Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Super Cheap eBay Shocks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2014, 12:57 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Super Cheap eBay Shocks

Has anyone tried these mega cheap 100mm shocks or heard anything about them? I've been doing some shopping for shocks, as I'm looking for a little more travel. I've mostly been looking at Axial and Traxxas take offs, but then I spotted these things. I'm still running stock CC01 shocks and they hold up really well to the kind of trailing I do, so I'm thinking cheap shocks would probably be okay. Problem is, I can't even tell if these things are real shocks or just "spring holders". Anyway, let me know if you have any experience at all with these things. Thanks!

EDIT: Or would I be better off with some 85mm shocks? Found some almost as cheap!

6633 100mm 1 10 Shock Absorbers Suitable FOR CAR Monster Trucks AND RC Buggy TR | eBay

Last edited by monkeyracing; 05-23-2014 at 01:22 AM.
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2014, 05:52 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Super Cheap eBay Shocks

17mm diameter seem a bit too much for a CC

I bought a set of very cheap shocks once, and they are cheap for a reason. Either leaking, not smooth enough, ... In my case, I spend half a day to try to get all 4 shocks to work equally smooth. I gave up eventually and bought Proline shocks
aircooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:08 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Worse than the stock ones? Mine are getting damn sticky! You may be right about the diameter. Seems big.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:52 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I'm always surprised how good the Tamiya shocks are, compared to others in the same price range. And, I never fill the ones in a CC up with oil, just use a couple of drops to keep them smooth.
My CC are always pretty slow, more damping than the o-rings provide is not really necessary.
aircooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 02:29 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Wow. I'm running something around 55wt, as I figured the weird piston design needed a heavy hand to control it. You're right about the quality of most Tamiya plastic dampers. I'm running a set on one of my M chassis race cars and find them every bit as good as the allot TRF versions. Mind you, on my minis, they only have a few MM of travel.

I measured up the Tamiya plastics and they're 17mm at the cap, same as the eBay cheapies. I think I'll just order a set and see how it turns out. For $12 a set with free shipping, there's not much to lose. I'm looking at these ones now.

right here!.

EDIT: Ordered! I'll let you know how they work.

Last edited by monkeyracing; 05-23-2014 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:16 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Got the $12 85mm shocks today. They're about what I expected. A bit cheap, but with potential. The springs are pure crap. They're in the trash already.

First things first - tore them down to drain and rebuild, because you know it wasn't done right. They were filled with a yellow-ish, stinky mineral oil. The pistons are notched, rather than drilled. Not any weirder than Tamiya pistons.

Overall, they're okay. The inside of the bodies has a light grooved texture. Should be able to sort it out with a few minutes work. I'll rebuild with good fluids and see where it goes.

Old 06-10-2014, 09:39 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

So, how did they turn out? Inquiring minds want to know.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:41 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
So, how did they turn out? Inquiring minds want to know.
X2 me too
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:21 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

So far, so good. Stuck on some old Associated green buggy springs. Had to cut a few coils, but they're still too stiff. Pics coming. Rebuilding them with 25wt silicone seems to have worked. Bleeding from the caps didn't work worth a damn, so I bled them out from the bottom to get zero rebound

EDIT: Got them on all 4 corners. The long green springs will work on the front, the rears will get short brown springs for now. Mounting them wasn't too hard, but I'll be re-doing the fronts for more strength. Need to figure out new front body mounts now. Stupid shocks are in the way.

Last edited by monkeyracing; 06-10-2014 at 03:41 PM.

Super Cheap eBay Shocks - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cheap clod on ebay usa1man Chit Chat 2 08-25-2007 10:52 AM
cheap a-1 on ebay usa1man Chit Chat 2 03-15-2007 11:05 PM