Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: How to ruin a perfectly good CC-01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 03:14 PM   #1

Talking How to ruin a perfectly good CC-01

My name is Nick and I’ve lurked these forums for years and admired the work that many of you have done. I’ve started a couple builds but ended up selling them off for a variety of reasons. I’ve been in the hobby since ’87 when I got a Blackfoot kit and Airtronics pistol grip controller for my birthday. I currently have a Tamiya Pajero, Blackfoot, TT-01 BMW M3, Kyosho Inferno GT2, Futaba FX-10, Traxxas Rustler and Smartech Magic Wheel (T-Maxx clone). Many others have come and gone, but thats the current lineup.

This thread is going to be a build thread for my CC-01 that I bought a few years back. Prior to this build, it was stock except for a Moped V16R ESC, Trinity P2K2, bearings and set of tire chains. It was a blast in the snow, but I had another vintage part sitting in the box in the garage that I should have probably sold due to it being a bit rare, but alas it is getting stuffed into the Pajero.

My unmolested matte khaki Pajero

Mr. Pajero meet Mr. Dremel

A closer look...

The hood is going to open and needs some clearance.....cowl induction time:

Styrene added, filled, primed and close to ready for paint:

Homemade aluminum spur....am I doing this wrong?

One last teaser for now. I cleaned up the openings I made for extra clearance in the front. They look much neater now and installed an aluminum plate up there too.....

I've got some other mods done that I'll add pictures of later.
This is going to move a bit slow especially now that I ruined the body yesterday with CitriStrip….long story. Luckily the hood is mostly done, but the main body will have to be replaced.

Last edited by 83imp; 09-20-2012 at 08:51 PM.
83imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: How to ruin a perfectly good CC-01

Home made spur looks pretty good man. Did you chop out the front for that tray only or are you going to be doing a high mount on the shocks?
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:13 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Sounds very interesting, but your pics are so big they take up my lounge room so there very hard to see.
greenjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 04:13 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by derb View Post
Home made spur looks pretty good man. Did you chop out the front for that tray only or are you going to be doing a high mount on the shocks?
Well, that is where the "ruining"part comes from. That plate is there for something to mount to. Also, the spur is a combination of pieces of the original spur, an industrial timing belt pulley from McMaster-Carr and there is a piece inside that I turned on the lathe inside that helps everything stay together. There is a reason for the belt drive and I'll offer an internet high-five to whoever guesses what the heck is going on under the hood of this Pajero before I post it Keeping it a surprise for a bit. At that point, most people will bail from the thread....LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjk View Post
Sounds very interesting, but your pics are so big they take up my lounge room so there very hard to see.
Thanks for the heads-up....that's what I get for uploading the pics to Imageshack from my phone. They look good in Tapatalk, but Imageshack photos are blocked at work so I can't see how they are displayed on a computer. I'll fix them when I get home.

Last edited by 83imp; 09-20-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 04:37 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Belt drive CC01 sounds unique mate. I'll take a random guess, but are you going to mount the motor over the front axle?
Old 09-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

nice idea with the hood
mikemollic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by derb View Post
Belt drive CC01 sounds unique mate. I'll take a random guess, but are you going to mount the motor over the front axle?
Yes. I'm just hoping the belt holds up. It is kevlar reinforced, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemollic View Post
nice idea with the hood
Thanks! I scored the underside at the front and then two more scores on the top to get the contour how I wanted it. It ended up a really low effort deal that turned out really well.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:25 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Very cool mate, looking forward to the pics and testing of this rig. That's gotta be the only belt driven CC01 on the planet man!
Old 09-20-2012, 10:37 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Belts are sweet - I'm excited to see how it turns out!
Manfjourde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:12 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Pics are a lot better now mate looks interesting, I'll be keeping an eye on this one.
greenjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:09 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Hmmm small nitro engine??
Flowmastered87GL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:21 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

That pajero looked really good in that color and the stance was great. I'm thinking with the cowl hood is for cooling and belt drive with the alum. plate it has to be a gas engine. But with the plate and engine it would prob stick out the hood a lot. I always wanted a gas powered scaler I don't care how it performed lol would be cool.
balln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by balln View Post
I'm thinking with the cowl hood is for cooling and belt drive with the alum. plate it has to be a gas engine. But with the plate and engine it would prob stick out the hood a lot. I always wanted a gas powered scaler I don't care how it performed lol would be cool.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowmastered87GL View Post
Hmmm small nitro engine??
DING! DING! DING!

I’m at work right now so I don’t have pics of my engine, but I have had one of these NIB for a few years that I’ve been planning on stuffing into something and one day after giving the CC-01 a good look, it became my prime candidate. The only issue was crank rotation and that is why I went with the belt drive. I originally wanted to use the GPM aluminum spur and Traxxas 32p clutch bell....easy, huh? Too easy. The engine rotates the wrong direction and I could have flipped the rear axle and ran 2wd, but what's the point? I wanted to go chain drive, but ratios became a problem with the space for the spur in the chassis.

I’m hoping it will hold up, but I’m not too worried because this engine is fairly weak (.56hp) compared to today’s powerplants.

I’m going to get some pics up tonight or tomorrow, but I also got my 4-link done and installed my GPM steering and shock mounts.

Last edited by 83imp; 09-24-2012 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-30-2012, 09:51 PM   #14

This project came to a screeching halt last week after I machined the adapter for the engine pulley to mate to the Outlaw Rampage Pro clutch bell I am using. I made the adapter as small as possible and it screws onto the clutch bell's super fine threads (I'll probably never use that M10x.5 tap again....lol) and the pulley fits into the other side. It looked great until I positioned the engine and all the bits in approximate position and the upper pulley was about 1/4" past the lower pulley

Never fear....the OS Powerblock and most of the small-block parts I have, including the Duratrax 4-shoe flywheel and clutch kit I was going to use are from a time when some kits used collet-fitted flywheels and others were meant to be used with the engine's supplied "drive washer". By eliminating the drive washer and using a more up-to-date flywheel with collet and ditching the drive washer, that would fix that problem. The other problem I was unaware of when I ordered the Outlaw Rampage Pro clutch bell was how shallow it was from front to back. Luckily, a 4-Tec nut works perfectly!

So, I here is what I'm cobbling together to get the power transmitted from the engine to the tranny:

A stubby 4-Tec clutch adapter for my stubby clutch bell:

A T-Maxx flywheel/clutch setup (I'll be using the bell for something else soon):

A vintage Outlaw Rampage Pro clutch bell:

A 15-tooth McMaster-Carr timing belt pulley:

I've also machined an adapter that fits the timing belt pulley to the screw-on clutch bell. I think the project should start moving forward again now that I can figure out exactly where to position the engine.

Last edited by 83imp; 09-30-2012 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:16 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Getting complicated already I see. Technically you'll be the most scale correct since you have a gas powered engine.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:16 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Getting complicated already I see. Technically you'll be the most scale correct since you have a gas powered engine.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:17 AM   #17
REST IN ALOHA CHIP

look up Tamiya TG10, some of the motor mount stuff should help you, seeing as how they redesigned that os12 LD around that chassis. back in 1998,or something like that.
YoUnG_vErSiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

I love where this is going. cant wait to see more pics
balln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

I love the ingenuity, but nitro? lol
abailey21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #20

LOL, yes nitro. I've had the engine for ages and have always wanted to install it in something fairly scale.

A few small updates. I’ve been tied up at work and haven’t had much time to do anything until today.

Homebuild links with threaded rod, aluminum tubing and Traxxas ends:

Fuel tank installed where the battery used to reside and GPM steering installed:

The engine with flywheel, clutchbell and pulley installed:

I actually have a little more done than that. I have the engine mounted and am going to try to get the muffler mounted along with the upper mounts for the front shocks. From there, it is mostly small things like linkage to the carb, hooking fuel lines up and breaking in the engine.

Last edited by 83imp; 10-10-2012 at 03:33 PM.

How to ruin a perfectly good CC-01 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help me before I ruin my new toy BigBoss EnRoute Berg 12 03-10-2011 12:31 AM
Why Ruin the Design? bradkanus Venom Creeper 14 04-28-2010 02:21 PM
do tires have to be perfectly round ?? izeman Tires and Wheels 4 02-12-2010 08:02 AM
Ruin A Wish engineerjoe Chit Chat 508 07-18-2009 07:51 AM