Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: New Land Cruiser Project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2009, 08:57 PM   #1

Default New Land Cruiser Project

This project started when I completed my first wooden boat model. I wanted a scale truck to pull the boat, and ended up discovering crawling trucks! I did a ton of research and found the cc-01 would do a little of everything... bash, crawl, pull, look good on display... etc. I don't want to modify the chassis too extensively, so I read many, many of your threads and came up with a few things I would like to incorporate into this project...

A sweet CR-01 Bronco body for display
The Land Cruiser body painted flat tan with roof rack, spare, etc.
An RC4wd 70t silver can motor (anyone tried those yet?)
Softer shock springs and 25wt oil (a mod I saw on this site)
Bearings (installed during the build)
f-350 High Lift tires and wheels (not crawler grade, but much softer than the kit tires)
Rear links in the future (a compilation of many solutions I see on this site)
A trailer of course, for the boat!
xraycajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2009, 02:57 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraycajun View Post
This project started when I completed my first wooden boat model. I wanted a scale truck to pull the boat, and ended up discovering crawling trucks! I did a ton of research and found the cc-01 would do a little of everything... bash, crawl, pull, look good on display... etc. I don't want to modify the chassis too extensively, so I read many, many of your threads and came up with a few things I would like to incorporate into this project...

A sweet CR-01 Bronco body for display
The Land Cruiser body painted flat tan with roof rack, spare, etc.
An RC4wd 70t silver can motor (anyone tried those yet?)
Softer shock springs and 25wt oil (a mod I saw on this site)
Bearings (installed during the build)
f-350 High Lift tires and wheels (not crawler grade, but much softer than the kit tires)
Rear links in the future (a compilation of many solutions I see on this site)
A trailer of course, for the boat!
The Bronco body is Lexan, so prepare to be dissapointed by the lack of detail in it.

Land cruiser body? What? You said Bronco! Thats a Ford :P

A 55t and a crawler speedy like the Novak Rooster is a great combo for the CC-01 and cheap!

Bearings = YES

Shocks... Well thats personal preferance, I went for MRC shocks. Same goes for Wheels and Tyres, As pantablo will tell you, anything over 95mm diameter will bee too big and look stupid on a CC-01 chassis and I completely agree with him. SDI trail/grip docs look great on it.

Definately replace the rear suspension links. The stock ones are plain poop but hey.. You're building a boat hauler, you aint taking that into the mountains mate
Junkz0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:03 AM   #3

Surely not going to the mountains!, nothing but mud here in South Louisiana! You asked about the Bronco Body... That will be the "Shelf Queen and boat pulling body (the body color will match the boat). The Kits' Land Cruiser body will be for bashing, mudding, light crawling...

Only, it's hard to find any kind of sand or tan colored paint for lexan...
Old 12-21-2009, 12:19 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by xraycajun View Post
Only, it's hard to find any kind of sand or tan colored paint for lexan...
You can use Krylon paint for the clear bodys, now do you want to paint the inside or outside? I did the outside (Easier) if so (On the outside) then mist two coats of krylon primer over the body (Tape off everything you want clean or other color first) then once thats dry, do one finale coat of primer. then paint and clear. Works great and seems to bend with the plastic (I did this to my Toyota body) plus Krylon has sand colors! now if you want to paint the inside,, forget the primer and just mist a coat or two of the body color on the inside and then do one finale coat or two till covered nicely. and that'll work out just fine aswell

I have some pics in a thread in the 1.9 scale area called "CC-01 Mods/ideas" I show the painting process, so I'll will get you a link ASAP.

-Tom

Can't want to see what you do
The Loyale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 06:15 PM   #5

Thanks! I will check out your thread... It sounds like exactly what I want to do. I'll experiment on some scrap first, but I generally think I'll paint the outside with sand-colored Krylon with flat white for the roof, grill, and mirrors.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:30 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Here you go:

Tamiya CC-01: (Ideas and upgrades?)

Hope this gives you some ideas

-Tom
Old 12-22-2009, 08:22 PM   #7

Great job ob the paint! I think your paint looks alot more realistic than the typical "paint from the inside" look. I like the white grill, too! I was reading through your thread and saw what you were asking about receiver batteries and BEC. I plan on leaving the receiver pack in the truck as opposed to BEC. I see lots of people adding weight to the front of these rigs for balance and traction. I figured, why not put the receiver pack between the front wheel wells? extra weight up front that doubles as servo power....
Old 12-22-2009, 08:50 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Thank you for the comments I still have some detail painting to do (Kinda afride) plus I need to make something to hold the body on lol.

For now, I'm just running it with the 3600mAh 7.2 pack. I Might get a BEC sometime. Gonna get a 4:1 Gear Reduction first.

-Tom
Old 12-23-2009, 05:50 AM   #9

Let me know what you decide to do for holding on the body.... I'm looking for ideas there, too...
Old 12-23-2009, 01:39 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkz0r View Post
The Bronco body is Lexan, so prepare to be dissapointed by the lack of detail in it.
ORLY?

Its very well detailed for being lexan
860Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 01:42 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Ok, I do have an idea but have been to lazy to do it lol. I'll tell you what I'm planing.

For the front where the bumper used to mount, I am going to take a peice of Aluminum or Steel and bend it into an "L" so the longer side is sticking out (Incase you want to mount a winch) then the shorter side would be pointing up and then apply some velcro to that and then press the front of the body onto that. Then for the rear, the CC-01 kit comes with two diffrent body mounts stock, one is the type that sticks up thru the roof and the other is for the Jeep body. Its two mounts that stick straight out the back so you can use clips. Well I cut off those pins for the clips to the mounts are flat, then I am gonna cut another peice of aluminum and screw that to both mounts - then apply velcro to the aluminum and press the body onto it. Just need to go to radioshack and get some high-strangth velcro and see how it works. I'll take some pics if I ever get my lazy ass going lol..

-Tom
Old 12-23-2009, 03:14 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Loyale View Post
Ok, I do have an idea but have been to lazy to do it lol. I'll tell you what I'm planing.

For the front where the bumper used to mount, I am going to take a peice of Aluminum or Steel and bend it into an "L" so the longer side is sticking out (Incase you want to mount a winch) then the shorter side would be pointing up and then apply some velcro to that and then press the front of the body onto that. Then for the rear, the CC-01 kit comes with two diffrent body mounts stock, one is the type that sticks up thru the roof and the other is for the Jeep body. Its two mounts that stick straight out the back so you can use clips. Well I cut off those pins for the clips to the mounts are flat, then I am gonna cut another peice of aluminum and screw that to both mounts - then apply velcro to the aluminum and press the body onto it. Just need to go to radioshack and get some high-strangth velcro and see how it works. I'll take some pics if I ever get my lazy ass going lol..

-Tom

Sounds like a good plan, you may want to try Home Depot or Walmart for your velcro though.
fixed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 06:46 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed13 View Post
Sounds like a good plan, you may want to try Home Depot or Walmart for your velcro though.

I'll look around and post what and where I find it

-Tom
Old 03-09-2010, 07:00 PM   #14

Default Projects pic...

Check out the progress of my Landcruiser here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...mentid=3101794