Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Noisey gears

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2014, 08:36 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Noisey gears

Needs some advice from you guys.

My Jeep CC01 is the loudest sounding CC01 I've ever heard. It's old, and I've beaten it pretty hard, but I compare it to my mates CC01 of similar age, and mine is terrible.

I've opened it up, but see nothing that could cause it. The top cover has seen better days, so I ordered a new one. Got a brand new 16 tooth pinion, cause the original was badly worn. But it is still noisey.

Any advice?
Louisbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2014, 12:18 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Noisey gears

Did you get a metric or .06 mod pinion? The cc01 doesn't use ordinary 48 pitch gears.
gr33nlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 01:57 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Agreed, the standard pitch pinion is a common culprit. Tamiya uses metric.

If it clicks, there's usually dirt stuck in one of the gears, or the screws that hold down the trans cover are no longer holding.

If it's just loud, no idea really. Have one of mine that's for sure louder than the others - not sure if it's just a bit of runout in the gears of what.

If the gears aren't worn out, I'd say pull them all out, give them a nice bath and scrub (especially the gear faces - toothbrush comes in handy) and a little bit of grease during reassembly. Be sure to clean the loose and built up grease inside the chassis while it's open, especially the front diff pocket. If it's been in water or muck, it collects there somewhat. Give the bearings a good cleaning at the same time. That little 5x8 in front of the spur tends to wear out well before the 5x11's fail.

If nothing else, it's all good maintenance.

Also, I'm sure you know the gear cover mod - I drill all mine out with 3mm bits and pass longer machine screws into the chassis and nut them from the bottom. Or at the very least use machine screws to fasten the cover down.

My old XC chassis is still going,for more years than I want to think about. Still fairly quiet too, those nylon gears last a long time.

Last edited by OSRC; 01-28-2014 at 02:01 PM.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 02:11 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Agreed, the standard pitch pinion is a common culprit. Tamiya uses metric.

If it clicks, there's usually dirt stuck in one of the gears, or the screws that hold down the trans cover are no longer holding.

If it's just loud, no idea really. Have one of mine that's for sure louder than the others - not sure if it's just a bit of runout in the gears of what.

If the gears aren't worn out, I'd say pull them all out, give them a nice bath and scrub (especially the gear faces - toothbrush comes in handy) and a little bit of grease during reassembly. Be sure to clean the loose and built up grease inside the chassis while it's open, especially the front diff pocket. If it's been in water or muck, it collects there somewhat. Give the bearings a good cleaning at the same time. That little 5x8 in front of the spur tends to wear out well before the 5x11's fail.

If nothing else, it's all good maintenance.

Also, I'm sure you know the gear cover mod - I drill all mine out with 3mm bits and pass longer machine screws into the chassis and nut them from the bottom. Or at the very least use machine screws to fasten the cover down.

My old XC chassis is still going,for more years than I want to think about. Still fairly quiet too, those nylon gears last a long time.
Thanks, I'll strip it down, clean the gears, and take pics and show you guys. Pinion is Tamiya.
Louisbaby is offline   Reply With Quote

Noisey gears - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LNC noisey motor therockfrog Team Losi Comp Crawler 6 04-28-2010 06:35 PM
Why is my Hobbico CS-170 so noisey?!?!? merlcrawl Electronics 18 01-06-2010 08:13 PM
Tamiya Pajero noisey gearbox steben Newbie General 1 08-25-2009 01:16 AM
lathe motor noisey when running backwards, normal? newth Electronics 2 11-17-2005 09:13 AM