Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Tamiya Ford Ranger CC01 (aka LandFreeder) Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #1

Default Tamiya Ford Ranger CC01 (aka LandFreeder) Build

Tamiya Ford Ranger CC01 (aka LandFreeder) Build

Recently picked up one of the Tamiya LandFreeder CC01 kits and here's my version of it. Everybody knows it's really a Ford Ranger pickup body but I guess no licensing fees from Ford meant Tamiya had to give it another name, but why oh why that rubbish LandFreeder name. I could see it maybe if the body was a Land Rover clone.

Not much to say about the CC01 chassis really as probably everybody has one or has had one. I didn't do much to it other than fit a GPM steering kit and 4 link kit and used a HD Futaba servo that I already had. The motor is an Etronix tuned 50t. Good torque and decent speed as well. I'd highly recommend this motor to anyone with a CC01 as it's pretty cheap but still reasonable quality.

I got a set of the Absima (formerly Ansmann) Steelhammer 96mm crawler tyre & wheel sets. Boiled the tyres off the rims and fitted them to the kit rims and used a set of soft Losi foams. Biggest improvement you can make to these tyres as the standard foams are way to hard. So much more grip now!

I thought the chrome roll bar looked cheap so I de-chromed it and painted it satin black. The lights are a Fastrax set with roll bar and I cut the roll bar part off and just kept the mounting plate and lights which fitted the top of the Tamiya roll bar perfectly. Easy job too.

At the front I used one of the new RadshapeRC CC01 Bull Bars and one of their skid plates. Only problem with the Bull Bar was the mounting tabs meant it fitted too low so I cut the tabs off and bolted the Bull Bar side plates side directly to the chassis sides. Just need to drill four holes and use some washers as spacers. Real solid and fits in just the right position now and yes just enough clearance for the body to lift straight off. If anyone wants more info I'll post details.

The body colours are Tamiya Dark Blue Metallic and Bright Silver with a red/orange stripe in-between. I'll really happy with the way it all came out. Only thing wrong with it now is it's too clean. but I'll soon fix that!

John

PS
I have one of the new Pro-Line Ford F100 Stampede body shells on backorder and was intending to replace the stock body with it but it's turned out so well the stock body is staying!!! I suppose I'll have to find something else to stick the F100 body on when it eventually arrives.
Attached Images

johninderby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2013, 04:19 PM   #2

Default Re: Tamiya Ford Ranger CC01 (aka LandFreeder) Build

Wow, it looks great!
TheBlueKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 05:13 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I know right
TrilloThrillo110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 08:51 PM   #4

great job on the truck....I have the same build go right now....what is the front bumper you used and also how did you get the chrome off of the roll bar....
sutman9872 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 11:08 PM   #5

The front bumper is from:
Tamiya CC-01 Bull Bar with Winch Plate

It would fit fine as is if fitted to aomething like a wrangler but with the raised LandFreeder body it needed to fit higher, which is why I cut the mountng tabs off so that I could bolt it directly to the sides of the front of the chassis. I'll take some detail photos of exactly what I did.

I tried removing the chrome from the roll bar using oven cleaner but it didn't seem to do much, guess I needed something stonger. However just five minutes with a wire wool dish scouring pad polished the chrome off so it was fit to be primed and then painted.

John
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2013, 12:14 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

That body is Lexan right?
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:37 AM   #7

Yes it is clear lexan (polycarbonate). Typical Tamiya quality and here's a pic I took of the body.

John
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2013, 07:01 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Really looks great - very nice job on the body.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 09:53 AM   #9

ya I like those colors!
chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:13 PM   #10

Im getting my CC01 here in a few weeks I really wanted a cheap scale rig to play around with. My question is did you have to extend the suspension to get those 96mm tires and body to fit? I cant tell if its just the look of the metal links in the rear versus the stock flat plastic ones or if you raised the travel up to make everything clear?
Big Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 01:27 PM   #11

Didn't really raise it up as such. Just fitted 75mm shocks all round with the GPM links and shock mounts. The GPM rear shock mounts do raise the lower shock mounting points up slightly however so there is a small lift.

As the body fits on standard body mounts you can adjust the body height on the chassis a bit if you need more clearance.

See one of my other CC-01 builds here where I made up my own links and shock mounts.

1966 Ford F100 Body (Pro-Line) on CC-01 Chassis

John

Last edited by johninderby; 03-28-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:31 PM   #12

Thanks for the replyI I cant wait to start building mine in the next few weeks here
Big Ant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 12:24 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

nice color choice!
pantablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 01:30 PM   #14
wyd
Rock Crawler

Really looks awesome.
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tamiya Ford Ranger CC01 (aka LandFreeder) Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya CC-01 Landfreeder Build Thread (Build Complete) TheBlueKnight Tamiya XC/CC01 29 11-24-2014 11:21 AM
Ford ranger micro build kenworthit Micro Scale Rigs 91 12-03-2013 09:14 PM
The Tamiya LANDFREEDER is coming, and I'm going to tow it with my 100% BOON TRACTOR. rbgerrish Chit Chat 6 05-22-2013 08:59 PM
Tamiya Ford Ranger CaptainSafety Tamiya TLT Crawlers 15 04-03-2005 11:13 AM