Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: waterproofing the cc 01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default waterproofing the cc 01

i have new bearings in it. was going to pack the axle and gear box with axle grease.. this should do a pretty good job?? right? thanks
m1009cucv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-2011, 09:50 AM   #2
RCC Addict

anyone
Old 10-18-2011, 10:54 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I did the same thing to mine but have not pulled the axle apart yet to see if it helped. I clean mine after a run and spray with WD40 really well.
SFC K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Yup you got it right...assuming your servo, ESC, RX, BEC, is waterproofed already.

Axles pack them with white lithum grease until they ooze out. Clean them off and you're good to go!

Actually any grease will work since it will keep the water/mud/dirt out of the axle. I do this to all my axles if I plan on submarine runs or mud bogging.

I am about to use Lucas Red n Tacky on my Wraith build in the axles. It seems a lot thicker than lithium grease.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 03:04 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Lucas Red n Tacky where did you buy it... would think that would do better then the axle grease.. was going to use axle grease since i have a it already
Old 10-18-2011, 04:40 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

It would probably work fine, I just have a little in mine and have not cracked the rear open in YEARS and it gets submerged in mud and water, gets run in scale comps... basically if it still runs... I don't do any maintenance to it. It even leaves a little oil slick behind it when I submerge it Neglectful yes... but I have had this rig since 1993-1994ish and it seems to run better if you just lube it once and don't keep tearing it open (because the screw holes wear out so fast)
Flowmastered87GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:29 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Lucas Red n Tacky comes in a 12oz tube if I remember right. I got it at AutoZone along with a cheap grease gun. I just built the axles on the Wraith this morning. Looking at the overall design with the diff case that can open up...I don't think jamming a bunch of Red n Tacky in there is worth it.

It can displace water for years that's for sure. But If I want to change out the ring/pinion which I probably will later it will be a complete mess. However on Axial/Tamiya axles go for it! You probably won't be changing much on them anyway. On the Wraith I might just keep it splash proof.

The tranny however is going to get packed with Red n Tacky. That stuff is awesome! At least 3-4x thicker than white lithium grease.

This is more like a paste lol.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:41 PM   #8
RCC Addict

i just got the red and tacky.. very think... is it to think you think? i was thinking it would make the motor work harder... really is like paste or does it not matter at all