Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Lr3 cc-01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2011, 06:56 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Lr3 cc-01

Thought I would post my CC-01 build. I've seen a few around here that have the same body. I really like this paint job and had to have. I actually had the body before I ever had a chassis to put under it. Kind of backwards but oh well. So I ordered the CC-01 for the body. lol

I still have a lot of plans for the chassis. Here are some of the upgrades I plan on throwing at it soon:
GPM Steering kit
Junfac Rear 4 link kit with Chassis skid plate
GPM Front alunimum lower arms and C's with universal's
I extended the wheel base to 10.5" so I ordered a Touareg propeller shaft as the stock one was to short.
I have the shocks set up with internal springs but at his moment do not like them. The rear seems really tight. Once I get the 4 link kit I will look at the shocks again.
I also made a battery plate for the rear so I could use Lipo's. I just used a stock Axial battery plate I had left over. Works really well.
I have some new Prowler tires on the way from bayareaaxial. Should look good under the wheel wells. ;)
I still have some work to do, but here it is any ways...

Mounted one of my SCX-10 wheels on the front to see what it would look like. I little bit large. LOL
SFC K is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

I wish I could use Flat Irons on mine too, but they are BIG! Looking good.
schiesz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:32 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by schiesz View Post
I wish I could use Flat Irons on mine too, but they are BIG! Looking good.
I wish I could use them too. Just to big. I have Prowlers on the way so should look pretty good on here.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:49 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

So, I got my new tires today in the mail. Thanks Bayareaaxial!
Put one on the stock wheel and one on some TC rims I had lying around. They are actually clear rims with inserts you can change out. Not sure if I like them or not. They do add some more detail to the rig with the brake rotor details.
I thought the RC4WD Prowler tires were going to be a tad bit taller but they actually look just right.
So which rims should I go with? I am going to dye the stock white wheels black. I like the chrome wheels too. I will try and find some more inserts to try out…

Old 02-11-2011, 11:27 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I'm a big fan of the stock looking split 6 spokes...
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:17 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Hello! Those look nice too! Thanks for posting that up!
Old 02-19-2011, 04:15 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I picked up a set of the Tamiya F350 shocks and did not realize they are to long for the front. What shocks should I look for? The stock ones are not to my liking...
Old 02-19-2011, 04:33 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Try any 70mm shocks like the GPM (roadtech) ones.
rustykaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:20 PM   #9

Nice car I think you should go for the chrome wheels
OllllO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:29 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustykaos View Post
Try any 70mm shocks like the GPM (roadtech) ones.
Thanks! I will look into those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllllO View Post
Nice car I think you should go for the chrome wheels
Yeah, I'm still unsure what ones to go with. I like the chrome ones too.

I have the GPM steering kit on order and the Junfac rear 4 link/skid plate on order. been waiting over three weeks now. I thought they would have been here by now. Overseas shipping is slow.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I installed my GPM steering kit. This was a pain without instructions. Had to use some spacers to find out that the brass cone washers were supposed to be on the inside not outside. I removed the spacers I installed so the link would not hit. I also had to trim away some plastic ribs from the skid plate to get the steering to stop hitting on it. Did anyone else go through this with the GPM steering kit?

I also received my Junfac 4 link kit with skid plate and put it together for the most part. I am still looking into ways to mount the shocks; longer wheel base (10 ½”) does not line up so well and restricts the shock movement a bit. I wish they would have sold the aluminum axle mounts separate; I would have just made my own links. The links that come with the kit are thicker than my AX-10 or SCX-10 links.

Hardware is great with the kit. I just wish the ball ends were a tad bit smaller. I had to swap out the lower ball ends on the shocks to mount them. Also, if you look in the pictures on Junfacs site the lower cap crew that goes through the bottom of the aluminum shock mount is a button head screw, not a cap screw. I’m going to replace this as soon as I can. This will hang up on everything.

I also mounted the skid plate, but with the longer wheel base I need to install a few more spacers to make up for the loss of the ball ends. I will leave it on for now but it will work with the longer W/B. You just need to find some spacers to fill the gap. It does look like you will lose a ton of clearance though with it on.

Old 03-11-2011, 06:48 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I figured out a different solution on how to mount the shocks now. I'm going to hit up the ACE hardware store in the morning for some plastic or brass bushings that will fit the F350 upper and lower holes on the shocks I had laying around.

The stock shocks suck, and don't move at all. They will be replaced soon...

Old 03-13-2011, 06:56 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Work on it a bit more today.
Dyed the wheels all black with Rit on the stove today. I think they turned out nicely considering the time it took. I need to figure out the best way to paint an orange color ring around the rim to add a little color to them.

I also found some RC10 front shocks that looked like a good swap. They did increase the height so I had to drop the body down bit. I also noticed that with the longer shocks in the rear, the propeller shaft was hitting the skid plate. Quick cut with a hack saw and all is good.
before:

After:

And the new shocks...
Old 03-13-2011, 08:02 PM   #14
RCC Addict

thanks got some ideas from this
m1009cucv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 09:39 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

another thought on the suspension... looks good, but since it appears you are not using the little bridges that go between the short and long wheelbase holes on the tub, why not just take em off and bolt the front ends of the links straight to the tub?? Pick up like 1/8" of clearance there...
Flowmastered87GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 08:47 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowmastered87GL View Post
another thought on the suspension... looks good, but since it appears you are not using the little bridges that go between the short and long wheelbase holes on the tub, why not just take em off and bolt the front ends of the links straight to the tub?? Pick up like 1/8" of clearance there...
I thought about taking them off, but felt I would lose some strength in the tub. I will remove them and see what happens. Thanks for the concern.

I am also making a brace for the rear shocks that will span across the back of the chassis. I am noticing some flex where I mounted the upper shock mounts.

All that is left now is installing the electronics which should be coming in the mail today…
Old 04-14-2011, 04:07 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

So I have been collecting some tires/rims lately. I picked up some:
4 ea, S.D.I. Trail Doctor LX, 1.9 tires
4 ea, S.D.I. Trail Doctor; smaller size than the XL’s, 1.9
4 ea, Tamiya Rock Cruiser M/T’s, 1.9 with Tundra rims
And then I still have the RCD4WD Prowler XS 1.9 tires.

I’m still trying to figure out what is the best fit for this rig. The XL’s are going to go on my Honcho to replace the Flat Irons.

What do you guys think of the different rim/tire combos? I took some side by side photos for reference in size difference.

Old 04-14-2011, 05:40 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

SDI trail doctor.
Scale Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:44 PM   #19

I'm liking the prowlers with the dyed stock wheels.
2forty3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 10:07 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

looks pretty awesome! where did u get the rear shock mount tabs?
JS412 is offline   Reply With Quote

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-xc-cc01/298210-lr3-cc-01-a.html
Posted By For Type Date
Access Denied This thread Refback 10-07-2011 02:13 AM
Access Denied This thread Refback 10-07-2011 02:12 AM
Access Denied This thread Refback 10-07-2011 02:12 AM