Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: CC01 Chevy Trailblazer....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default CC01 Chevy Trailblazer....

Long time lurker with few posts. Thought I'd share some pics of my CC01. Started life as the Touareg kit which I have had for a long time. I'm using a beat up proline chevy trailblazer body at present. Once I get finished with the chassis and electronics I'd like to get a D90 or Clod body for it. I'm a bit of a chevy fan, so the clod body would be fun...

The original 4 link mounts broke off the rear axle, so I had to come up with an alternative. Seems to work ok so far. I went back to the stock upper links until I can get some larger diameter ball ends for my custom ones. They bind a little.
Still need to chop the front brick, tweak on the shock mount location, and do something about the awful bump steer. Almost considering a servo relocate for that. Also shopping for some tires and wheels. Those are the high lift tires on it now, but I want some steelies and an as yet undecided set of tires with a softer compound. Recommendations welcome!

Last edited by 83GT; 10-21-2013 at 01:42 PM.
83GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: CC01 Chevy Trailblazer....

I know it's not much compared to most of the awesome builds here, but I have big plans for it! Sidewinder, castle link, and 60T motor showed up today. May still need a GRU. Next step is to sort out the steering. I think I'm going to forgo the servo relocate. I think the stock steering setup can be made to work well with some bearings and a custom bellcrank/rod setup. I'll get some pics once I figure out what I'm gonna do.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
RCC Addict

I like it! I think you should stick with that body too, it's different for one thing and it's a real life setup, independent in the front and axle in the rear. Get the gpm steering set up, use hex hardware instead and blue loctite, it works good.

Sent from the RAZR's edge
kincer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
I like it! I think you should stick with that body too, it's different for one thing and it's a real life setup, independent in the front and axle in the rear. Get the gpm steering set up, use hex hardware instead and blue loctite, it works good.

Thanks!

Can you elaborate on the hex hardware for the GPM kit? I have been reading on that kit and it seems a lot of people had a hard time with it. Thought about trying it, but I didn't want to buy something I'll end up not using.

Also having issues with the dog bones popping out after the front end lift. Tried o-rings, and they work ok but one will still pop out when I get it in a bind. Thinking of grabbing some CVDs.

I do like the Trailblazer shell. I bought it back when our 1:1 vehicle was a white 02 trailblazer. That was a fun truck! I need to do some detailing or something on it though. Maybe hack the bumpers and do chassis mounted bumpers....

Last edited by 83GT; 10-22-2013 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Switch out the Phillips hardware that comes with the kit and use hex head hardware of the same thread and length, you can torque it down better, steering kit works great when it's tight and stays tight with loctite. Try to find the Yeah Racing cvds they seem to be a bit better.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Sounds like a plan, Thanks! I've decided to hang onto the Trailblazer shell for a while. It's still in good shape. Instead of swapping I'll do some re-paint and detailing on it. Hard bumpers, maybe a styrene roof rack, tinted windows... Damn this obsession.

Here's the chassis with new electronics, sidewinder, 2s A123 (hiding under the receiver tray), BEC, 60T integy:

My supply of surplus A123's... LOL

Last edited by 83GT; 10-23-2013 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I managed to land myself in the hospital with a collapsed lung. I got out monday night, but I'm homebound for a bit. Since I been stuck at home all day, I started tinkering.

Shaved a bit off the steering arm on the knuckle and a bit more off the C-hub for even more steering throw. Seems to work pretty well. Notice the turnbuckle very nearly hits the arm when the knuckle stops against the c-hub:

Installed GPM steering and my new servo:

Chopped the front brick:

I never really liked the action of the TLT shocks. I thought about drilling holes through the rear wheel wells and mounting them higher, and I still might. For now I went back to the stock shocks, but made some drop links out of some old traxxas servo horns I had laying around:

This horn:

Reamed out with some drill bits to 3/16ths. Cut a small spacer from brass tubing, and trim the little cup off the top, gets me this:

And the end result:

And last but not least, during the composition of this post, the USPS man brought my new wheels and tires!!

I also learned something. I suck at drawing panel lines, lol! Now I just need my replacement trans gears to show up so I can test her out. I also have some yeah racing CVDs on the way.

Last edited by 83GT; 11-06-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:54 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

the wheel/tire combo looks good on it! and get well soon!!

Last edited by rc2008; 11-07-2013 at 08:57 PM.
rc2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:56 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Thanks! I got new trans gears and CVDs yesterday. Fastest order from hong kong ever! I got it all stitched up and out for a brief run yesterday. It did awesome! The new suspension setup seems to be an improvement, and the new tires are sweet. I was wishing for just a touch more torque. I think I will try moving up to 3s A123 and throw in an 80t motor.
Old 11-08-2013, 07:06 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Looks real good man the new wheels and tires are slick.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:48 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Thanks! I love the wheels and tires! I wish I were better with bodies. Going to try some chassis mounted HD style bumpers, inner fenders, etc. Something to make the lexan shell look a bit more substantial. I might use some dark tint or black paint on the windows as well.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk
Old 11-09-2013, 01:30 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Couple backyard action shots:

It does surprisingly well! Lacks just a bit of torque. I think the integy 65t on 6.6v 2s A123 is just not quite enough oomph. I would just volt up, but the wheel speed is good as it is. I don't really want it much faster. I was planning on a using a higher wind and then 3s, but I got different advice in the electronics section. A quality 55t on 3s, and go easy on the throttle, lol. I will add a GRU if necessary. I understand the higher turn motors like 80t just don't make enough power.
Old 11-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I like the backyard, I think the same thing about the tq. I am planning on a 2:1 reduction box and a 55t motor on 3s. Currently running a 55t on 7cell nimh.
lonleycreeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 04:19 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Lookin good man! I may pick up another one of these, I kinda miss mine.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

The CC01 is just so much fun to work on, and pretty darn fun to drive too. It's got so much potential, there's always just that little more you can get.

Mocked up a front bumper. I plan on doin it out of thin gauge steel, welded. Mockup is cardboad with electrical tape holding it togther:

Captures the basic idea. Rough steel appearance, winch on top, one piece with metal skid.
Old 11-11-2013, 11:52 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Made one out of thin metal. Didn't turn out like I wanted. Going to try some brake line or something and do a tube style. Dang YR CVDs didn't last long....

Old 11-11-2013, 11:56 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Wow, that's surprising, you can fix that though, get piano wire and make new pins with that.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

i want that body!!!! to match my 1:1
Arnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kincer View Post
Wow, that's surprising, you can fix that though, get piano wire and make new pins with that.

I cut a small steel screwdriver shaft for a replacement pin. So far, so good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnel View Post
i want that body!!!! to match my 1:1
I originally picked this body up to match our 1:1 truck at the time. Traded the trailblazer in a couple years ago for something with better gas mileage, and I still miss it! Great little truck!
Old 11-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

Looking good man! I don't think I've ever seen that body before, but I love it for being different!

I liked our rear shock idea. My jeep cc01 needs a bit more droop set up and I might just have to borrow your idea! Lol I have the same 1.55's off my trailfinder on my cc01 like yours. They work great and look good too!

I'm also tying with the idea of a gru. I'm running an hpi 55t that was in it when I bought it and like you I'm satisfied with wheel speed but needs more bottom end grunt.

I hope your feeling better and enjoying your time to tinker with the truck. If your like me, it's never ending and is always fun! Haha I'm gonna keep an eye on this build, keep up the great work buddy!
Kykrawler is offline   Reply With Quote

CC01 Chevy Trailblazer.... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
chevy trailblazer body? 2brokefor1:1 Paint and Body 8 11-15-2009 09:56 PM
Anyone own a Chevy TrailBlazer? NickRummy Chit Chat 35 11-25-2008 10:47 PM
** MSD Toyota Trailblazer ** slobin3d 1.9 Scale Rigs 40 07-06-2008 09:07 PM