Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Unimog CC-01 in the box build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2010, 12:21 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

"I think the gear meshing is a bit noisy. I'll have to double check fittings. "

Don't worry about the "Gear Noise", after a couple runs it quiet's done. Change the grease after the third or fourth run, and it will be silent.
Louisbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2010, 10:30 AM   #22
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpster1980 View Post
Evandiego! you have inspired me to reunite my CC-01 with my Unimog Body I ended up using some body posts for the rear and some neodymium magnets for the front. The body is rock solid now and I like the way it is sitting on the chassis. Thanks for the inspiration and I can't wait to see yours all painted.
Hey!! Great to see the 'Mog body back on! Before I was even considering buying a CC-01 'Mog kit I was looking around the forum and I saw yours. When I saw your rig I had then decided that I had to buy the CC-01 kit because it looked so awesome! Now I'm here having tons of fun with this thing building it and sharing it with you guys.
You were the one Grumpster who inspired ME to do this project

Back to business...
No I've decided not to use the posts for scale purposes. Some guys here at the machine shop had some scrap U-PVC sheets/blocks so they cut me a couple of rectangular pieces. I'll post pics up soon about this.

Great idea on the GPM steering upgrade...the stock steering has too much play! I will be purchasing the rear link system as well. I've done the simple DIY mods like removing extra material on the hub carriers for extra suspension travel, locking the front diffs by jamming the 3rd spider gear where its not supposed to be, etc.

I'd like to get some new shocks as well. I was looking at the Gmade 80mm or 90mm G-Transition shocks. What do you think?
Evandiego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:32 AM   #23
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louisbaby View Post
"I think the gear meshing is a bit noisy. I'll have to double check fittings. "

Don't worry about the "Gear Noise", after a couple runs it quiet's done. Change the grease after the third or fourth run, and it will be silent.
Oh good thanks! I guess things have to 'seat' after some runs. I'll change the grease up too after a few battery packs.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:09 PM   #24
Rock Crawler

I think the rears are 70mm and GPM sells replacemnts that are aluminum and threaded I would leave the fronts as is. I only used posts in the rear and they are hidden by the rear canvas cover. I am looking forward to see how you mounted yours. Sweet looking build! any progress on the paint?
Grumpster1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 10:59 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpster1980 View Post
I think the rears are 70mm and GPM sells replacemnts that are aluminum and threaded I would leave the fronts as is. I only used posts in the rear and they are hidden by the rear canvas cover. I am looking forward to see how you mounted yours. Sweet looking build! any progress on the paint?
Okay so if the rears are 70mm then 80mm Gmade shocks should be fine especially if I get the GPM rear link setup.
I have painted the bumpers and wheel wells black so far. It has been very humid here and would have made painting a bit difficult using an airbrush (I'm an airbrush newbie). I'm using Createx paint.
Thanks for the support!
Old 08-17-2010, 11:02 PM   #26
Pebble Pounder

Default GPM Steering

So I bought this set to help with my steering slop...and man it is sloppy! I've heard good things from GPM upgrades for the CC01. I got in beautiful black!

Old 08-17-2010, 11:05 PM   #27
Pebble Pounder

Default Body mounts

So the machine shop guys at CancerCare had some scrap blocks/sheets of U-PVC that is pretty hard....but easy to drill through. They were able to cut some rectangular pieces. These sheets of U-PVC could be used as side plates for a chassis...it's that durable. They use this stuff for making all kinds of stuff for immobalizing patients during radiation treatment.
Any ways here are the front and rear pieces. They aren't drilled all the way through. I left about 1/8" at the end. Will be attaching foam to the lexan body with velcro on one end and the other half going to the body mount blocks.
I still have to adjust the height by cutting the posts down. I hope it works. Wish me luck!

Old 08-17-2010, 11:47 PM   #28
JLF
Quarry Creeper

Thats a great body mounting idea! Im going to try it myself.

My Pajero didnt come with that lower plastic part that attaches to the chasis like a strut bar. Any idea which parts back that may be in so I can pick one up for my build?

Thanks!
JLF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 05:06 AM   #29
Quarry Creeper

Those mounts also come in the land cruiser box as well and I would assume any other lexan bodied cc01 version.
rustykaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 07:40 AM   #30
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLF View Post
Thats a great body mounting idea! Im going to try it myself.

My Pajero didnt come with that lower plastic part that attaches to the chasis like a strut bar. Any idea which parts back that may be in so I can pick one up for my build?

Thanks!
Yeah give it a try! I drilled the holes just a bit smaller than the diameter of the posts so it fits snug and doesn't come off easily unless you twist and pull at the same time.

The part number for the plastic parts set that includes the braces is:
"M" Parts x2 19115264 (you'll need 3 x 12mm self tapping screws to attach to body)
For the posts it is:
"D" Parts x1 19005741 (you'll need 3 x 10mm self tapping screws to attach to the body mount brace)

Old 08-18-2010, 10:29 AM   #31
JLF
Quarry Creeper

Excellent info! Thank you!

Old 08-18-2010, 02:46 PM   #32
Rock Stacker

Great Job!
Scale Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 10:39 AM   #33
Pebble Pounder

Default Elite Forces

I have some ideas...I think I'm going to make a very basic cock pit area for a driver and dash board. I have some ideas using more U-PVC, paper and printer, steering wheel, foam, and a willing 1:18 scale figure...oh and a gunner in the back.

Driver

Gunner
Old 08-21-2010, 10:42 AM   #34
Pebble Pounder

Default Cobalt60 Sand paint!

So guys after a couple of Corona and limes I finished painting the Mog with my custom paint blend Cobalt60 Sand (patent pending ). Since Createx paint is water soluble I backed it with Tamiya's gunmetal lexan paint and then flat clear. All I have to do is get the decals on and then paint the outside with flat clear to get that true military look. I'm recycling the window masks from painting inside to the outside of body to retain the glassy window look after applying the flat clear.

With the left over paint I sparsly painted the netting. I still have to install the metal eyelets in the net and hooks onto the body.
I think it looks dope!

Last edited by Evandiego; 08-21-2010 at 10:47 AM.
Old 08-21-2010, 02:52 PM   #35
JLF
Quarry Creeper

I just saw one today that color out at MOG FEST! Looks great!
Old 08-21-2010, 10:08 PM   #36
Rock Crawler

Looking good dude~
Grumpster1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 03:16 PM   #37
Pebble Pounder

Hey Guys

So I've mounted the lights, short snorkel, cage, netting, etc.
I'm not to particularily happy with the durability of the Createx paint. It scratches easily and so now I'm going to have to touch it up. Decals are on and I hate putting on decals. It's not completely done yet but I've done a mock up on the body mount but because the hood is sloped it makes it a little tricky. I'll be using a combo of high density foam and more U-PVC.
I'm not going to lie the body is heavy. I'll just have to offset the top heaviness with lead weights in the rims and chassis.

Old 08-23-2010, 09:09 PM   #38
Rock Crawler

Very nice so far, very scale looking. I'll keep an eye on this unimog, just want to see it finished
norbyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:17 PM   #39
Pebble Pounder

Default Body is on!

Body mounted on the Chassis. Still gotta do some terrain testing and munitions testing.

First a real 'Mog 406:

My 'Mog

Old 08-25-2010, 02:24 PM   #40
Pebble Pounder

Default Some notes...

I couldn't wait to install the body that I forgot to add the mirrors! Lol! I'm gonna get some black wheel nuts as right now they don't look very scale.

Would the Axial wheel nut covers work? I've seen the RC4wd ones but they are $20 online plus shipping and the Axial only $7 at LHS. What do you guys use?

Other things I'm waiting for is the GPM rear link upgrade and GPM rear shock mount brackets...all in gunmetal since they ran out of black. It'll still look sick.

I'll take more up close and personal pics of the detail on the body. Will post soon.

Thanks for looking everyone!