Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: CCo1 Build.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2010, 01:30 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default CCo1 Build added video!!!!!!

This will be my first Tamiya cco1 build thread. I will be putting a (hopefully) Tonka pressed steel truck body, or ....... we'll just have to see, on this chassis. Please feel free to help me along the way! Share any and all comments and suggestions.

I just started this build earlier today and hope this one doesn't drag on like the last one did.

First step was to check all of the gears and see what was wrong with them. When I got the truck the gears was slipping. I started by pulling the gear casings off and manually stress testing all the gears to see what one was slipping and none of them was. I eventually gave up and decided I would just put the case back on and see if I couldn't figure out what it could be by coming to RCC site. This is when I realized that 3 of the screw holes was stripped allowing the main gear to flex just enough to let the it slip on the others. Why I was in here, I did clean and re grease the gears.

This is all I have for you guys tonight I have to charge some battery's then I can have you some more pictures tomorrow.

Yes there is two different tire and wheel combinations on this truck when the pic was taken. 1 was a set of stock Losi MRC tires and wheels and the other side has RC4WD tires on HPI Stockers. I need to find the ideal combo so I started here. But more on that later.

Last edited by bent; 10-18-2010 at 01:06 PM.
bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2010, 09:26 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Got alot done today. I mounted all the electronics, the ESC and receiver is in the modded radio shack project box. I also made a rear battery hold down, all I have to do is loosen the screws and slide it out. I locked the diff and decided that I would go with some stock Tamiya hummer tires for now. On to the pics.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Hmm... Something about this looks familiar... Looking good so far there bud, keep it up!

I'll be watching ;)
Oddman102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:15 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I would go with the MRCs for now..they are softer. Hummers look more scale, but MRCs would grip better.

got a pic of that metal body your teasing us with??!?!?!??
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:29 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

squatch71 Nope just gonna have to be teased for now. The mrc wheels are alot softer but they are my lil brothers that goes with the mrc I'm selling for him so I cant use them ill just have to get me some.

Oddman102 It ought to man Thanks again for this one.

Last edited by bent; 10-07-2010 at 12:38 AM.
Old 10-07-2010, 07:33 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Well, if you ever go to sell... I call first dibs xD
Oddman102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:30 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

You got it bud!
Old 10-07-2010, 01:59 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Hey Bent...If your looking at getting tires, RC4WD has very scale and very soft grippy tires...I have mud thrashers and they are awesome!!

and I'll wait for the body..........................
Old 10-07-2010, 03:14 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Yeah I have a set of mud thrashers too man, they just too damned tall, so i put them on my h1. The main reason Im looking at getting a set of 1/16th is because of the body.

Hey if I have to wait t get the body on so do you

Does any one know how to lock the gear that is next to the front diff gear???? I do not have 4wd when backing up.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:00 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Thats funny...I got a set of flat irons, and they are to tall...so I went with mud thrashers...

your gears...something is wrong, you should have 4wd in reverse..make sure your gear cover is on tight. Take off your gear cover and SLOWLY reverse and see what is happening.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:38 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Well the body........... umm .............. trying to get..............umm....................anyhow its only 6 tall so the tires from rc4wd are like monster tires.

As far as the gears are concerned I know what the issue is I just dunno how to fix it lol. Here is the problem gears........
Ok now the gear that is circled in red is turned by the upright one or the one the arrows pointing to. Now the circled one slides into the other. is what the deal is is when the gear spins one way all 4 wheels spin turn it the other way and only the rear spin. The cover is good and tight I have spent the last two days fitting screws to make sure the cover was tight. I cannot figure it out, the inside of the one the arrow is pointing to has bearings and a metal ring on the outer edge of the hole where the circled gear slides into. Now the gear that is circled has a square rod?! that slides into the other gear. so I have no clue. It seems that you just slide the one gear into the other and you are fine but, it only locks in one direction.

On another note, Any ideas as to how good this light set is?

Old 10-07-2010, 10:47 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Small little bitty up date.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:35 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Today has been full of bad news. First I lost the e-bay auction that had the metal body. . 2nd bit of bad is that there is no other's on there that will fit so no pressed steel body for this rig. Another bit of bad news the supposed brand new servo that I had in there burned out today after only 3 runs. So it looks like I will be looking for a ABS body and getting a light kit. Maybe some different wheels dunno yet. An to top it off the new mail box got bashed. Damn kids!
Old 10-08-2010, 10:54 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

yep damm kids for bashing mail boxes!!!!
dam was waiting to see that "metal body"...least what was it??
skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:48 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Bummer Bent....was looking forward in seeing that body...

Ummm, I see two batteries...one 9.6V (looks like a radio shack battery) the other is a 7.2V...what gives??? you running both batteries??
Old 10-09-2010, 04:39 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Here is the metal body i had planned on using it is a NYLINT body. Pressed steel, full interior, glass all the good stuff. This particular one was 15x7x6 and had a wb of 9.6ish inches which would have been perfect for the CC01. I had plan n getting the body, repaint it, get some border patrol decals (just to piss the neighbors off), cut the grill out and add mesh, and redo the interior with fabric so its a lil more realistic and, get the light kit and some 1/16th scale Losi dt wheels an possibly tires.

The fire hose set up on the bed was fully removable so you could have just a regular truck. Tail gate opened and closed as well. Yes there is others on there but they are 14x6x5.5 with a wb of 8

Here is the truck. yes it was on e-bay and yepp the sh*t out did me on the bidding.

Nope you ain't seen sh*t. I have two battery's on the rig. Both are radio shack one is a 3300, the red one, and one is a 600. The reason I will be running both battery's is because I plan on having no less than 8 lights plus a surprise! I didnt want to use just the 33oo and cut into my run time so i will run the lights, ********, servo and all off the 600battery. This way I will have a good 30+ mins run time with all the lights and such going.

Last edited by bent; 10-09-2010 at 04:44 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 07:16 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

ah that body would've been something different .
skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:01 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Main reason I wanted to get then mod it! Make it like me the odd one! lmao
Old 10-11-2010, 06:56 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Guys sorry this build has hit a road block, I have new parts on order and hopefully saturday I will have you guys some progress pics THIS BUILD AIN'T DEAD YET !!!!!
Old 10-12-2010, 04:48 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Talking

That gear that you have circled in red... you said its only working one way, but not the other. Its possible that you have the rare torque splitter unit in there.

Stock the CC/XC should (in that gear position) have a white plastic gear, with a bearing pressed into each end and a round metal shaft going through it. The gear is a single piece.

Your grinding could also be from the spur gear hopping. If it grinds, try pulling the driveshaft... if you can do crazy FWD burnouts you know its pretty much rear drive related. Usually its where the back of the big multipurpose spur gear meets the transfer case gear that goes to the rear prop shaft. Drilling out the stripped holes and putting nuts on the other side of the chassis helps. Sometimes you also need to put a shim or a dab of hot glue on the TOP of the end of the shaft before putting the gear case on. This helps push down a bit on the spur so it touches the transfer case gear and pinion better.
Flowmastered87GL is offline   Reply With Quote