Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Can anyone comment on how this rig was done?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2010, 10:37 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Can anyone comment on how this rig was done?

Found on Youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPfPb...os=YeTRg4WroIw

Its probably one of the most amazing CC01 mods I've ever seen, and the most capable. I was wondering if anyone could comment on how the custom shock mounts were done.

Is it possible to lift the suspension that much without carving up the body? Is it advisable or would it make the thing prone to breakage?

Do you suppose this guy machined all of those custom aluminum bits? Do there exist things I could buy that work as well?

thanks for tolerating the n00b questions!
spacephrawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2010, 11:19 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

gpm has released rear shock mounts in aluminum so you can get those at GPM.

I will be receiving new front upper shock mounts next from my machine shop. They are adjustable 2 positions stock and lifited. imma test them out when I get them in.
tpliquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:36 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I don't know how or who did these mods, but its certainly not more capable than any of the other cc-01's on this forum. Most of the mods he fabricated are the same concept as what you can buy though GPM. GPM sells the alloy adjustable rear shock mount and the alloy adjustable suspension links which look to be the same mods in the vid. Hope this helps. Here's some links:
http://gpmracing.com.hk/catalog/prod...290442839ce838

http://gpmracing.com.hk/catalog/prod...290442839ce838

http://gpmracing.com.hk/catalog/main...th=1_84_89_216
landrover4wd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:45 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

But if I want the front lift I have to make it custom?

What if I want a long wb? Custom links again?
Old 04-02-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacephrawg View Post
But if I want the front lift I have to make it custom?

What if I want a long wb? Custom links again?
for the front you have to trim pieces to get more travel. I believe u can work out 4mm ish more travel by trimming the arms and the c hub.

If you want long wheel base you can relocate the original links further back. There are 2 positions on the chassis you can use. But you will need to get new longer driveshaft if you want to extend. unless its already got the longer drive shaft
tpliquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 04:26 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpliquid View Post
for the front you have to trim pieces to get more travel. I believe u can work out 4mm ish more travel by trimming the arms and the c hub.

If you want long wheel base you can relocate the original links further back. There are 2 positions on the chassis you can use. But you will need to get new longer driveshaft if you want to extend. unless its already got the longer drive shaft
Thanks for that.

Is it just me or did the guy in the video get even more travel out of his front suspension? ::shrug:: maybe it is just me.

Do they make long drive shafts that are metal? Where might I get one?
Old 04-02-2010, 08:06 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I believe you just get the driveshaft from the cco1 tourareg (probably spelt that wrong)

might have to pick up some of your front mounts tpliquid when there ready, think I seen your servo mounts on ebay
Positronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:32 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

If you look right at the begining of the vid he states that he made everything at home. The mods he did are common and can be seen here on RCC. As stated before, GPM is makeing alot of this stuff now so check with them if you are not feeling like making your own stuff. As for the front suspension lift, it has been done before and it works well but you will have to make it yourself. The lift is gained with the longer shocks and the mods to the C hub and such. The upper mount will need to be custom 'cause you need to cut through the fender well for the shocks. Hope this helps.
fixed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 11:26 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed13 View Post
If you look right at the begining of the vid he states that he made everything at home. The mods he did are common and can be seen here on RCC. As stated before, GPM is makeing alot of this stuff now so check with them if you are not feeling like making your own stuff. As for the front suspension lift, it has been done before and it works well but you will have to make it yourself. The lift is gained with the longer shocks and the mods to the C hub and such. The upper mount will need to be custom 'cause you need to cut through the fender well for the shocks. Hope this helps.

Yup, thanks. I will have more questions in the next few days because right now it is 1:30 or so where I am and I'm an idiot for staying up so late. Thanks again everyone!