Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: steering mod not working

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2014, 07:55 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default steering mod not working

I bought the gpm steering upgrade. it didn't come with instructions but im pretty sure I put it in right. but its got a lot of slack in it... almost full lock slack too... also it limits wheel travel. I was at the Tamiya forum and found how how to fix that problem.... but what about the slack?
kongluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2014, 10:41 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: steering mod not working

had to rethink the travel problem. considering the size of tires available it seems to have enough travel. i have the tamiya aluminum shocks. the stock shock oil is great but the springs need to be upgraded. the seem a little to soft. the customworks springs that i bought will go in as soon as i get my 4link parts. hopefully tomorrow.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:17 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

post up some pics of your steering set. I built my own setup but i'm curious of the issues you're running into.
vinnyphx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:53 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

I usually put a small dab of red threadlock on both ends of the post that goes through the chassis so it fills in where the arms bolt on. There's a tiny bit of play there, and it gets magnified a bit throughout the steering.

Replacing the ball ends with Traxxas ball ends or higher grade Tamiya cups helps also. The stock parts stretch and allow for a lot of play as well.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 09:07 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnyphx View Post
post up some pics of your steering set. I built my own setup but i'm curious of the issues you're running into.
I can't post pics yet. But I've already had to dremel the the skid that the a arms are mounted to.

The parts key into each other though.

Tightened up the screws a little. Fixed the slack. When I first assembled it it seemed to bind...I guess when everything is in place it strengthens itself.

now the steering is funky... with no weight the steering steers both directions fine but when I put it on the ground one side turns better than the other.. I can do doughnuts one way but not the other and the radius is way too wide

oh yeah... threadlock

Took the gym off and mounted up the stock steering setup just to see how much slop was in it... not one bit .. no screws backing out or anything. I'm thinkin the slop everyone was experiencing was the servo saver .. it doesn't look functional so I didn't put it in.

Last edited by THX_138; 09-24-2014 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:26 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

yeah the slop came from the stock servo saver.. the slop in the stock steering can be fixed also it's a normal fix for me bc I had to do it to my hpi sprint2 I've done part of it stopped all the binding. but to do the rest I need the gpm servo mount... my 100 oz/in servo is about to rip itself off that plastic mount

but mainly all you need is two washers and a paper clip

you might not want to put the paper clip in though bc it requires you to cut the front skid.... but im getting an aluminum one just depends on how close to stock you want it to be...

you may be saying the reason why my servo is pulling itself out is bc of binding..but don't forget I don't have a body and watching it turn while on the rocks just caught my eye

oh yeah you could just take the whole thing apart.... once you put it on you don't have to take off or adjust it anymore.... im just tired of taking the front end apart for little stuff

paper clip removes all of the slack... won't turn left though... but adding 2 spacers to the steering post allows a lot less binding.

when you add the paper clip you drill a small in the steering arms and pull it tight and that acts as a stabilizer allowing the arms to move in parallel.

Last edited by THX_138; 09-24-2014 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Merged, minutes apart
Old 09-22-2014, 11:01 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I usually put a small dab of red threadlock on both ends of the post that goes through the chassis so it fills in where the arms bolt on. There's a tiny bit of play there, and it gets magnified a bit throughout the steering.

Replacing the ball ends with Traxxas ball ends or higher grade Tamiya cups helps also. The stock parts stretch and allow for a lot of play as well.
red? in that case I can use some ca. Correct?

steering mod not working - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new steering on the new PRO/ OTA steering mod axialjeepster AxialJeepster Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 4 10-14-2012 01:03 AM
Xirtic + JP High Clearance Steering Mod on Mod JeffK11 RC4WD Bully 1 02-01-2012 09:55 AM
working hydrolic steering! Rider385 General Crawlers 36 02-08-2008 07:15 PM
Steering not working properly?????? exoyota Electronics 6 03-02-2007 09:31 AM
Front Dig Mod,steering mod & pushbar TheButcher69 General Crawlers 1 11-06-2006 06:32 PM