Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: 1st CC01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2011, 08:00 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default 1st CC01

I got this from Sloppy last month, I always wanted a ' Jero but somehow never purchased one when they were hot. This was a basic rolling chassis, I stripped down the body and repainted it w/ Krylon plastic paints. The paint job is good enough, I'm going to use this little guy as a trail basher.

After reading all that I could find about these rigs, I knew it was gonna need a bit of tweeking to make it a capable trail rig. I got the GPM steering kit ( not impressed with it at all ) along with upper and lower control arms, knuckles and caster blocks. I made adjustable caster links and my own tie rods.

With the front end finished, I turned my attention to the rear suspension. I decided to make my own link mounts and lower links. I incorporated the lower shock mount into the link mount which is now located on the top of the axle housing for better ground clearance. The suspension has decent flex now although I need to trim the rear fender wells a bit more for the tires to clear at full compression.

The shocks are SCX-10 shocks reduced in length to 70mm, I've done this mod before for my 'Yota scaler. The shocks work great and there's a lot of spring options for spring rate tuning.

The bggest mod that I did was to slow the truck down via a gear reduction box. I wanted use whatever I had on hand and I happened to have a NIP HPI WK gear reduction unit. It took a bit of trimming to get it in there but it seems to work pretty well so far. The pinion gear that I used is a 48P gear, it isn't a perfect mesh to the Tamiya gear ( I'm guessing it's a .9 or 1 MOD gear) but it's close enough. If I break it I'll do something else.

I ran the truck tonight in the basement, driving over some bricks to test the suspension and gearing, it seems like it will do OK. If it's not raining tomorrow I'll go out into the garden and run over some plants with it!

Pics: sorry I didn't take any during the modification work, once I get working with my hands I don't want to stop and take pics.

BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #2

Nice! Keep us posted on the progress
1MEANMACH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:33 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Replace that pinion soon. You have to use Metric 48P, iff you don't good luck finding another spur. Ebay and from HK are the only places I have forund any
Gula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:41 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gula View Post
Replace that pinion soon. You have to use Metric 48P, iff you don't good luck finding another spur. Ebay and from HK are the only places I have forund any
Thanks for the heads up. I did a bit of research and it seems that the pinion needs to me a .6 MOD gear.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Are the link-shock mounts for the rear just soldered together? Looks sweet! Also, how did you reduce the size of the shocks to 70mm? I have some honcho shocks that I may want to use!
LJ_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 02:41 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ_24 View Post
Are the link-shock mounts for the rear just soldered together? Looks sweet! Also, how did you reduce the size of the shocks to 70mm? I have some honcho shocks that I may want to use!
I brazed everything together. I bored and tapped the steel rod for M3 before I bent it and brazed it to the link mount. I'll get better pics when I take it apart to paint it.

The SCX-10 shocks are pretty easy to mod. I clamp the shock shaft and run a die down the threads until I get the distance that I need, then cut the shaft to the correct length. The plastic shock body gets cut down on the threaded area for the upper cap. I get about 30mm of travel from the shocks, they work great and are dirt cheap!
Old 08-19-2011, 02:43 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Does anyone know exactly what the gear pitch is for the Tamiya pinion gear? I wasted about 1 hr. on TamiyaUSA trying to find the stinking gear, hoping it would give the tech info. After I finally found the part number for the gear, it doesn't give any tech info in the description.
Old 08-19-2011, 09:36 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

0.6 module
Check this out
http://www.rcdriftclub.com/home/archives/9

Last edited by pardonmyn00b; 08-19-2011 at 09:39 PM.
pardonmyn00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 11:19 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Thanks -Noob, good article in the link.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:13 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

If you're wanting to increase your travel in the rear, mount your lower link ends perpendicular to the ground (vertically) instead of your current config. Also, if you make some new upper links and do the same, you can get quite a bit of rear travel. I'll see if I can take a pic of mine to show you. I have enough down travel that I can now run TLT shocks on a full droop.
bugman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 08:23 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

I got about 10 minutes of running today before the pinion gear slipped away from the spur, luckily I didn't mangle the spur gear. Now I either have to find a gear vendor that makes a 32T .6 Mod pinion gear or ditch the whole GRU and run a 60+ turn motor to slow things down. Hmmm, this is starting to turn into another project.............
Old 08-23-2011, 12:36 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
I got about 10 minutes of running today before the pinion gear slipped away from the spur, luckily I didn't mangle the spur gear. Now I either have to find a gear vendor that makes a 32T .6 Mod pinion gear or ditch the whole GRU and run a 60+ turn motor to slow things down. Hmmm, this is starting to turn into another project.............
I run a 55T in mine and its a great mix of low end power/top end speed/torque and I have never had any issues with the gears. I know some guys like running the GRU but IMO a 55T is a great solution for the CC01

Here is a video of my CC01 so you can get an idea of speed/torque with a 55turn
Grumpster1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:23 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Wait a minute!! Losi parts on a Tamiya??? WTF
Screw Losi and screw Horizon.
mud-sweat-gears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:34 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Nice build so far! I'm running Highlift shocks on mine for scale looks.

Still a WIP...I need to devise a way to run the stock chrome front bumper and seal up the front brick. I'd like to make some sort of scale aluminum skid for it. Already put on some black styrene for scale splash guards.

Running gear is the stock silver can, Hitec 645mg, XL-5 ESC, completely submersible, and to be installed is RC4WD's extended Punisher shaft.

I do have a waterproofed BRXL with a new 55T I may swap out. Only upgrades are the GPM aluminum knuckles and CVD's. 3 link aluminum in the back with some leftover Axial rods/ends. Wheelbase is about 13"
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 06:59 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

If you want stronger gears you can go with the 32 pitch gear mods that Mnster showed me a while back. This a direct quote and link from him.

Have you considered, doing a 32p conversion with a 60t Rc10gt gear? The stock tamiya gears I've found just can't take the abuse.

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/sho...ght=pitch+gear
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 10:03 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
If you want stronger gears you can go with the 32 pitch gear mods that Mnster showed me a while back. This a direct quote and link from him.

Have you considered, doing a 32p conversion with a 60t Rc10gt gear? The stock tamiya gears I've found just can't take the abuse.

http://www.scale4x4rc.org/forums/sho...ght=pitch+gear
It's a complete coincidence about the 32P mod, I did the same thing when I started going through spare parts boxes and found some EMaxx spurs, not knowing there was a documented mod already in existence! All I had was a 58T gear but it was enough for me to get the lathe work done and get the 'Jero up and running again. Now I'll have to find those 60T Spurs, RPP doesn't stock them.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:40 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
It's a complete coincidence about the 32P mod, I did the same thing when I started going through spare parts boxes and found some EMaxx spurs, not knowing there was a documented mod already in existence! All I had was a 58T gear but it was enough for me to get the lathe work done and get the 'Jero up and running again. Now I'll have to find those 60T Spurs, RPP doesn't stock them.
You think the optional Kimbrough spurs for the rc10 might work?

http://kimbroughracingproducts.com/s...ategory_id=195

Edit: Found some from tower.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXS396&P=7

Last edited by cartronicshn; 08-30-2011 at 10:42 AM.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 09:47 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
You think the optional Kimbrough spurs for the rc10 might work?

http://kimbroughracingproducts.com/s...ategory_id=195

Edit: Found some from tower.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXS396&P=7
I Googled '60T 32P spur gear' and found some of those Kimbrough gears at RC Planet last night so I ordered one, I'll know in a few days if it will work. I also got a 10T pinion gear, I need to slow this little rig down a bit without spending $$ for a new 60T motor.

I'll get some pics of where it's at currently and post them up.

Thanks for all of the feedback so far!