Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: grinding problems?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default grinding problems?

well today i did a small lift on my cc-01 fj i used 1/4 spacers gave it a lil more clearans i also put a set of 1.9 beadlock wheels on it with proline flat irons...so when i gave it full throttle it seamed like the gears where grinding at times so i put the factory set on it and ran fine no grindin nose so u guys think it was the heavier wheels an tires
nissan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2010, 08:24 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Talking

Welcome to my world... I had a scale comp today and my Brat experienced the grind of death. It could be any number of things. Generally the gears are hopping and not making good contact due to a loose gear case. Possible fixes. Some or all may be necessary. Start with the free easy stuff first. Often times if you pull the rear driveshaft the grinding will stop as its easier on the drivetrain. When you get in a bind its easy to grind the gears if your holes are stripped out.

1. Chassis holes are stripped out. Drill out all 4 holes that hold the top gear cover down and put a nut on the underside and torque em down. But dont crack the chassis or cover. You will have to drop the lower suspension EVERY time you want to get in the gearbox, but it helps with the problem.
2. Spur gear is hopping. Put a dab of hot glue, or a shim of some sort on TOP of the end of the shaft on the rearward side of the spur gear. Then put on the gear case cover.
3. Transfer case gear is hopping. Could either be the shaft in it is worn out at the end with the flat ground part, or the holes in it are stripped out. UNSURE IF YOU CAN DRILL THESE THROUGH. I will have a spare parts chassis soon to do this experiment on. You run into a potential clearance issue with the motor.
4. Your gears could just be old, if so replace them
5. Your motor mount could be cracked (mine is, its 16 years old)

XC/CC's are great, but you gotta really keep on top of their drivetrain
Flowmastered87GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

well heres the funny thing the i worked on it the back axle seemed to be good looked at the gears up front they looked ok i lost a spacer that goes on the end of the big gear that holds it there so i put it back together that way an now it dont make any noise i took it out on some rocks it did alright tho its wierd maybe it needed some slack in the gearing im running a 27t an xl5esc
nissan7 is offline   Reply With Quote