Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Jeep YJ CC-01 build ordered!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2013, 04:58 AM   #1

Wink Jeep YJ CC-01 build ordered!

Well I am going to be starting my second CC-01 build this month. I finally finished my other scalers to my liking and am gonna build up a simpleton. Nothing fancy. The parts I ordered:

TAM 84071 Jeep Wrangler Kit
35T lathe motor
Hitec 645MG
CC048 GPM steering
Rubber sealed Bearings
M-Parts for rear bumper and highlift holder
G-Parts Gear Part Tree to lock both diffs (I know I could've wedged the bevel gears with one from the rear but anything worth doing is worth doing right.)

I am probably going to remove the brick on this one never did on my pajero/bronco below. My bronco started life as a Pajero and turned into a bronco before the bronco CC-01 and unimog existed and while the jeep was disco'd. Also gonna try the pajero wheels and tires on the kit first. I have already started soaking them in simple green, I hope they soften up. I never used them on the Pajero, It got the integy wheels and Mud slingers from the get go. May move to 1.55 steel spokes and MT MTZ's later.

Last edited by ashman; 03-07-2013 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Forgot a part Servo
ashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-2013, 04:43 AM   #2

Smile Re: Jeep YJ CC-01 build ordered!

Update finally started getting parts. All I am waiting on is the parts for the front locker. Also looking for paint options. here in Germany tamiya paints are high dollar or Euro rather. Will any automotive lacquer due? They have some brand in Toom (German Hope Depot) labeled RACING it says its a lacquer based paint?

The mini man cave build area.

Parts, yaaaahhhhhh.

Rear bumper part tree.

Thought I'd add a pick of my current collection and a pic of the micro crawlers and micro course.

Last edited by ashman; 03-16-2013 at 04:46 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:16 AM   #3

Default Re: Jeep YJ CC-01 build ordered!

Nice Bronco! Will be tuning in to see how your build goes. You have inspired me to try and build my son and I a small little crawling area in the garage, I like the table idea. Thx
volcanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:38 AM   #4

Thanks, for the comments. My crawler course was all scrap board, cardboard boxes , packing foam, paper machete, and plaster cloth. Best way to build one. Don't plan it at all. Just throw it together. Oh and flexstone paint.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

That course is sweet man

looking forward to see how the jeep looks, i like the bronco
scorpion ax-10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:44 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Nice collection you got there:thumbup:
If you're wondering how MT MTZ's look on a Wrangler...here is a pic of my second Wrangler with them on 1.55 steelies. I think they look like a great fit and give it a nice stock look. Also keeps the cog down since they aren't tall(these tires are small) They won't crawl over everything but they do work quite well depending on terrain. I just took it for a shakedown run the other day on some smooth rock with just a bit of a rough texture to them. They worked pretty good on the stuff and I'm happy with them. They will rub the fenders a bit when you get in a really tight bind but it's gotta be a really tight bind.
Attached Images

railripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Edit^^^-I kept the foams out of them as well and no weights. The tires have a nice realistic feel, handling and flex over terrain well.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:26 AM   #8

Well I started working yesterday, but only got as far as removing part of the brick. I wanted to keep the stock front body mount, so I cut the brick just under it. Then I spent about an hour sanding smoothing and cutting some black styrene to fill the gaps back in. I have a pic I'll post later. I have no intentions on body lifting this guy so, removing the front brick completely wasn't needed in my opinion. I will probably still build an aluminum front skid later to add some scaleness and protection. I am definitely leaning more and more towards the MTZ's and black or white steel spokes. This will be a mud, sand, grass, and water vehicle more than a crawler. I have two SCX-10's for crawling, even with the 1.55 mud thrasher's on my cherokee, it still crawls like a champ. The Dingo has the stock 1.9's and tires and rarely do I have any issues there either. I think the MTZ's are very close to looking 32x11.50r15 ish. I'll use the stockers for a little while but the purchase of the MTZ"s is inevitable.
Old 03-18-2013, 03:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by railripper View Post
Edit^^^-I kept the foams out of them as well and no weights. The tires have a nice realistic feel, handling and flex over terrain well.

"railripper" like the pics from what I can make out, kinda fuzzy!
So no foams, did you drill an air hole in the wheels or just leave them sealed by the beadlocks?
Old 03-18-2013, 03:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpion ax-10 View Post
That course is sweet man

looking forward to see how the jeep looks, i like the bronco

Thanks scorpion ax-10, I too have high hopes for the Jeep, LOL! I miss my old micro course, it was larger but, I knew it wouldn't make the move from Utah to Germany. If you look at the cardomain website where I am hosting my images you can see my old micro course.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Ashman-I didn't drill holes, just the beadlock sealing the tires. No need to drill holes as that will make the tires look flat with no foams. Sorry about the pics, taken from my phone and the lens has pretty much bit the bullet. There's a pic of these tires on the rc4wd website. Go to 1.55 tires, click on the mtz's and scroll to the bottom of the page, they have the tires on a cc01 Wrangler as well and that helped me seal the deal on them.
The tires are a pain to get on steelies. I used a bolt, piece of servo horn amd nut to clamp the wheel together so I can mount the tire. There's a how to in the tires/wheels section I believe. Looking forward to how she comes out:thumbup:
Old 03-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #12

Decided on color's Today. I got to thinking, I had a cousin that had a YJ that he dearly loved until he totaled it. Don't remember the exact year, but it was an islander, like the one below. So in Tribute to
Samuel Aaron McCullough 07-Jul 1980 - 30-Aug 2002 R.I.P.

The Colors:

Brick Removal:

End Goal for paint colors:

Last edited by ashman; 03-18-2013 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 02:33 AM   #13

Chassis is together got some pics up. Ball bearings installed, did the standard clearencing on the front hub carriers, installed the GPM aluminum steering, clearenced the two steering notches in the front skid, rounded off the front of the lower rear four link arms, mounted my axial servo arm drop links on the rear shocks, and just generally took off the low hanging fruit from the bottom that just isn't needed.

Started working on the body. Carved off the side marker lights, and carved out the offroad light mounts in the grill. I Also removed the CR-01 body mounts. Trimmed the spare tire cover to fit over the CR-01 rear bumper as well. Started sanding the molding lines. Soldered on replacements for the tamiya plugs.

Front Diff Locked

Front Skid Clearancing

My Axial servo horn drop links

Finished Chassis

Last edited by ashman; 03-23-2013 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Pics Added
Old 03-23-2013, 08:43 AM   #14

Bump I edited my last post, Pics are above.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Nice build, are you doing any thing to the fron suspension like you did to the rear?
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #16

Body Work

Old 03-26-2013, 03:43 AM   #17

Started working on the islander graphics. Absolute pain in the a**. We shall see. Drove it alot last night, the little thing is awesome. The 35T motor to me is perfect scale, yet still has torque, and punch power galore. Yes I was drifting across the living room tile, and cutting donuts like a teenager in a highschool parking lot. Probably gonna keep the tires and wheels for now and get some G-made RH-01 hubs to help the look a little.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:12 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Looks real good, love the Islander theme. great job on the paint!

you have ispired me to build another one I think
JBHardwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 12:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBHardwear View Post
Looks real good, love the Islander theme. great job on the paint!

you have ispired me to build another one I think
Thanks, JB

I like your mud and water pajero.

The islander theme, was in remembrance of a good friend and cousin.

Here are the final pics, the islander graphics aren't to 100% scale or a precise match but, they are good enough for me. If I had a better place to get supplies over here in Germany, they might have been better.

Last edited by ashman; 03-26-2013 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Love the graphics! Wasn't too set on your colour choice, but it all looks great now.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cc-01, cc01, jeep yj, wrangler

Jeep YJ CC-01 build ordered! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jeep scaler build and comp micro crawler build droopmodmrc Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 1 12-25-2012 12:34 PM
XR10 build with parts ordered spersky Axial XR10 2 07-05-2011 09:27 PM
another jeep tj build (and my first build thread) scorpion/king 2.2 Scale Rigs 5 12-18-2009 02:04 PM
Jeep build?(maybe) chino438 2.2 Scale Rigs 10 12-30-2006 01:56 PM