Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Power To The Portal (Makeover)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 02:33 PM   #61
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Power To The Portal (Makeover)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJK View Post
Man this truck came out really sick!
Thanks man Glad you like it.

It is in peices now and i bead blasted alot of the parts and they are ready for paint. I have to tear down the cc01 tub and other parts for paint also im kinda exsited to show you guys it all painted up with some of the other goodies i have made for it. But i have to finish up Benzoel (Chris) IFS brackets so he can finish up his hilux.
balln is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #62
RCC Addict

I cant wait to see it all painted up, waiting!

Im thinking about doing your SCX rear chassis rail mod to one of mine,very temting. Just need chassis rails now...........................
vipxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 05:04 AM   #63
NJK
Quarry Creeper

I can't wait for the update and pics!
NJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:41 PM   #64
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipxj View Post
I cant wait to see it all painted up, waiting!

Im thinking about doing your SCX rear chassis rail mod to one of mine,very temting. Just need chassis rails now...........................
Do it they look awsome on the back of these cc01 tubs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJK View Post
I can't wait for the update and pics!
Well not that much of an update but i did get some parts in finally and installed them today before i head out for work. All thats left is put the truck back together and do the body work on it. I still need the head light buckets and stock front bumper along with mirrors. But here is a couple pics.

I disassembled all the portals and re greased them along with greasing all the cvs and dog bones then capped them with boots.

Old 07-14-2012, 02:11 PM   #65
RCC Addict

Im going to cut the back off one of mine, and do the chassis rail mod. Just got to decide what cab to use, either an FJ40, or i got a black foot cab which will need extending tho.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:15 PM   #66
Quarry Creeper

looks like a fun build...any new pics of your 1:1 nissan you were building?
briang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:16 PM   #67
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Im going to cut the back off one of mine, and do the chassis rail mod. Just got to decide what cab to use, either an FJ40, or i got a black foot cab which will need extending tho.
Chop it off man and either body would be cool i say the black foot body but they are hard to make look good due to finding tires that are scale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by briang View Post
looks like a fun build...any new pics of your 1:1 nissan you were building?
Its a blast man and i have done some work on it but not alot due to alot of other projects going on but im gonna make it my main project here soon. Still have some other stuff im building for friends and my own personal use. Just finished up by body lift on my pathy today man what a job that was by my self. Now that i can check that off my list i can put some time into the hilux. Still need a bumper, head light buckets and other small items and get the body work done.

Gotta make some new bumper mounts now so i guess those need to get done before the hilux does

If you wanna check up on my 4dr hardbody check the build thread out.
2+2=4 - Infamous Nissan - Hardbody / Frontier Forums
Old 07-16-2012, 12:52 PM   #68
RCC Addict

Im going to use the blackfoot body, ill have to do a cab+ extension to cover the CC01 battery space to where it gets the big cut.

Nice nissans to by the way, my work ute is a 1990 hardbody,fun truck.

Last edited by vipxj; 07-28-2012 at 08:03 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:03 PM   #69
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Im going to use the blackfoot body, ill have to do a cab+ extension to cover the CC01 battery space to where it gets the big cut.

Nice nissans to by the way, my work ute is a 1990 hardbody,fun truck.

The blackfoot body is going to look cool. looking forward to seeing some pics

Well i have been putting alot of time in the truck the last couple weeks trying to get it done for the big camp and crawl in Tucson. I test drove it yesterday before these pics so its a little dirty. The springs i had up front when the H3 body was on where to soft fot this setup now and you couldnt drive it due to it sagging down everytime you hit the gas or steering. I went to the hardware store and grabbed the only springs that where close to working. They are way to stiff and there is no flex in the front end now. So i have to find new springs along with new tires. I love these tires becuase they grip so good and are super soft and broken in very good but they are just a tad bit to tall and rub the fenders. Ill keep them on till i figure out the front springs but may bump them down to 1.5s

Ok on to the pics

Old 08-07-2012, 07:23 AM   #70
Quarry Creeper

Dang Ryan it came out clean now I need to finish mine quick.
benzoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:13 AM   #71
I wanna be Dave

Your bed design is perfect. Simple and all business.
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:42 PM   #72
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzoel View Post
Dang Ryan it came out clean now I need to finish mine quick.
Thanks man yeah you need to finish it up already!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaclip View Post
Your bed design is perfect. Simple and all business.
Thanks you I wish i could say it was simple but i had alot of blending and after welding it up it worped pretty bad on me but i got it all straightened up with the last bit of welds and lots of weight on it.

Glad you guys like it and thanks for commenting
Old 08-09-2012, 08:46 PM   #73
Oppan Gangnam Style

Dang! You did it right sir! Looks like a winner to me.

Where did the boots for the half shafts go? I don't see them in the latter pictures.

Can't wait to see some video!
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:02 AM   #74
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
Dang! You did it right sir! Looks like a winner to me.

Where did the boots for the half shafts go? I don't see them in the latter pictures.

Can't wait to see some video!
Thanks glad you like it. I mocked some 1.5s on the front and back and they do clear the portals. So I'm prob gonna go that route with it and as far as those boots go I wasted my time putting the build on hold to get them in. They fit really nice when I first put them on then they ended up ripping on me and when I test drove it for the first time they bundled all up and I just ended up ripping them out. Kinda a bummer becuase I has greased the dogbones and they looked cool. Lol.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:09 PM   #75
RCC Addict

now you need a beowulf rear axle under that bed
brianw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:14 AM   #76
Rock Crawler

This is absolutely amazing mate! It's look so friggen scale at the moment, the battery tool box and jerry cans all look perfectly placed and the little fake exhaust is especially nice. I remember seeing this thread ages ago in the CC01 section and it's been the main drive behind me getting a GMade R1 crawler. Portal axles are awesome!
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:49 PM   #77
Quarry Creeper

dam! A bad ass crew cab hard body, awesome re-birth of a sweet old chassis and a new dad! Your a busy man sir...i think ive wheeled with a couple of those rigs in a pic or two on the west side far out on northern ave a couple years ago with my losi 1/10 rig. when i head out east ill let ya know id like to see that nissan!
SIK_BOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 08:58 PM   #78
I wanna be Dave

Great job Ryan, this is a far cry from your old Range Rover, you've become quite the fabricator.

I look forward to getting out on the trail with you again
bmuzz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 09:26 PM   #79
Quarry Creeper

Boy this truck sure has been around awhile and evolved into one awesome looking rig!
SFC K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:04 PM   #80
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianw View Post
now you need a beowulf rear axle under that bed
Yeah there nice but it would be kinda hard to mount the portal box to that axle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by derb View Post
This is absolutely amazing mate! It's look so friggen scale at the moment, the battery tool box and jerry cans all look perfectly placed and the little fake exhaust is especially nice. I remember seeing this thread ages ago in the CC01 section and it's been the main drive behind me getting a GMade R1 crawler. Portal axles are awesome!
Thanks man Yeah the tool box was fun to make and the jerry cans are actually dental floss containers. A lady was giving dental packages away at the Mcdonalds drive through and they where in there. I asked for another package so i could get another floss container lol Sprayed them red and scraped the paint off the metal floss cutter And the thread in the cc01 section is when Dean built it and there is alot of good info in that thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIK_BOY View Post
dam! A bad ass crew cab hard body, awesome re-birth of a sweet old chassis and a new dad! Your a busy man sir...i think ive wheeled with a couple of those rigs in a pic or two on the west side far out on northern ave a couple years ago with my losi 1/10 rig. when i head out east ill let ya know id like to see that nissan!
Thanks man and yeah its been pretty crazy around here. Another reason why im selling the 4dr project. And getting rid of all my nissan stuff. Just getting burnt out on it. Im looking at getting a air cooled vw and drive it for a bit then cut it up and make a rod out of it. When you wanna go out and crawl let me know and we can try and get together. I took it out wheeling a couple weeks ago for its first outing and managed to brake one of the rear body mounts so i have to fix it. Then give it a bit of a body lift so i can clear the tires. Was thinking about getting 1.5s but these tires work to well and im afraid the 1.5s wont work that well. Its already hard to drive with this ifs setup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmuzz1 View Post
Great job Ryan, this is a far cry from your old Range Rover, you've become quite the fabricator.

I look forward to getting out on the trail with you again
HAHAHAH Thanks Brian Yeah the rover was a fun build and a very capable little rig. But before that was my tamiya yj on a custom chassie. That was my first custom build and man did that thing suck. Was way to top heavy and i was running a stick bat But now that i have access to proper tools and can Tig weld it makes fabricating alot easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFC K View Post
Boy this truck sure has been around awhile and evolved into one awesome looking rig!
Thanks man Yeah i still have plans to put a older style pathfinder body on it but i have to wait till i find someone to custom build me one.