4WD axles have. that way no real fabrication is needed, opening this mod up to the largest audience (Katan, you listening? lol). For my build I'll fab one up from brake line.

Still undecided on body...
Old 08-21-2009, 01:19 PM   #7
Hateraide

sweet cant wait to see more of this build, its cool to see someone do a nice sas swap
Code454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:31 PM   #8
RCC Addict

This is really going to a different build , good on you giving it a go with your busy life.
Its going to make the CC a totally different beast, and its way cool that rc4wd have made a SAS axle so builders can actually do this themselves.

Looking forward to the updates Pantablo , well done.
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:12 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Nice start. Are you gonna try to hide the steering servo in the brick wall?
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:50 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

SSSAAAAWEEEETTT i've been wondering how that would all work out and frankly been waiting for someone else to do it first! thanks it looking good!
Redronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:08 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

thanks guys. its very promising and I'm excited about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by killswitch View Post
Nice start. Are you gonna try to hide the steering servo in the brick wall?
yes, I'll install the servo up front like on my other rig and may leave the brick up front or remove it if it gets hung up on stuff.
Old 08-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantablo View Post

In that regard I will also use a standard body so the whole process should be easy to replicate for most. So no crew cabs or bodywork on this one.
Did I read that correctly?! You aren't going to cut up a body? Well I guess you got your fill of cutting on the chassis
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 05:18 PM   #13
RCC Addict

can't wait to see how this SAS turns out, just got my first CC-01 in the mail yesterday
Mad4Rnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 06:32 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

nice dude!
Redwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:47 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yep, scalerlover isnt getting any love for his. However, Scalerlover's rig basically used the cc01 chassis as a chasiss for a MRC based build. I don't consider it actually a SAS because the entire running gear was something else.
WOW I didnt know you were only allowed to change axles when doing a SAS.. humm I would bet that would be news to allot of people.
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:32 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Okay, so I'm not a noobie, but does SAS stand for straight axle suspension?
papabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 06:42 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Solid Axle Swap.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 11:10 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Thanks! Sometimes the little things are easy to get hung up on........
papabash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:10 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppy View Post
WOW I didnt know you were only allowed to change axles when doing a SAS.. humm I would bet that would be news to allot of people.
if you change the trans, motor, both axles then its not really a SAS is it?
Old 08-26-2009, 01:18 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
if you change the trans, motor, both axles then its not really a SAS is it?
Well what are you doing then? Rc4wd's axle's are the same concept as the MRC's. You have to use your own suspension setup, figure out a motor setup, and the trans....
Terminator13 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-xc-cc01/195354-sas-cc-01-build.html
Posted By For Type Date
ALL about RC ADVENTURE - Kaskus - The Largest Indonesian Community This thread Refback 10-07-2011 12:04 AM