Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: new shocks? nitrocharger 's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2014, 03:27 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default new shocks? nitrocharger 's

Hey everyone I'm looking at some RC4WD old man emu shocks.. Does anyone have any input on how the CC01 performs with these installed, or in general?

I understand theres 3 sizes 70, 80, and 90mm (CC01 stock is 70mm), what should i go with?

Thanks
marcod13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-17-2014, 04:55 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: new shocks? nitrocharger 's

If you have had experience with the standard RC4WD Ultimate Scale shock, then you'll know how these will perform. They're the exact same construction, just a different color.

They are 70mm eye to eye.
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:26 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh2012 View Post
If you have had experience with the standard RC4WD Ultimate Scale shock, then you'll know how these will perform. They're the exact same construction, just a different color.

They are 70mm eye to eye.
Thanks for the input, so you're suggesting i go with the 70mm version?
Old 10-17-2014, 07:46 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcod13 View Post
Thanks for the input, so you're suggesting i go with the 70mm version?
The length is up to you.

Being that they're very springy as they come out of the package, I always cut my springs down about 3-5 coils so that they can settle to the right ride height and still have the up/down travel needed for them to work.
Lentsnh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 07:56 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lentsnh2012 View Post
The length is up to you.

Being that they're very springy as they come out of the package, I always cut my springs down about 3-5 coils so that they can settle to the right ride height and still have the up/down travel needed for them to work.

Ah okay, I'm asking because it's for a CC01 chassis and the stock ones are 70mm i don't want anything to bind if i go too long. I may go with 80mm and try your coil trick though. Thanks
Old 10-18-2014, 05:33 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

I Have 70's on the front of mine and 90's on the rear

a mate of mine got 80's all round and has lost travel in the front (not much) but I still get better travel on mine as his stops a few millimetres before mine does, and I installed 90's on the rear as my unimog body can handle hiding the chassis up inside the body and get better performance than 70mm shocks

shot of the rear

and the front

I will be attending a comp tomorrow and I can let ya know how it performs and I haven't cut the coils on these as the front ones are very soft and the rears are harder but still manageable

Last edited by steamboatbob; 10-18-2014 at 05:34 AM. Reason: extra info
steamboatbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 07:45 AM   #7

Std unmodified front suspension can't even get the full extension on the 70mm dampers, so stay with 70mm. Modified can use the full 70mm.
Rear can use longer ones, 80mm definitely OK, maybe 90mm, but I'm using 80mm on mine, with the Tamiya drop links.
SlimJim16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 04:03 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by steamboatbob View Post
I Have 70's on the front of mine and 90's on the rear

a mate of mine got 80's all round and has lost travel in the front (not much) but I still get better travel on mine as his stops a few millimetres before mine does, and I installed 90's on the rear as my unimog body can handle hiding the chassis up inside the body and get better performance than 70mm shocks

shot of the rear

and the front

I will be attending a comp tomorrow and I can let ya know how it performs and I haven't cut the coils on these as the front ones are very soft and the rears are harder but still manageable
Thanks for the help buddy! Nice Unimog, pictures were much appreciated. I bought some 70's.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:03 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlimJim16v View Post
Std unmodified front suspension can't even get the full extension on the 70mm dampers, so stay with 70mm. Modified can use the full 70mm.
Rear can use longer ones, 80mm definitely OK, maybe 90mm, but I'm using 80mm on mine, with the Tamiya drop links.
Thanks man, I bought a pair of the 70s for the front, so my rear is still stock right now, but i too have the drop links so i may stretch for the 80s later on. Thanks a lot
Old 10-21-2014, 07:33 AM   #10
Rock Stacker

no probs. and I don't use the drop links anymore as you lose too much traction at the rears when they do drop.

and I used them at a comp on the weekend just gone and they performed very well you just have to remember that they do not need to be filled with oil they only require a very small amount of oil in them to lubricate the seals. If I can find a picture of my chassis without the body on it I shall post it here for you but my unimog is in bits atm as it needs a clean and had a very dramatic CVD fail at the comp (I bent a pin which in turn somehow destroyed my steering links )

Last edited by steamboatbob; 10-21-2014 at 07:35 AM. Reason: added info
Old 10-22-2014, 09:44 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
no probs. and I don't use the drop links anymore as you lose too much traction at the rears when they do drop.

and I used them at a comp on the weekend just gone and they performed very well you just have to remember that they do not need to be filled with oil they only require a very small amount of oil in them to lubricate the seals. If I can find a picture of my chassis without the body on it I shall post it here for you but my unimog is in bits atm as it needs a clean and had a very dramatic CVD fail at the comp (I bent a pin which in turn somehow destroyed my steering links )
Thanks, so do you recommend i put in a drop of tamiya yellow oil to lubricate it? Good luck with the rebuild.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:06 AM   #12

There are two schools of thought re drop links in 1:1 off roading, which I've done a bit off. Not used drop links though, as they're not a good idea when used on road.

Some say without any spring pushing the wheel down, you won't get any traction, so a waste of time. Possible.
Others say that at least the tyre will be in contact with the ground and it will have the weight of the wheel and tyre to help give traction. Also possible.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:40 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

yes I agree slimjim but after a fair bit of trialing I found that the rears had a lot less traction on my cc-01 when the extension links were installed and the rims I have a very heavy but on a different setup it could work.

and marcod I had some shock oil about but I only put a few drops in each shock as I said its just to lubricate the seals so any shock oil would be good.
Old 10-25-2014, 11:44 AM   #14

Thanks, it's nice to have some real life feedback. Although mine's not a shelf queen, it doesn't get much use.
Old 10-25-2014, 01:09 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
yes I agree slimjim but after a fair bit of trialing I found that the rears had a lot less traction on my cc-01 when the extension links were installed and the rims I have a very heavy but on a different setup it could work.

and marcod I had some shock oil about but I only put a few drops in each shock as I said its just to lubricate the seals so any shock oil would be good.
Much appreciated steamboatbob! I should be getting in the shocks Monday, ill be sure to let you know how they perform

Just got the shocks in today, they're very precise and smooth. Gotta test them on a trail now! Can be seen at my build thread here Tamiya CC01 Subaru Brat

Last edited by marcod13; 10-28-2014 at 07:58 AM.

Tags
nitrocharger, old man emu, rc4wd

new shocks? nitrocharger 's - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC4WD Old Man Emu Nitrocharger Sport Shock by ARB Rckcrwlr Scale Accessories 13 09-26-2013 04:42 AM