Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Jeep Wrangler build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Jeep Wrangler build

I just picked up a previously loved CC01 on the boards here. After seeing some scale vids on Youtube I knew I had to jump right in. It was in pretty decent shape with no major issues and was box stock.

I gave it a few runs in stock form and knew I couldn't leave well enough alone. So I ordered up some goodies to start with, RC4WD 1.9 Rock Crushers, Eagle 1.9 rims and a Venom 60T motor.
The Rock Crushers are big on this Jeep, but is still do able in scale form. It has taken alot of cutting, lifting and modding to get them to run without binding or digging into the body or chassis. There is a very little bit of rubbing on the body but I can live with it for now.

Here's the Crushers on the stock rims with alittle lift (slight body in the front and TLT rear shocks)

And heres the after with rims and lots of tweeking with more mods on the way.

Next on the list is:
GPM BB steering - Already on order
GPM Rear 4 link/shock mounts
GPM Steel CVD's - Next on the list
Custom 4 link rear
Paint and detail the body
3racing Winch
Remove the brick
Custom skid plates
DV8ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2011, 03:30 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Liking that hard body. They are getting hard to find and expensive too!
mud-sweat-gears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:47 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Thanks I love this body. I know RPP has them for not a bad price. I just ordered a SCX10 Honcho and am really considering ordering the same Jeep body for it. I love the detail on it. This body will (fingers crossed) get repainted this weekend.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

The body is worth more (in my opinion) if it does not have the mounting holes on the bottoms of the running boards (meaning its original release and not the one shared with the CR-01)

I had one of those bodies, but sold it because it was too far gone for me to feel like restoring.
Flowmastered87GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 06:41 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Well instead of painting the body today, my buddy came over and got him hooked on crawling. We went down to the local park and found some decent places to play.

Opps

The real one Couldn't resist having some 1:1 fun afterwards

Old 08-01-2011, 09:25 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Got around to painting today The blue looks dark in the pics but it really pops in the sun and in real life. Very very close to the 1:1 above. Just need some more little details to finish it up. I'm in the process of fabing up a aluminum skid for it (to hide the brick removal), have those pics up soon. Enjoy

You can kinda see the true color here.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:20 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

looks Good! I love my Jeep Wrnagler

Here is my Jeep when it was new out of the box

It has been beat and lots of mods since then but I still love it! My only grip is the sloppy steering (even with the GPM kit) and bump steer from hell

Its been 4 linked
GPM steering kit
GPM dog bones
GPM knuckles
Bearing set
RC4WD Steel OEM Bead locks
RC4WD Rock Crushers
Junfac Driveshaft
Junfac under skid plate
and some stuff I probably forgot about.
They also have many CC01 upgrades
http://www.junfac.com/shop/index.php...1&keyword=cc01

Here is a more recent picture (same rims just painted them black)

Here is the Junfac under skid plate and drive shaft I like Junfac better than GPM and wish I would of bought Junfacs 4 link because it is a better design.

Last edited by Grumpster1980; 08-03-2011 at 01:46 PM.
Grumpster1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:04 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Looks good Grumpster Digging that military theme.
I cut that nasty brick off and made a aluminum skid plate (runs from the back of the bottom skid right up to the body mount). Works really well and with it being one piece it allows the front end to just smoothly slide over stuff, no more hang-ups.

And where is all began.......

Old 08-12-2011, 01:22 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Thanks! I ended up adding the stock steering back in the GPM one was not working anymore. I will need some plastic weld to fill a screw hole on the tub chassis because it has stripped out. I will re tap it and hope it will hold. I also have a bunch of bling on order from JunFac. They have some cool add on parts for the CC-01

Thanks for sharing your pictures!
Old 08-12-2011, 09:02 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Don't waste time trying to save the threads in the chassis.

Drill them all the way through and run a long 3MM screw through the cover/tub and put a nut on the other side.
Flowmastered87GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 12:37 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowmastered87GL View Post
Don't waste time trying to save the threads in the chassis.

Drill them all the way through and run a long 3MM screw through the cover/tub and put a nut on the other side.

I would have done that but its right under the gear box and that would be a bad place to drill

I ended up using a slightly thicker screw and that did the trick.

I got my JunFac parts in and I know they might get hung up on the rocks but I am a sucker for bling! and it does looks good!

Front Skid

Side Bars

Rear Skid Plate

JunFac makes some great products and everything bolted up perfectly.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:34 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I like the look of that Junfac stuff I wouldn't mind their 4 link and middle skid setup. I just got my SCX 10 today and started building it So far I'm pretty impressed with Axial and the quality of their products. Its going together like butter. I will be converting it to a Jeep XJ..

The CC-01 goes out for its first real outting tomorrow, hoping it all goes well. I'll post up some pics after.
Old 08-13-2011, 09:39 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DV8ion View Post
I like the look of that Junfac stuff I wouldn't mind their 4 link and middle skid setup. I just got my SCX 10 today and started building it So far I'm pretty impressed with Axial and the quality of their products. Its going together like butter. I will be converting it to a Jeep XJ..

The CC-01 goes out for its first real outting tomorrow, hoping it all goes well. I'll post up some pics after.
Sweet I have a SCX-10 as well! The 4 link JunFac Sells is a better design than the one GPM sells.

I bought the Rock rails from Junfac for my SCX10 as well.

Old 08-14-2011, 07:13 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Looking good man.
I got the CC01 out for its maiden run today on some real rocks. I must say I was very impressed on how it ran. The 60T motor with a 16 tooth pinion gave me the perfect amount of wheel speed and torque, the rc4wd Rock Crushers ran great on both the wet rocks and the dirt trails Now on to the pics. These are just a few, I will post a link to my Photobucket account so you can see them all.
All that broke was a steering knuckle that was at the end of its life anyways. LOL

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...t%20of%202011/

The location:

The first run:

After a good day of wheeling:
Old 08-15-2011, 10:56 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Sweet spot to 4X4! and cool pictures. Did you have to use longer shocks and stiffer springs to get the rock crushers to fit? I see you had to chop the wheel wells a lot to get rid of the rub. I assume they are 1.9's ? I wonder if they make them in 1.5

Last edited by Grumpster1980; 08-15-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:29 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

It was the most amazing crawl spot I have ever been to. Lots of hard comp style stuff and great scale runs too. The trail run was really sweet, very scale and had some really hard spots to make it through.
They are 1.9 Rock Crushers, so 4.25 high. I used TLT rear shocks (because I had them laying around) and Tamiya alum touring units for the fronts, swapped in some Associated black buggy springs to soften them up. I did have to chop the front fenders on the chassis to stop rubbing, the offset on the rims doesn't push the tire out enough though so on tight turns it will rub the inner chassis a bit. They do make the tires in 1.5 but I enjoy the the 1.9's (close to scale 40's) on the Jeep. Just need to add some weight to the front and the wheels and adjust the left rear preload to get rid of the torque squat. Now I just wish there was a scale event around to run it in.
Just have to finish the Axial off now so I can take it out there.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:55 PM   #17

Default Re: Jeep Wrangler build

[QUOTE=DV8ion;3224602]Looks good Grumpster Digging that military theme.
I cut that nasty brick off and made a aluminum skid plate (runs from the back of the bottom skid right up to the body mount). Works really well and with it being one piece it allows the front end to just smoothly slide over stuff, no more hang-ups.

Sorry to bring this thread back to life, if you cut the brick off, how ha e you mounted the wrangler body? I have one and want to chop the brick away, but I've read somewhere not to do it if o have the wrangler body.

Thanks
Paul
Crawlernoob73 is offline   Reply With Quote