Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: cc01 flex?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default cc01 flex?

How are you guys getting some extra flex out of these chassis? I have a 4 link suspension in the back and angled the shocks, Its riding on 1.9's. I have stock shocks in the front and some old traxxas shocks in the rear, I think there were from the front end of an old bandit.
cguit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: cc01 flex?

I thought this was a pretty cool mod.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4RpowVSsak://
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:53 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
I thought this was a pretty cool mod.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4RpowVSsak://

I like that mod. If you have extra shocks laying around. You can check how I got more droop on mine in my thread on this same page. There's lots of different ways to do it just depending on which route you want to go. Looking through some of the build threads on here will help a lot with ideas.
83GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:15 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Look for the "magic link" mod. Tamiya makes their own version, but why spend $30 when you likely have the bits lying around to do it for free?
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Was trying to avoid the shackle mod thing, I have noticed that the link ends prevent the entire axel from dropping lower. Im thinking maybe 12 degree bend ends on the links will allow a lower drop on the axel.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:52 PM   #6

i have the tamiya links. i dont have the luxury of having a box of spare parts so spending the coin for an engineered part desinged to min/max the limits of the kit made the most sense to me. people spend more for less funtional/cosmetic pieces.
ej25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 08:04 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

In stock form, the shocks are the limiting factor in the rear. Even the stock links will droop much further than that shocks allow at full extension. Drop links are a cheap easy fix that you can even rig up with junk from your local hardware store. I've seen it done with links from bicycle chains, little angle aluminum pieces, just about anything you can think of. I used servo horns. Shocks with longer travel will also solve the problem, but you also have to come up with alternate mounting locations for the longer shock. For replacement links, threaded rod and ball ends work great. You can bend the links or angle the ends if you like, but without more shock travel it won't help much in the way of flex.
Old 11-13-2013, 07:05 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

eh I have the Tamiya links as well, they are all twisted from use. This was a freebee donated to me in pieces and I think its from the late 80's or early 90's as it had a mechanical speed control. So I really didn't spend much on it. also a 4 link suspension is always a good thing.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Free is always good! The stock links are pretty flimsy. One of the first things I did was replace them with some threaded rod inside brass tubing. That has worked pretty well and was very cheap compared to buying aluminum links. I used some 100mm TLT shocks in the rear for a while, but I had to angle them too much to get the ride height correct, and the shock action was not as smooth as I wanted. I went back to the stock shocks with homemade drop links. Blackfoots CC01 build thread has some good cheap/free mods in it.

Blackfoots CC01 Project with Some simple DIY Mods
Old 11-14-2013, 03:05 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Ej25 - Wasn't picking on you, but most people do have a few spare pieces hanging around. Even if you didn't, buying the bits would run maybe 3 bucks...5 if you bought new screws.
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote

cc01 flex? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's your flex? MonsterAnt Axial Wraith 1 01-18-2013 10:09 PM
how to flex like this??? RootBreaker Axial AX-10 Scorpion 12 12-19-2012 08:42 PM
Now that's some flex Mayhem Eng. Chit Chat 2 11-10-2011 09:01 AM
twice as much flex..... kmiles1712 Axial SCX-10 7 07-31-2010 07:13 AM