Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: High Clearance CC-01 Power to the portal!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2011, 08:39 PM   #41
Oppan Gangnam Style

I think you need to log onto RCC to see them.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2011, 08:56 PM   #42
I wanna be Dave

no pics...bummer

edit...I am logged in and still no pics..and still a bummer

Last edited by squatch71; 03-19-2011 at 09:01 PM.
squatch71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:02 PM   #43
RCC Addict

I still got pics,just need a video now,please,
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:43 AM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Wow, this is one bad ass CC01! Nice mods!
justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 04:39 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
I do have a mod that will maintain a 1:1 ratio as well as increase the strength slightly, that way you can use the stock rear axle.
Can you share this mod as I will be widening the rear axle and want to run the portals on the front.

Cheers Jarrod
rustykaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:01 PM   #46
Oppan Gangnam Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinart24 View Post
Wow, this is one bad ass CC01! Nice mods!
Thanks man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustykaos View Post
Can you share this mod as I will be widening the rear axle and want to run the portals on the front.

Cheers Jarrod
It won't work if you just do the portals on the front. The front will be reverse rotation and the rear will be standard rotation.
Old 03-27-2011, 03:38 AM   #47
Quarry Creeper

What if I flip the rear axle over tho?
Old 03-27-2011, 12:04 PM   #48
Oppan Gangnam Style

Quote:
What if I flip the rear axle over tho?
Then you are good to go.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:48 PM   #49
Quarry Creeper

So any hints on the 1:1 ratio.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:35 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Amazing work! I’d like to know how you made the front bumper and skid plate on the bottom. They look so good they could have been made by Tamiya.
SFC K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:20 PM   #51
Oppan Gangnam Style

Quote:
So any hints on the 1:1 ratio.
I used Axial transmission gears (20t, 48p, 5mm I.D.). They need to be narrowed to fit in the portal box and the top gear needs a sleeve to work on a 4mm shaft. The bottom gear needs the pin slot opened up a bit for the 2mm drive pin and I think that's about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC K View Post
Amazing work! I’d like to know how you made the front bumper and skid plate on the bottom. They look so good they could have been made by Tamiya.
Thanks, they look better in the pics than in person.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:53 AM   #52
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I used Axial transmission gears (20t, 48p, 5mm I.D.). They need to be narrowed to fit in the portal box and the top gear needs a sleeve to work on a 4mm shaft. The bottom gear needs the pin slot opened up a bit for the 2mm drive pin and I think that's about it.

Thanks, they look better in the pics than in person.
Sweet thanks for that. I take it this will also work for the CR01 front knuckles. Any chance of a pic of the rear of the gears to show what you modified there?
Old 03-30-2011, 08:26 AM   #53
I wanna be Dave

It's unbelievable how good this thing crawls. Whoever is competing in Montana, you might want to mentally prepare yourself to get smoked by a CC-01! Awesome build Chino, makes me want one.
travis c. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:48 PM   #54
Moderator Rule Breaker

Dean, this has to be the coolest cc-01! You know my fetish for portals. Your now making me want to build one. I love the skid and rear link mounts.

Last edited by eric113; 03-31-2011 at 07:12 PM.
eric113 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 08:18 PM   #55
Rock Stacker

Brilliant !! Those axial gears should beef up those portals enough to actually get some good use out of them.
Nissan231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:13 PM   #56
Oppan Gangnam Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC K View Post
Thank you! Just started with some 22g steel and a piece of 3/16 tube. Alot of time staring at the front end trying to maximize aproach angle and minimize points that could get hung up. Started bending and brazing and walla!

Quote:
Sweet thanks for that. I take it this will also work for the CR01 front knuckles. Any chance of a pic of the rear of the gears to show what you modified there?
Yes, they just clear in the CR-01 portals. Sorry, no pic of the rear of the gear. All you need to do is use a carbide on a dremel and widen the pin slot a bit to 2 millimeters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travis c. View Post
It's unbelievable how good this thing crawls. Whoever is competing in Montana, you might want to mentally prepare yourself to get smoked by a CC-01! Awesome build Chino, makes me want one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
Dean, this has to be the coolest cc-01! You know my fetish for portals. Your now making me want to build one. I love the skid and rear link mounts.
Thanks! I too have a portal fetish.

It's funny how people don't want to use them because they think it will kill your CG. If everything is set up correctly and you have a well balanced truck, there is alot to gain by running them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nissan231 View Post
Brilliant !! Those axial gears should beef up those portals enough to actually get some good use out of them.
So far running a 17.5 brushless on 2s the stock gears are holding up surprisingly well. I do drive pretty hard but have been trying to learn a little more self control with the throttle lately. The Axial gears should add a fair amount of reliability but I have yet to run them hard. Only concern with them is the fact that they are a sintered gear so they might break under hard useage.... Time to find out!
Old 04-01-2011, 10:30 PM   #57
Oppan Gangnam Style

I have made a few minor changes on this little guy in the name of reliability (all done awhile ago so no pics, sorry).

First off, I have broken two Yeah Racing CVD's just bombing around the shop and running things over. My fix for it requires a drillpress or better yet, a lathe.

I had a pair of Losi Comp Crawler CVD's for another project that were turned down to 4mm on the stub shaft and the inner axle as well. After fiddling around a bit, I made them fit the portals. The pin hole needed to be redrilled and the inner shaft shortened. I sleeved it with a piece of tubing and brazed it to the Yeah Racing dogbone end (all cut to the correct length obviously). Past experience with Yeah Racing stuff has always resulted in lost or broken dogbone pins so I replaced them with the stock Tamiya pins and added a dab of Loctite on each.

Other thing done was to do the 32p conversion on the spur gear.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:17 PM   #58
Moderator Rule Breaker

You had to make new rear axle shafts correct ? How did you do that ?

Is there any reason why you couldn't use GPM cvd's ?
Old 04-02-2011, 05:57 PM   #59
Oppan Gangnam Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
You had to make new rear axle shafts correct ? How did you do that ?

Is there any reason why you couldn't use GPM cvd's ?

Yeah, on the short side, I used a long TLT CVD shaft cut to the correct length, turned down the end to 4mm and drilled the pin hole. Other side was basically the same but I had to lengthen the shaft. Used some tubing to sleeve it andbrazed them together. A bit out of round but you can get away with it on this application.

Didn't try the GPM's, kinda figured they would suffer the same fate as the Yeah Racing ones. With the Comp Crawler CVD/s in it, I'm hoping I can forget that it wil ever be an issue.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:28 PM   #60
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Yeah, on the short side, I used a long TLT CVD shaft cut to the correct length, turned down the end to 4mm and drilled the pin hole. Other side was basically the same but I had to lengthen the shaft. Used some tubing to sleeve it andbrazed them together. A bit out of round but you can get away with it on this application.

Didn't try the GPM's, kinda figured they would suffer the same fate as the Yeah Racing ones. With the Comp Crawler CVD/s in it, I'm hoping I can forget that it wil ever be an issue.
The rear axle diff is splined like a tlt diff correct ? I never looked cc-01 diff.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-xc-cc01/302167-high-clearance-cc-01-power-portal.html
Posted By For Type Date
Tamiyagekken - Toon onderwerp - Portaal assen op XC? This thread Refback 02-16-2013 02:23 PM
Access Denied This thread Refback 10-07-2011 02:21 AM
Access Denied This thread Refback 10-07-2011 02:13 AM