Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Wife and I getting into the CC01 crawling scene

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2014, 05:36 PM   #1

Default Wife and I getting into the CC01 crawling scene

My wife and I are getting into the crawling scene. We have done it with 1:1 scale 4wd's in the past. We come from the 2wd Associated buggy realm, she has a RC10B3 and I have one of the original RC10 gold pan buggies that I have restored and mostly retired. I run it from time to time, but no huge jumps ect any more. I just bought a Pajero kit and she is getting a Jeep Wrangler kit. I plan to give mine the Aussie look. I saw a post here where the owner used original Mitsubishi colors even, added Aussie looking mud flaps ect but I cant find the post now. Stumbled on it during a google search. Was a blue/silver two tone paint job and looked darn good! We plan to build for mostly trail running, water proof for water and mud ect. While we wait for our kits to show up in the mail, here is a pic of my Original RC10 gold pan, it is not a reissue. Was purchased new in 1985 from Kokomo hobby and raceway. While my original one I had as a kid was sold to help buy my first real car, thru a good friend I was given his that had slept in his attic for decades. I restored her to what mine looked like, including the professionaly painted "box art" body. I am still catching up on the CC01 tips, tricks and inspirational pictures!
Cheers Mike and Michele P.S. I do have the correct knobby tires for the RC10, she had her carpet tires on for the pic that day.
M&MRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2014, 06:39 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Wife and I getting into the CC01 crawling scene

Welcome to RCC...
The CC01 is a great little rig, and can be made better with a couple of upgrades. The rear links, bearings and steering upgrades should be the first things you modify, (if you are building them that is a great thing to build into them). After that it really depends on how much performance you want out of it. 55t motor or higher t, or a G.R.U. (gear reduction unit) will give it more tq, as it is geared like a off road racer(really high for a trail truck).Locked diff's decrease your turning, but really make it climb like a goat. Bigger softer tires will help on the trail and rocks, as will a lift. Just like the 1:1 world, it is a bunch of compromise's depending on what you want.
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:48 PM   #3

I plan to lock the rear diff but leave the front open to ease turning on pavement. My friend I got the RC10 from has an Wraith crawler thats waiting for a 2 speed transmission mod to be done. Its a bit to jumpy for slow crawling. Fun to play with though. I hope to find a full size older Montero to wheel as well, and take the RC ones to play with when taking a lunch break! We live close to a nice offroad park, used to take our Jeep CJ5 there. Been without a rig to wheel for awhile now, trying to change that, atleast on a small scale this year. One thing I havent seen talked about in some scale crawlers is sound. Sound is all the rage in my model railroad hobby, espicaly my outdoor G scale stuff. I would love to hear the sound of a small diesel idling and reving up in my Euro spec Pajero while I trail run. Just loud enough to hear if your standing right by it. Havent seen anything to accomplish that idea yet. Mike and Michele. P.S. We love this site, lots of good pics and ideas

Last edited by M&MRC; 05-13-2014 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:44 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Sound units, Tamiya Mfu is the best =pricy and, "Ram" unit, I don't know if they are still around.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:24 PM   #5

The first of our 2 kits has arrived, my wife's Jeep Wrangler has arrived and my Pajero should be here on Saturday. Not gonna start chassis building till the bearing sets arrive. I know what color I am painting mine, hers is still being discussed, both will be in correct factory colors. She is leaning toward the dark metalic green with a black hard top(although I prefer the tan), mine will be a light blue with silver lower panels/fender flairs. Stay tuned. Mike and Michele
Old 05-18-2014, 03:22 PM   #6

Pics coming later this evening, I got both chassis built up, mine was missing the tires so I am waiting on the seller to find them or credit me some $$ so I can buy some from RC4wd. Drove my wife's chassis around, has old 27mhz AM radio gear in it for now till she gets a newer set up. Runs excellent and I do see why folks say to go to a 55T motor. She doesnt like the gold rims, looking at black wagon wheels with mud thrasher tires. We painted it yellow, kind of going for the Islander series look on it. Got my body painted as well. Stay tuned for pics. Mike
Old 05-20-2014, 06:03 PM   #7

Pics of both shells in the painting process. Mike
Old 05-20-2014, 07:45 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I really like the color choices.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:50 PM   #9

Love the his and hers rigs. Any updates?
ferdinandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Wife and I getting into the CC01 crawling scene - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crawling scene in LA / Santa Monica? J.DUKE California 3 11-11-2012 11:22 AM
new to the crawling scene! rccherocon Washington 15 02-28-2011 05:59 PM
new to the crawling scene rccherocon Redcat Crawlers 13 01-26-2010 08:19 AM
Getting back to the Crawling scene. ToTheMAXXcrawler Tamiya Clod Buster 5 05-20-2009 12:11 AM
New to the crawling scene. Pete720 HPI Wheely King 10 02-23-2009 10:13 AM