Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Got an ealry birthday present from the wife

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2011, 07:53 PM   #1

Default Got an ealry birthday present from the wife

So the wife was nice enough to get me a new toy for my birthday. I have to say i am very impressed at how well this thing does. As it sits right now it has Integy 55t motor, Traxxas 2075 servo, Traxxas waterproof servo box, stock tev-104bk(bought used xl-5 but kid didn't tell me wouldn't program, so going send into Traxxas), some scale goodies for the outside, and losi mrc wheels and tires. Only mods so far is cut off front block (still need to make a skid plate for front), shaved down rear links so they don't hang up as much, and added a trailer hitch. Oh yeah did bearings of course. Future plans are for sterring and 4-link upgrades but might take some time for that. First baby coming in July. Paint is drying as i type this, so when done will post more pictures.

Do have two questions though.

1. Are the stock wheels dyeable?

2. I have read the ways to lock front diff, but what is every ones opion on best way to lock it?

Last edited by bill400ex; 04-09-2011 at 08:39 PM.
bill400ex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2011, 09:17 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Sweet, Those are fun trucks and cheap to fix up.
hanstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:04 PM   #3

The best way to lock the diff is using hot melt glue - it's very easy and works great..
Kuba93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:30 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Congrats on the CC01! I have my 2nd one on the way and have owned several in the past. Very capable rigs and easily modded for the most part. Tamiya includes plastic plates to lock the rear end. I usually hot glue my front diff. Keep the pics coming!
monsterbeetleguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 07:33 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Simplest way to lock the front diff is to take the third spider gear and install it directly in between the other two - keeps all three from being able to spin as they are meshed with each other. Locks the front diff firmly and only takes flipping the spider gear into the correct location if you ever want to run it open again!
.bg. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:07 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

The spider gear mod can be tricky but its worth it. I just did it monday to my new
truck and it makes a HUGE difference. Good luck and post pics.
seabeejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:37 PM   #7
Oppan Gangnam Style

For basically stock CC-01's to mildly modified ones the spider gear mod will be fine. However, if you decide to upgrade in the power department, run bigger tires and change the gearing, I'd suggest using a 2 part epoxy like JB Weld instead. I have broken the Y-pin a few times with this mod on TLT axles. Went to the epoxy and have never hada problem since.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #8

Got the body painted, not the greatest job. Had some issue with airbrush (including dropping one bottle of paint).

Here is one of how i mounted my trailer hitch. Used the support bracket from a stock Slash front bumper.

Still have to paint the rings on rims, probably going to just paint them black. And make skid plate for front, add roof rack and other scale items.

Last edited by bill400ex; 04-09-2011 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:41 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I would try going with a 500,000wt diff oil (not really oil more like play-doh) for your front diff gives it a little play to help with your turning radius.
JS412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 05:06 PM   #10

I ended up just going with jb weld, since I had it out to use were I cut block off front. Wow what a difference. Now just need better tires.