Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: CC01/XC Hummer H3 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2009, 03:05 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default CC01/XC Hummer H3 build Update 9/10/10

Started this build on rc4wd a few days ago, but figured I'd share! It's my first build and, to be honest, I'm quite proud of it. Lol.

Lots of pictures below!

Maya Group 1:10 Hummer H3, out of the box.

A nice rear-end!

Beautiful included interior!

Starting off. Temporary links until I can get some better hardware in. EMaxx steering links.

First body mock-up.

Body mounted. I decided to use the tried and true posts/pins method because I'm using a Traxxas XL5 ESC, and I need to take the body off of the truck to turn the ESC on/off.

A decent amount of flex, even with the temporary links.

The bright, included soft-blue LEDs.

Interior mounting.

Driveshafts and pilot bearing.

Still a lot to do! I want to do more detailing on the body, mostly in the form of highlighting panel lines with a panel line pen. The front diff is locked. Tires/wheels are going to be HPI black 10-spokes with RC4WD Dirt Grabbers. New links need to be made and all of the linkages on the steering will be rebuilt and tightened up. Still waiting for either RC4WD or GPM to get their alloy steering kits out. Also going to pick up a set of the 80mm internal spring scale shocks from RC4WD with red boots.

Lots to do!

Current running gear:

Fifty Five motor
XL-5 ESC
Associated high-torque servo
3600MAh Wolfpack 6c battery
Airtronics MX-3 radio

'Real strong runner. Just needs better shoes!

Last edited by rampage; 09-10-2010 at 11:49 AM.
rampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2009, 05:32 AM   #2

Good start on your H3. Where did you get that body from? I'm looking to build a copy of my 1:1.
deepvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:57 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I like it!

Seems to fit the CC just nicely. I also like how you used the interior.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 11:24 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Ooh, a 1:1 owner. That's great!

The body, you can get from Target or Amazon. Just search "Maya H3" and pick up the 1:10th scale one. They also have one in 1:18th. It's only $49.00, which is a great price for what you get, I think!

I'm thinking about a 1:1 as well. But I'll likely wait a few years until I can get an Alpha at a nice, pre-owned price.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:42 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Great start. Love the body.

Found one here for $48.xx

http://www.bizrate.com/robotic_radio...572863565.html
2brokefor1:1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:51 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

That's the one! Apparently it comes in either red or yellow. It really is a great body. Very detailed, and nice and thick. Weighs a ton, too. I'm going to have to beef up the springs, because, like her 1:1 sister's, she's a heafty girl.
Old 10-09-2009, 08:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampage View Post
Ooh, a 1:1 owner. That's great!

The body, you can get from Target or Amazon. Just search "Maya H3" and pick up the 1:10th scale one. They also have one in 1:18th. It's only $49.00, which is a great price for what you get, I think!

I'm thinking about a 1:1 as well. But I'll likely wait a few years until I can get an Alpha at a nice, pre-owned price.
Just go get one. The price isn't bad now. A do anything go anywhere suv and can take the family.( she's not a pavement queen).
deepvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:32 PM   #8
RCC Addict

looks cool man, nice pillot bearing on that drive shaft
Mad4Rnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:01 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Very nice! I will definitely be following your build.

I would love to build a white one with black rims just like my 1:1.
Bellvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 02:49 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the comments! Especially from the 1:1 owners. It's cool to get your input, since I'm trying to make this build as near-scale as possible, including things like rideheight and the likes. I think I've got it pretty good so far! We'll see how it sits with the Dirt Grabbers when I get them.

Not much work tonight, unfortunately. Got tired pretty early and don't really have a lot to do until I place my orders, probably around payday.

But I did work on the steering a bit. I noticed that after I locked the front diff, the steering was virtually nullified. Studying the C-hubs a bit, there were two small flanges and a pin the back of each C-hub that prevented the knuckles from moving quite a bit..So I removed them.

Got lots of steering now. Steers better then it did with the front diff open and the rear diff locked.

Quote:
looks cool man, nice pillot bearing on that drive shaft
Thanks! And thanks for the idea! It's definitely very neat. The mechanical aspect of this is almost as cool as the rest of it, which is why I've always wanted a CC01 to begin with. I never even thought about the pilot bearing until I saw your build! It's nowhere near as clean as yours, but I'm pretty damned surprised it came out working! For some reason, the picture makes it look crooked--it's not. Perspective is a weird thing.

Last edited by rampage; 10-10-2009 at 02:52 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:59 AM   #11

nice build i like the color
vin_nilla go_rilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:18 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Well, I don't really have much else to do until I can get the rest of the stuff I need--wheels, tires, things of that sort, so I went ahead with some of the misc. details. Like this.

Scale skidplate.

I think it looks great on there. I'm going to paint it aluminum, so it more matches some of the 1:1s.

Last edited by rampage; 10-10-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:38 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Wow, that skid plate looks great! Just like my 1:1.

I have a ton of pics of my 1:1 off-roading, let me know if you need any.
Bellvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:54 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Location: Long Island-Land of one batch of rocks in Sag Harbor and at least one fellow crawler

Nice work, I love the skid!
eddievedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:28 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Thanks! I really appreciate the comments! I like the front skid too. I may try to "bring it up" a bit tho so that the lip meets the bumper. I know it's a flowing component on the 1:1, and I like that look.

Update!

I said before I wanted to do a roof rack to help hide the rear body posts, and I went ahead and did it! I went rummaging thru some of my old parts and found a nice rack, got it modded and bolted on the truck. In the excitement, I kind of screwed up and drilled one of the holes in the wrong place..So I just moved one of the OEM cross racks back a bit. It sits a bit crooked, but I won't tell if you won't, right? :sht:

Anyway, the rack is on, looks great I think and does what it's supposed to do..draws attention away from the body posts.

Since I'm going to be keeping the links I have on there at least until I can build new ones around payday, I went ahead and adjusted them properly and got the shocks 'mounted'.

Short slips of fuel tubing over the link. Shocks don't budge.

I also stiffened the rear springs. Associated 3.20 lb RC10B2/B3 front springs. Work great! Gives me the height I want with no sag while staying super-flexible and "springy".

Last edited by rampage; 10-12-2009 at 03:38 AM.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:10 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Just a little update tonight. I went ahead and added some steps.

I think they look good on there! Add a bit of character to the body.

I'm still just trying to occupy myself until I get the rest of my stuff.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:07 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

In my brief runs of the truck, I was sort of worried about my radio range. Got lots of twitching over just a few feet with the TX's antenna down, and it's an FM radio, so yeah. I want to keep the antenna hidden, so I have come up with a solution.

It'll be painted black before I'm done, but I thought it came out really neat-looking. Functional, too! I'm going to route the antenna from the RX to the scale antenna, and with any sort of luck, my radio issues will end.
Old 10-13-2009, 12:50 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I think these are the closest to the split 7-spoke wheels I'm ever going to find, so I'll be using these when they're available. I'll strip the chome off and paint them, probably black.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:04 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Those are pretty cool, and they are probably the closest 12mm hex wheel to the originals, but can you use the originals?

It seems you might be able to modify them to work with the CC wheels...

What size were the ones that came with the body?
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 03:10 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I thought about trying to use the originals, but they're an odd size. They're like 2.1" or so, not 1.9 and not 2.2..They're just a really odd size. They look too big for the truck, and that's the thing that really kept me from trying to use them. They just look too big.

The HPI wheels are 29mm width, instead of the standard touring car 26mm, but I don't think that'll make a huge difference with the Dirt Grabber wheels. Also the minimum 3mm offset worries me a bit, but if push comes to shove I ca use skinnier hexes.