Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: My first CC01 build...who knows where this one will go.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2014, 12:53 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default My first CC01 build...who knows where this one will go.

Alright guys, starting a new build here. A definite first for me. Or, a series of firsts really.

1st Tamiya, I'm an MRC guy. Never touched a Tamiya, though I've built 20+ Losi/Losi based rigs.

1st scale build. Once again, I'm an MRC guy. Played with scale micro builds, but even they aren't anything to brag about.

1st 1/10th rig.

I've still got a few days till the rig and parts start showing up, but here's what I've ordered thus far-

Tamiya CC01 Pajero
Axial AE-2 ESC (cheap and 3s capable with a BEC)
Airtronics MX-Sport 3ch. (old radio from MRC comper)
Hitec HS-5646WP (X2, already had them...one steering, one winch, steering on BEC@7.2V, winch on HeyOK relay style controller after radio upgrade)
Zippy 2s 25c 4000s (x3, long trail runs)
GPM knuckles
GPM c hubs
GPM steering kit
GPM billet servo mount (X2, one for steering servo, one for servo winch in mechanical speed controller location)
GPM universal front shafts
GPM hexes
Boom Racing rubber sealed bearing kit (Asiatees had it for $12 when I ordered the rest of the GPM crap)
Junfac 4 Link Kit (most likely won't be much left after I get through with it)
Junfac rear driveshaft
HPI WK GRU

Still much more ahead. As soon as the truck is a roller with all this stuff I will start the real hacking. My plans include, removing the front brick, trimming the battery tray for the motor and 90* battery flip after the GRU, heavy trimming in the fenders, removing bumpers and replacing them with tube, adding sliders, and removing anything else that looks better in the trash.

As you can see, I left a shock set off the first round of goods. Shooting for longer travel, a little lift, and most of the same stuff you guys have seen in the past. Not looking to break records or win awards. Just wanted something unique AND capable that may have a chance of keeping up with the Axial guys.

Will also pull double duty as the tow rig for our family of MRCs. They look good as a small single seat comp buggy behind the Tamiya rigs.

Last edited by 89redranger; 02-15-2014 at 09:58 PM.
89redranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2014, 01:37 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: My first CC01 build...who knows where this one will go.

Also picked up a loaner set of Vaterra Slickrock Swamper take-offs. They are the harder non-G8 compound, but WAAAY better than Tamiya bricks. In the next month or so these will go back to their owner, and I will be replacing them with 5X RC4WD 1.55 black steelies and 1.55 Rock Crusher X/T's. For the time being, the Slickrock Swampers are the EXACT same size and will work just fine.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:34 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Im subscribed
jh1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 10:59 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Thanks man! Parts and kit will be here in the AM. Gotta get the chassis assembled with hop-ups right off the get-go, start working on my lift, and then get to modding the body to fit. At this point I'm debating whipping up my bumpers, sliders, and roof rack from 3/32", 1/8", and 3/16" brass and silver solder. No welder, my torch isn't hot enough to braze, and I almost like the sounds of possible carnage as a reward for stupid driving. Not saying I plan on taking it easy on this rig, just like the idea of real carnage.
Old 02-21-2014, 11:12 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Alright guys, made some progress. Got the kit assembled with all the extras. Electronics are just mounted for mockup and will change again.

Home brew servo mount front lift and rock light bezels.

GPM knuckles and C's. Great products! Wish I could say the same for their universals. They went in the tool box as spares. They only have about 20 smooth degrees of travel due to bindung in the joint ears. As well as the binding, the pins through the joints look like cut up paper clips. Crap quality! Stock dogbones retained with an o-ring at either end to keep them centered.

38mm ground clearance on a 3.75" tire ain't bad! Somewhere around 1/4" lift all around with stock shocks.

Shaved belly plate for steering linkage clearance. There's more shaved for clearance than you can see.

Junfac 4 link and driveshaft. The belly plate was crap and killed ground clearance, so I pitched it. A new low-pro tray will be fab'd soon enough.

Upper links spaced down for better squat/anti squat values.

As soon as I move the lowers up to the sides of the chassis (tub?), I will remove the spacers to retain the geometry while raising it.

MASSIVELY shaved the HPI gear reduction unit forbservo clearance in the 20t pinion position. Still need to find a steel 20t pinion.

Shaved top plate for GRU clearance. This is why I didn't want to run the GRU with a 16T pinion. If I were to use that position I would've had to notch a hole in the top plate and opening up the plastic gears to contamination. I really wanted to keep everything all sealed up with no open holes.

Now, on to body work. Fenders trimmed, just need to trim the rear bumper yet.

Not bad for stock length shocks!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2014, 11:28 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Also worth noting, the GPM steering kit is an awesome piece. Regardless of the quality, I did go ahead and JB-Weld the bottom arm onto the post, as well as using loctite on the upper end. I have also switched out the GPM hardware for 3x12 stainless button heads top and bottom. While I was at it, I went ahead and swapped the screw that mounts the other arm to the chassis with a 3x15 stainless button head as well. If you decide to go this route, take the top cover off and all the gears out so you can watch how deep the new screw goes. Anything longer than a 15mm long screw WILL go right into the transmission gears!

Next on the list, swapping the rest of the Tamiya/Junfac/GPM hardware on the rig for the stainless button heads. I will also be through-bolt and nutting the top gear case cover.

I've built 20+ RCs in my time, but NEVER have I had so much fun building and modding a rig! This will NOT be my last CC01!

Last edited by 89redranger; 02-22-2014 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:13 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

looking good. got mine today. gonna get started.
jh1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 10:45 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Brick removed! Capped and filled with a piece of the stock brick and JB Weld. Now, gotta fab a front skid/body mount to replace all the original plastic.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:54 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Lower links have been moved up the chassis to the sides of the "chassis." Tons of ground clearance now! Time to start building skids, sliders, and bumpers I guess...

Old 02-24-2014, 07:09 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Wouldn't sweat the 16t pinion - think you'll want that 20t anyway. I like scale speeds myself, but's it's way, way slow with the HPI GRU. I like it personally, but I can't bring mine on trail runs.

Looking good BTW!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:03 AM   #11
RCC Addict

I started this knowing I wan't using the stock pinion. The HPI unit is a little on the slow side, but seems about perfect for what I want. If I do decide I want a little speed I can pull out the GRU and swap it for a 55t in a few minutes, though I doubt I will. Now, to find a steel 20t...

Old 02-27-2014, 03:26 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Finally, some more hacking! Oh yeah, and a little progress. Here are a few pics of the new setup. Not happy about having to use the body posts up front, but the rest is worth it...

Axial G6 kit front bumper mounted on a home-brew 1/8" aluminum mount, and ready for a skid plate.

Inside view of the mount. Just drilled the body post type Axial bumpers for M3s, screwed through the plate and into the posts.

Outside view. The chunk of aluminum below the chassis is a spacer to drop my skid level with the bottom of the plastic stocker. Also a home fab'd piece. No more catch point transitioning from skid plate to the plastic skid.

Note, M3x20 screwed into Axial bumper LENGTHWISE through the original Axial set screw holes. The long screw length makes it plenty rigid. The holes were drilled under-sized for a good bite in the plastic. It's not moving!

This is the nut for the aluminum plate the bumper bolts to. Not the most structurally sound location, but acceptable with BIG washers to spread the load. As a matter of fact, this bumper is already sturdier than in the Axial configuration. Once I add a skid plate from this bumper to the chassis, it will all be tied together as one rigid piece.

Rear next!

Old 02-27-2014, 06:46 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89redranger View Post
This is the nut for the aluminum plate the bumper bolts to. Not the most structurally sound location, but acceptable with BIG washers to spread the load.
That's where I tie my skids to - never had an issue. With that thick alu plate, you'll be golden.

Looking good - keep them coming!
Old 02-27-2014, 09:29 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Thanks man! I used 1/8" for the bracket, 1/8" for the spacer below the chassis, and the front skid will be 1/16" so that it WILL pick up dents and dings. I kinda dig the beat up raisin trail truck look. The thick brackets ensure that my chassis/tub stays intact and square, even after I beat up the fr ont skid plate. When it really starts getting beat up it will minimize the amount of parts I have to replace to clean it up again.

Old 02-27-2014, 01:53 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Very clean work so far. I love the swampers on there, they are very aggressive like the rest of the rig.
MattTheGenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 01:57 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Thanks man! More coming. The tires/wheels are take-off Vaterra Slick rock units. Not the greatest grip ever, and I'm not peeling them to add weight, but they work for now. After getting used to them I wanna find a sticky set. Finding them around this height in a sticky compound is a little tuff. I believe the Proline G8 swampers are taller by quite a bit.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:52 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I'm currently running the smaller g8 tsls on mine, they are listed as 109mm tall and your vaterras are just over 95mm tall. They aren't the most scale size in the world but man they stick to everything.
MattTheGenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 03:30 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Yeah, I'm pretty well set on this tire size. If I went any taller than what I'm running I'd have to get further into the fenders or add body lift. Neither of which are routes I want to take. As it is, I've got a scale 38" tire under a Pajero with about 4-5" of lift.

Old 02-28-2014, 03:17 AM   #19
RCC Addict

So, who's got knowledge of CC01 pinions? I need to order a 20t in order to match the GRU's position, but am finding conflicting stories here.

First off, Tamiya lists the pinion as an AV pinion set everywhere online, yet in the instructions they say it is a metric 48P gear. No problem, I can get them anywhere from the looks of things.

Secondly, I keep finding in forums that the correct gear is a 20T mod 0.6. Same story, I can get them anywhere.

Thridly, WTH is a "metric" 48p pinion??? I understand what the pitch numbers mean, but the last time I checked, metric gears were identified by the "mod 0.*" designation.

So guys, what steel pinion do I use? I'm kinda lost, but need to get this sorted out. I've found references to a Robinson Racing RRP1120, but am not ordering without confirmation.

In the meantime, I got a BEC for the steering servo yesterday, and I got body work to keep me busy.
Old 02-28-2014, 07:16 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Metric pinion it is, and 1120 is the correct one.

My first CC01 build...who knows where this one will go. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Kit Build Ever,CC01 The DC Tamiya XC/CC01 17 11-08-2013 11:12 AM
my cc01 insomnia build Absurd Tamiya XC/CC01 3 10-13-2013 10:12 PM
My first cc01 build Takleberry Tamiya XC/CC01 27 05-10-2013 03:35 PM
cc01 snowboarder build ttown180 Tamiya XC/CC01 41 01-29-2010 10:44 AM
CC01 Tundra build mrklaw Tamiya XC/CC01 27 12-02-2009 07:28 AM