Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 12:00 AM   #41
Rock Stacker

Default Re: CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build

What model shocks did you buy? RC4WD ultimate scale?
SMiTHBRo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2012, 12:14 AM   #42
Rock Crawler

GMade XD Diaphragm shocks. One set of 84mm and one set of 93mm. They are meant for bigger rigs or 1/8 rigs I think.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 12:41 AM   #43
Rock Stacker

Might be similar to the set on my SCX10. Are they like a beefier version of the ultimate scale?
Old 09-11-2012, 01:50 AM   #44
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMiTHBRo View Post
Might be similar to the set on my SCX10. Are they like a beefier version of the ultimate scale?
Nah dude, much thicker than the SCX10 standard shocks. Imagine a tube of lipstick, like that thick. For another example, the provided ball mounts/mounting bits are 10mm. There was no way to tell from pics that it was bigger than any other type of shock. I just didn't read the measurements and made an assumption. Alan got them swapped this arvo like the legend he is. I will be heading over to his soon to complete the failed upgrade with the new shocks.
Old 09-11-2012, 04:58 PM   #45
Rock Crawler

Had a good night last night even with one slight hurdle. MoonUnit had swapped the GMade shocks for a full set of 90mm RC4WD red scale shocks. The hurdle is that one of the four had a really rough, scrapy feeling when moving the shaft up and down. The other 3 were fine, but nothing we tried fixed up the horrible scraping feeling. So we rebuilt a set of stock Axial SCX10 shocks that he had spare and chucked them in the back. I'll go and get the screwy shock replaced on Saturday and will see if OZRC has any of the scale shock boots as I think they look really cool on these internally sprung shocks. He also wired up and configured my Castle 10A BEC and now my steering is nice and strong. The BEC has even reduced my turning circle by at last 1 foot if not more! Currently one very happy chappy and can't wait for the weekend.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #46
Rock Stacker

Gmade G-Transition Shock Black 80mm (4) for 1/10 Crawler & Truck [GM20504] : JunFac.com

is this what you ordered originally?
Old 09-13-2012, 08:07 PM   #47
Rock Crawler

Gmade XD Aeration Shock 85mm (2) [GM21607] : JunFac.com
Old 09-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #48
Rock Crawler

Time for an update. I got the massive GMade shocks swapped for a full set of red 90mm RC4WD 'ultimate' scale shocks. I added 2 drops of oil to lubricate the shafts, but left them empty and just internally sprung. They are excellent for droop straight out of the packet. I'll get some of the scale shock boots from RC4WD as well to make it look a little more realistic.

I also killed both CVDs properly and ended up buying another set from the local shop. I got my JunFac driveshaft installed as well and MoonUnit wired up and configured the Castle 10A BEC so the steering is excellent. It's taken a foot or two out of my turning circle it's that good!

So where did all of the above get me? First place in the latest scale class 1 round of our local crawling comp last weekend. Finished first in points on all three courses with a perfect run on the last water-based course. So I'm a very happy boy.

I'm headed over to MoonUnit's place shortly to start painting the Brat shell so it will be ready for the next comp next weekend. So before I go out and get it all dirty again, I did a big photo shoot on my balcony. Enjoy.

Old 09-23-2012, 03:03 AM   #49
Rock Crawler

Made serious progress on the Brat shell this weekend. Did the black and silver accents yesterday and dumped a full can of orange on it today. Got myself an xacto knife finally and have put all the window dressings on the shell. Lots more details to come, but here is a quick teaser pic. I'm so stoked!

Old 10-01-2012, 02:10 AM   #50
Rock Crawler

Last edited by derb; 10-01-2012 at 02:23 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:41 AM   #51
Rock Crawler

Updates. I did OK in the last comp round on Sunday, 2x third places and a first, but overall third out of four entrants. Got some pics thanks to Krawler24. The pics above came from the Monday after the comp and were taken at Cedar Creek. I did mange to be completely retarded though and kill my drive shaft. The end came free from the rear axle and silly me thought, "that's fine, i'll just drive it back to the car and it'll carry the shaft along". Except the shafts are two pieces. Getting a replacement tomorrow. :(

Old 10-06-2012, 12:05 AM   #52
Rock Stacker

New shell looks bitching dude. I was a bit thrown off by the fluoro orange, but the livery tones it down perfectly
Old 10-06-2012, 04:58 AM   #53
Rock Crawler

I've got some orange rimmed spotlights on it today, looks amazing. Will get some pics tomorrow and bring it round yours.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:34 AM   #54
Rock Crawler

Finally pulled the rear axle and diff apart after the buzzing noise at the end of the trail drive weekend before last. Prognosis, fairly rooted. Snapped 2 out of 3 pins off the spider carrier, bent and warped the pinion gear faces and there was a seized bearing in there too. And all that black powder is, I'm guessing, gear faces and chips of metal. Broke another CVD as well. So, I am currently sizing up some TA02 CVDs and the RC Chanel full metal diff and front arm conversion kit. You can see that the TA02 CVDs are a different type compared to the very open CC01 CVDs.

A. CC-01 front and rear Metal axle kit, Rc Channel - The Worlds of Rc Car Parts

Tamiya TA02 Aluminum Front Universal Swing Shaft ( 43mm Cvd ) 1 Pair Black GPM Racing TA2243

Old 10-14-2012, 04:38 PM   #55
Rock Crawler

I have ordered parts bags C and G off ebay this morning. I've decided to rebuild both the front diff, and the whole rear diff and axle with those bags. I didn't put any grease inside the rear axle at all, not even on the crown and pinion, so I realise where all that dust came from now.
Old 10-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #56
Pebble Pounder

Those soft metal gears don't last long as you've found out(well without grease anyway ). 1 way to lock a tamiya gear diff is to fill them with 2part epoxy. Selleys Knead It Steel - Epoxy Putty | Selleys Australia

Build the diff as per the instructions for an open diff centre(don't ad grease), fill in between the spider gears with the epoxy then press the side gear into the epoxy and fit the rear diff cover and tighten the screws.

This is a permenant way of locking the diff, if you don't want that just lock it with the parts that come in the "G" parts bag.
Attached Images

Cortina79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:17 PM   #57
Rock Crawler

Yep that looks like a plan. Will try out the plastic locker pieces, but my mate has some JB Weld I can throw in there too so I may as well do both and lock it right up. That was my exact idea for the front diff lock too. Thanks for the pics man.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #58
Rock Stacker

Pretty sure I have the diff parts you need dude. Think TT01 uses the same gearset in their gear diffs, I have a complete bag from a parts bag I bought a while back.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:32 PM   #59
Rock Crawler

Started rebuilding the drivetrain last night. Got the rear axle completed, locked properly with the G parts, sealed bearings and lots of grease. However, when building it, MoonUnit noted that there is some diff slop inside the axle. The diff itself can move a few millimeters left to right and this will cause early wear on the pinion input gear. After looking for some shims/spacers, MoonUnit had an idea and we put one of the old 5mmx11mm bearings on the left driveshaft between the diff and the first sealed bearing on the axle. It fit perfectly, but we still had slop. So I had the bright idea to add a 5mmx8mm bearing as well. This combo fits PERFECTLY into the diff housing. Neither bearings are touching surfaces, so you can use old seized bearings, or even the plastic and copper ones that come in the stock CC01 kit. There is now absolutely ZERO slop in the rear axle. I would encourage you all to have a crack at this mod as it will most likely save you from having to rebuild the diff again.

Old 10-31-2012, 04:37 PM   #60
RCC Addict

Thanks for tip, will look at this on mine when I strip down for GPM upgrades soon.
northernerbill is offline   Reply With Quote

CC-01 Landcruiser 40 build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cc01 landcruiser body vs cr01 landcruiser body ? hellbounder Tamiya XC/CC01 1 05-08-2012 06:08 AM
Toyota Landcruiser FJ80 build. Wild trial 1.9 Scale Rigs 36 10-25-2011 08:58 PM
Landcruiser mwscooters Axial SCX-10 5 09-06-2011 03:02 PM
My new CR-01 Landcruiser norbyx Tamiya CR-01 7 04-29-2010 01:37 PM
Landcruiser 671offroader 2.2 Scale Rigs 4 07-30-2009 04:20 PM