Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Spid's Unimog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2011, 10:15 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Notice tonight my truck has developed a click in the front gearbox. It's steady like once every revolution. Guess I am opening it up tomorrow to check it out.
Spidubic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2011, 10:38 PM   #42
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidubic View Post
Notice tonight my truck has developed a click in the front gearbox. It's steady like once every revolution. Guess I am opening it up tomorrow to check it out.
Check the screws on the gear cover. If they are loose you will get the gear noise. Be careful not to over tighten them.
Grumpster1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 04:54 AM   #43
Quarry Creeper

I like the winch mounted like that but, yeah now it is a pain to take the bodyoff. You going to come up with another idea for it?
SFC K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 10:36 AM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Pulled the front wheels off and discovered a dry leaf wedged into the back of the left wheel causing the clicking. Whew!

As for the winch I am going to leave it as it is for now. Figure if I just need to pop the body for battery charging I can live with it. If it starts to bug me I will look to change it.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:49 AM   #45
Quarry Creeper

Got a package in the mail today.

Dual winch controller with main On/Off/On switch. Made by Heyok. Workmanship is top notch.

Cannot wait to get home and try it. Although I need to get a second winch for the Unimog.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:44 PM   #46
Quarry Creeper

heyok's stuff is AMAZING!
cydog510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:24 AM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Do you have a link to where you can buy the winch controllers? I would like to check them out.

Thanks!
SFC K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:00 AM   #48
Quarry Creeper

HeyOK's RC Electronics updated Feb 22, 2011 - THE SCALE BUILDER'S GUILD - Presented by JOWETT'S KUSTOM RC
you might have to sign up to view, it's well worth it and free!
cydog510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 06:58 AM   #49
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by cydog510 View Post
heyok's stuff is AMAZING!
Gee, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC K View Post
Do you have a link to where you can buy the winch controllers? I would like to check them out.

Thanks!
My stuff is here on RCC as well:
HeyOK's RC Electronics items (all in one place)
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:06 AM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Hey guys. Been a while since my last update. Ran into a few issues trying to get the dual winch controller working. Heyok has been awesome in his service and support but we have continued to hit a wall and I am hoping someone on here can offer some suggestions as to what the problem may be. Here is what happens when I plug the controller in. This is the order suggested by Heyok to try and determine what is happening.

Transmitter on, only the ESC plugged into the receiver. Turned on the truck. All was good, moves forward and backward.
Unhooked one output wire on the winch controller and plugged it in so it is not powering anything. Green power light on the receiver blinked red for a millisecond then went out. Beeping started and the red LED on the ESC started blinking. I immediately unplugged the winch controller and turned off power.

Here is my list of parts:

TEU-104BK ESC
Traxxas 2218 receiver
Traxxas TQ4 4 channel transmitter. I did the wire swap on it so the 4th channel is a true 3 way and it works with the 3Racing winch controller. Also works with a servo.

Anyone have any thoughts? Heyok sent a replacement controller thinking the first simply had a problem. Second did the same thing as did the third he was nice enough to send. Like I said earlier his service and support is awesome. But all three have acted the same leading me to think there has to be an issue on my truck. Thus I am here to see if anyone has any ideas.

Update:
Heyok has given me an idea. Hoping to get a short video of what happens and post it here.

Last edited by Spidubic; 11-08-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:03 AM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Here are the videos:

This is plugging the controller in while the truck is turned on:

Plugginginwhileon.mp4 video by Spidubic - Photobucket

This is turning the truck on while the controller is plugged in:

Pluggedinturningon.mp4 video by Spidubic - Photobucket

Hope this helps.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:22 PM   #52
Quarry Creeper

Dug out the blade I was trying to get to work on my Clod and other than being too wide it fits the Unimog perfectly. Just beed to attach it and make a bar that allows the winch rope to come out a bit from the front of the truck. Then see if it does work and wait for some snow.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:54 PM   #53
Quarry Creeper

Skottoman's Unimog build has got me looking at different ideas for my bed. At first I was simply going to cut a chunk out of the bed area for the tow boom but now I am thinking of cutting the entire bed top out and building an inner bed that the tow boom will be build on. Picked up so styrene today and plan to measure and build the inner bed and if that works then I will cut the flat area of the bed out of the Unimog body and set the inner bed inside. Hopefully it will sit low enough to attach to the chassis so I can have a solid attachment point for the boom and winch. Also thinking of an exhaust stack as his looks cool.

Ordered a set of the Pro-Line Western bumpers along with another winch. Since I am way up here in Canada I expect they will arrive next week which gives me a week to get the inner bed and tow boom together and see if it is going to work.

Last edited by Spidubic; 11-15-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:43 PM   #54
Quarry Creeper

Some work done on the bed tonight. Looks like it is actually going to work as I had hoped. The bed sits right on the chassis which will allow me to bolt it down good thus giving the winch a solid base to operate from.

Old 11-15-2011, 05:44 PM   #55
Quarry Creeper

Go double stack instead of one! That will be awesome. GL with your build. Post up some pics ad you go.
liketocrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:07 PM   #56
Rock Stacker

This is awesome! Now I'm watching you!

Dropping that bed down and keeping the side walls of the bed should work well. Attaching them to the styrene my be more difficult. I use an awesome goopy glue to attach styrene and lexan. Works excellent.

Can't wait to see your progress. I'll be jealous. Heh.

Cheers,
Skottoman
skottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:20 PM   #57
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by liketocrawl View Post
Go double stack instead of one! That will be awesome.
That is the plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skottoman View Post
Attaching them to the styrene my be more difficult. I use an awesome goopy glue to attach styrene and lexan. Works excellent.
Yeah, haven't quite figured that part out yet. Guess I will cross that bridge when I get there.

Been looking at some tow truck booms trying to get ideas. Don't want to go overly complicated but I do want it to look realistic.

Boom so far:

Old 11-15-2011, 06:43 PM   #58
Quarry Creeper

No turning back now, the bed has been cut.

It is not fully trimmed. I left a little extra on the sides and back that I can trim later. The front piece still has the light controller attached so I left it for now. It might stay as is, will see when I get ready to mount the boom.
Old 11-15-2011, 07:34 PM   #59
Rock Stacker

Nice! Now that you've cut the bed out, your committed!

Here's the glue I use. The container I buy has a more pointed nozzle, which allows me to apply it easier. I basically just goop it onto the seams between lexan and styrene, let it dry overnight and it's glued! Amazing stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/E6000-Adhesive.../dp/B00178MO58

I'm glad I inspired you with my build. The double exhaust stacks will be quite nice.

Can't wait to see your styrene build on everything else. keep adding details, it just gets better!

Cheers,
Skottoman
skottoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:30 AM   #60
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by skottoman View Post
I'm glad I inspired you with my build.
Original plan had been making the Mog a tow truck but I had slacked off so your build was a nice kick in the pants. Mirrors were left off so I would not risk breaking them but now I am going to put them on.

These are the days I hate working. Renewed interest in a build and tons of ideas floating around in my head and stuck working instead of building. Going to pull the winch off the front and use it out back so I can continue the tow boom build since I need to get the western bumpers before I can redo the winch out front.

5 hours to go.........................

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-xc-cc01/335748-spids-unimog.html
Posted By For Type Date
Access Denied This thread Refback 10-07-2011 02:13 AM
Access Denied This thread Refback 10-07-2011 02:12 AM