Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: My first CC01 build...who knows where this one will go.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2014, 05:57 PM   #21
wyd
Rock Crawler

Default Re: My first CC01 build...who knows where this one will go.

I just got a new set of the Hot Bodies Rovers in the 1.9 and they are small at 3.7 inch. When I get my CC-01 this is the tires I plan on using. They are super sticky and soft. Mounted on Proline Denali 1.9 rims.

Here is a picture beside my new Super Swamper TSL XL tires.
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2014, 08:27 PM   #22
RCC Addict

Thanks for the tire input man. I'm an MRC guy though, I've got Rovers, and they are nowhere near scale in the looks department. I'm not even really looking for tires and not sure how the thread went that way. The Swampers are staying till I have the cash for 1.55s and something scale and sticky. Mud Thrashers being the top choice, as stated at the start of the thread.

I am curious though, about Pajero specific body mods.

Anybody got a good thread on removing the rear bumper? Maybe a tutorial on a snorkel fab and install? I will be soon tackling the rear of this rig, and am not liking the "empty" look after cutting the rear bumper off. Thinking I may have to bust out the styrene and super glue to add some faux sheetmetal under the rear quarter panels, as you would see if you removed the bumper on the 1:1 rig.

Also thinking Axial SCX10 sliders will find their way under the rear as a bumper, and another pair on the sides for sliders to keep the weight down. Originally I had wanted steel bumpers, but Axial made it so cheap and easy. Not to mention the durability and lighter weight of the plastic goods...
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:32 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Forgot to mention, working on a scale core support/radiator now. Ought to be easily visible through the grill for a little more scale goodness. Will hang off the new bumper mount I fab'd and, hopefully, hide it and the CC01 front wheel tubs.
Old 03-02-2014, 05:09 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Skid finished...

Old 03-02-2014, 10:37 PM   #25
Pebble Pounder

Ranger that looks great!
fourxfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:27 AM   #26
RCC Addict

Thanks man! False core support and radiator coming to fill in the front a little more. Gotta get some more styrene first. I was planning on inner fender skirts to kinda seal in the wheel wells as well, but it looks like a major PITA. Pics will have to be taken at an angle that doesn't reveal the gap...oh darn.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:23 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
Anybody got a good thread on removing the rear bumper?
I'm just here to spew CC random knowledge. Love these little rigs. I don't have a great pic of it, but I hacked the rear bumper off one of mine. Right below the taillights, basically, I sliced all the lower cladding off. Left the body mounts there though.
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps437d0a00.jpg

Didn't mount it back on the CC chassis, it's sitting on TLT's at the moment. Agree it would look a bit empty back there without it.

Depending on how you cut it, you may need new body mounts - an L bracket across the back and some axial posts works very well. Can then move the mounts wherever you need to.
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps4b2667c8.jpg

Skid looks great! Have to say I really like how those Vaterra tires look under there - just picked up a set actually to try them out. It's tough to fit tires under these bodies - I'm running rock creepers now on 1.9's which required some fender clearance, and 1.55 mud thrashers on my others. Perfect size.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:57 AM   #28
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I'm just here to spew CC random knowledge. Love these little rigs. I don't have a great pic of it, but I hacked the rear bumper off one of mine. Right below the taillights, basically, I sliced all the lower cladding off. Left the body mounts there though.
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps437d0a00.jpg

Didn't mount it back on the CC chassis, it's sitting on TLT's at the moment. Agree it would look a bit empty back there without it.

Depending on how you cut it, you may need new body mounts - an L bracket across the back and some axial posts works very well. Can then move the mounts wherever you need to.
http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps4b2667c8.jpg

Skid looks great! Have to say I really like how those Vaterra tires look under there - just picked up a set actually to try them out. It's tough to fit tires under these bodies - I'm running rock creepers now on 1.9's which required some fender clearance, and 1.55 mud thrashers on my others. Perfect size.
Thanks for the input man! I'm actually thinking of constructing false "quarter panels" for the rear of the body after removing the bumper. For whatever reason, I just can't handle the "emptiness" in the look of the rear of the truck. Here are a few examples of a 1:1 rig's quarter panels for an idea.

Dead on rear view. Not much below the tailgate, the quarter panels on the 1:1 fill the sides. Should be easy enough with a little styrene.

As for body mounts, they are staying right where they are. As of the moment, I have 0 body lift, and couldn't be happier about it. For the front, I'm running Axial SCX10 posts, upside down, fat end through the tub. Works great. Really trying to save any body lift for down the road. I still have one more step up I can go on tire size that way.

Also, the Vaterra Swampers... Keep us updated on them. Depending on how these work once I have the rig running, I may just leave them. If not, you got it on the 1.55 Mud Thrashers, they're next in line. I pretty much figure anything under 90mm will fit WITHOUT lift and with a little trimming, 95mm with suspension lift and trimming, or larger with suspension+body lift+trimming. Small fenders!

I am curious though, any of you guys running wheel weight? If so, how much?

Last edited by 89redranger; 03-03-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:35 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

3oz front and rear in my 1.9 Jero, 2/1oz F/R in my others - not as much room to stuff it in there with a 1.55 wheel.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 02:23 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Robinson Racing pinions ordered. 2x RRP1120 (20T), 1x RRP1116 (16T). Hoping to get this thing set up proper in the next few days. I've ran a pack through it so far, but the incorrect gear mesh was quickly apparent. Darn, guess you can't run a 16T pinion in the 20T motor position. Luckily, no spur gears were harmed in my moment of impatience. I know, shame on me... I just couldn't help myself.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:47 PM   #31
RCC Addict

Pinions are here, got one of the 20T units installed! Ah yeah, running chassis...

Too bad I still got all that water proofing, bodywork, lighting, rock armor, a roof rack, and a core support/radiator to finish. Boo hoo...I wanna go play in the rain!
Old 03-06-2014, 05:35 PM   #32
Pebble Pounder

I like The bumper on there. Trucks looking good all around. Im still finishing the body for mine.
jh1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2014, 09:39 PM   #33
RCC Addict

I'm just getting started on bodywork now. Shot it with a light coat of primer about 10 minutes ago, will use it as a guide for a little putty and sand paper work.

BTW, thanks for the compliments!
Old 03-21-2014, 06:10 PM   #34
RCC Addict

Sold!

My first CC01 build...who knows where this one will go. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Kit Build Ever,CC01 The DC Tamiya XC/CC01 17 11-08-2013 11:12 AM
my cc01 insomnia build Absurd Tamiya XC/CC01 3 10-13-2013 10:12 PM
My first cc01 build Takleberry Tamiya XC/CC01 27 05-10-2013 03:35 PM
cc01 snowboarder build ttown180 Tamiya XC/CC01 41 01-29-2010 10:44 AM
CC01 Tundra build mrklaw Tamiya XC/CC01 27 12-02-2009 07:28 AM