Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Power To The Portal (Makeover)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2015, 09:24 AM   #101
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Power To The Portal (Makeover)

this has to be the best build thread i have ever read . there should me a movie made out of it lol . all joking aside that is an awesome cc-01 that you have and the build quailty of everyone who has touched is shown by it staying together so long
fullsizecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2015, 09:34 AM   #102
I wanna be Dave

That nissan body looks great!
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 08:53 AM   #103
RCC Addict

Had to dig this up from the grave, you still running it balln?
ScaleFreak93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 09:47 PM   #104
Rock Crawler

Man it's been some time since this thread has seen some love and even longer for the rig. Been super busy and still am but been thinking more and more about bringing this little guy back to life. After a old childhood friend got the bug to bight again I did some searching and came across some STL files up for grabs and think I'm gonna purchase them and have them 3D printed. A guy I do some welding for just so happens to be a badass when it comes to printing and has 6 or 7 printers that run every day. I've talked it over and he is on board with printing me up a body. One of the reasons it's been in a box for so many yrs is becuase I could never find a body that I was truly happy with. But I have found two that I think will satisfy the look I've had for it for so long. I'm on the fence on which route to go. SUV or 4dr pickup? Hmmmm
balln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 12:20 AM   #105
Rock Stacker

I vote SUV, it’s goid to see some action on this thread, I was excited when the email hit my inbox.
CHEVOTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 08:54 AM   #106
Rock Crawler

That's awesome. Gives me motivation. And I'm leaning towards the SUV route. Think I'm going to print both bodies but have a feeling it will end up the SUV and then I'll have to choose between two paint schemes I have in mind.
Old 08-18-2019, 08:21 PM   #107
Rock Crawler

Ok I'm gonna try this Tapatalk app out. Photobucket was wanting me to pay some ridiculous amount of money to upload more photos to my existing account.

Well got some updates. These pics were sent to me today. I'm getting pretty excited about this and cant wait to see the body come together. I'm pretty lucky to have a 3d printer guru behind this process. He definitely knows his stuff and from what I can see I wont have much body work. Cant wait to meet up with him later this week to see everything in person.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Old 08-20-2019, 05:24 PM   #108
Rock Crawler

More updates today. Still havent seen it in person yet.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:30 PM   #109
RCC Addict

This is awesome bro! Can't wait to Get out on the rocks and check this thing out!
AnimalHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 02:15 PM   #110
Rock Crawler

Thanks Justin. Looking forward to getting out and crawling with you as well. Have some more updates and have majority of the body here at the house. Still have all the bumpers and light bezels and grill ect to print. Body turned out pretty good in my opinion. Cant wait to get it all glued together and sitting on the chassie. Some of you could probably tell from the pics above that it was gonna be a late 80s , early 90s 2dr Nissan pathfinder or the wd21 / Terrano. Super stoked to finally build a Nissan. I've always been a fan of the Pathfinders and Hardbodys. I do prefer the 4dr over the 2dr but I'm not gonna be picky. I did find a picture online that I plan to replicate and did make me fall in love with the 2dr. Looks pretty tuff!!!!

Old 09-10-2019, 07:03 AM   #111
Rock Crawler

Was able to glue the 3 major body halfs together and get it sitting ontop of some tires to get a idea of what she will look like. I may go smaller tires. Dont want the rig to sit up to high. What's your guys thoughts on that? The chassie needs some love and I plan to get a new tub and go from there. Not sure yet what I'm swapping over to the new one as of now. I do have the files for a 4dr hardbody I might put on this tub with the frame rails and truggy bed.

Old 09-19-2019, 04:37 PM   #112
Rock Crawler

Plan to get a new chassis and looking forward to it coming in so I can make body mounts but in the meantime I had a idea I've been kicking around for awhile now and decided I needed to make something for it to keep the progress going. They ain't pretty right now but they will look better when I sand the joint more.

Old 10-20-2019, 06:39 PM   #113
I wanna be Dave

Those custom arms are kiler. How did you keep everything true while you braized (?) the pieces together?

Where are the shocks going?

I like how you took the most unique cc01 and just kept making it more unique. Looking forward to pics of it out in the wild with the new shell.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 07:48 PM   #114
I wanna be Dave

For the body you can stretch out the wheel openings. Cut, heat, bend to keep body lines.
You can do this to the 3d file before you print too.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Voodoobrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 01:48 PM   #115
Rock Crawler

Thank you. I wanted to get my ground clearance up front a little wider. And did a number of different things to keep them true. One was put the ends on the shafts that stuck out of the arms and Tig welded them then I also stuck them on the chassie with the shafts and clips installed and once everything was lined up how I wanted it I fused it together then tore it all down and finished tig welding them. They still ain't done and need a little bit of clean up. As far as shocks go I plan to run the same ones and weld some tabs to the arms and now that the bottom arms are higher the shocks will want to go through the wheel well. Not sure if I'm gonna drill holes in the new tub for the wheel Wells like some others have done. And she isnt done yet. Alot more to come. I'm also looking forward to getting it out on some trails. It's been a couple yrs since I wheeled a rc. Thanks for the advice on printing. I dont know much about it. I'm pretty happy with the body. Only thing I wouldn't mind is the front fenders having more flair like the real 4x4 fenders. But we talked about printing another body with some changes to his printer and and how it prints to see if we can get a stronger and smoother shell. Maybe we will try what you mentioned on it.
Old 10-29-2019, 08:40 AM   #116
Oppan Gangnam Style

Hell yeah! Bringing it back!!
So glad you still have this, miss this rig! Was thinking about building another one but too much other stuff going on. Not to mention all my other projects. I like the high clearance arms, great work!

... and that printed body. Awesome!
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:36 PM   #117
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
Hell yeah! Bringing it back!!
So glad you still have this, miss this rig! Was thinking about building another one but too much other stuff going on. Not to mention all my other projects. I like the high clearance arms, great work!

... and that printed body. Awesome!
Yeah man and I'm pretty excited about it. When I let it go awhile back and seen it get passed around and beat to death it hurt. I knew I had to get her back. Have had a few people over the yrs message me on here about buying it but I couldnt find it in me to let her go. I'm hoping the arms perform like I want. I think once they are mounted they will do good. I remember them hanging up on rocks back in the day. Picked up a mini lathe and have some time under my belt so plan to make shims and get those internals of the portals nice and snug. They have gotten some slop over the yrs.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:33 PM   #118
Rock Crawler

Not much of a update but I did get the new chassis in and plan on swapping everything over to it. Also pretty excited about getting my hands on the file for a 4dr Pathfinder. Was originally what I wanted to put on this rig. The 2dr is still going on a cc01 platform and will still be based off a weekend warrior style rig. Plan to start printing the 4dr body here in the next week or so.

Old 11-28-2019, 09:32 AM   #119
Oppan Gangnam Style

Something I'd recommend on the new chassis, helicoil all the screw holes like I did on the origunal chassis. Makes life much easier (no stripped threads) during disassembly and reassembly, especially when using M3 hardware instead of the Tamiya self tappers.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 04:11 PM   #120
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
Something I'd recommend on the new chassis, helicoil all the screw holes like I did on the origunal chassis. Makes life much easier (no stripped threads) during disassembly and reassembly, especially when using M3 hardware instead of the Tamiya self tappers.
Yeah I just looked them up. Not to bad on the price. Hopefully this weekend I can get some time to start the break down and go through everything and start swapping stuff over to the new tub.