Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Isuzu Mu (Amigo) Re-do or “Rebirth of a Basher”

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2010, 10:03 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Isuzu Mu (Amigo) Re-do or “Rebirth of a Basher”

This was my first scale truck (not counting my Blackfoot). I bought it in Hong Kong 14 years ago. Tamiya was (and I guess still is) soooo much cheaper over there. It’s followed me to all of my residences since, but mostly collected a lot of dusty garage time while I was away from the hobby. Well, after discovering this wonderful website and getting back into the hobby, I decided to refurb the old gal.

I stripped the paint using adhesive remover – BAD idea. This pretty much is the same stuff as that gloppy paint remover and it attacked the body. I thought it was a loss, but spending some time w/an Xacto knife, sand paper, and brillo pads, I was able to salvage it. I should have used some body filler in some spots, but I got lazy.

On with the primer…

Paint’s done…

My “accessories”. Yeah, kinda more 12th / 14th scale than 10th scale, but they were cheap!

Which wheels do I use? At first, I was sure I was going to go w/the black ones, but w/the black body and black tires, there was not much definition there, so I decided to go with the yellow wheels, even thought the shade is wrong.

All done!

“Under the hood”, there is nothing at all special besides bearings and a high torque steering servo. Other than that, an ancient Futaba ESC, a 27 turn motor, and a Futaba AM radio. The front tires rub the body under hard breaking and cornering, so I’ll probably have to add a little ride height. I’ll also probably add a cheap LED kit.

On to the next project – my SCX-10 Defender 90 build.
shambrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-2010, 10:28 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Looks really good! Those amigo's are really rare. Scale license plate looks sweet.
landrover4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 10:54 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

I like it, looks good. I think you should paint the black wheels the same yellow and use them. The ones you have on now are to far off in color IMO.
fixed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:55 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

looks good. but not feeling the green wheels
tpliquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:40 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed13 View Post
I like it, looks good. I think you should paint the black wheels the same yellow and use them. The ones you have on now are to far off in color IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpliquid View Post
looks good. but not feeling the green wheels
I'm not feeling the green/yellow wheels either. I had the same thoughts when I wanted to run black wheels. What I did instead was shot them with gunmetal. That made them different enough from the body and tires so you could read them but still monochromatic.

Black

gunmetal
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 08:18 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the comments all.

I'll prob take your tips on the wheels and either paint the black ones the same as the body yellow, or try that gunmetal trick.

Take care.
shambrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:26 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

There is a guy on this section who sells lifters that will raise your ride height. Welcome back to the hobby.
Grumpster1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 10:18 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

the gunmetal looks good. it will match up nicely with the yellow/black
tpliquid is offline   Reply With Quote