Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: RJ Speedy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2015, 08:09 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default RJ Speedy

Saw this body at the LHS, and I have poor impulse control. I oringinally was going to put it on an STRC short chassis with some TLT's, but it's TINY. Didn't look right at all. So i dropped it on a CC01. Hmm... not bad.

So, I took a well loved CC01 project that I haven't driven in a while (had an AM radio in it still) and stripped it all down. I had a new chassis tub laying here, so busted out the dremel and started whacking away. Did all the usual mods I do to these chassis (brick removal, suspension re-work, etc) and then started sizing it up.

CC01 tub was too wide for the body, so I trimmed up the side, and narrowed the rear arches. Added some foam in the battery compartment for a small lipo while I was at it

Tucks right in there, and a foam bock wedges in there to hold it from the side. Remove the foam on the side, and slide the battery right back out.

A few ounces of lead glued in here and there as low as possible. Weight balance goal is about 55/45...it's there now, will change a bit when bumpers are added

Rear suspension modded up. 80mm shocks, give just a bit more travel then the front. Don't like a ton of rear flex in these trucks, just makes them unstable imo.

View of the bottom. Usual suspension set-up, and I severly trimmed some junfac sliders down. They stuck out about 8 miles from the body initially.

View from the top. Yup, that's a holmes outrunner in there. I just test ran it around the basement, but on 2S, I don't know that there's a much better set-up for the CC01. GOBS of torque, no reduction needed, and way more wheelspeed than I need. Already heard the driveline crack once testing it on carpet (trying to wheelie - it did.) Fingers crossed....

And the RJ speed body. Cool body, wish it was just a bit larger! Had to hack almost the entire front of the chassis off to make it work, but I like the overall stance. Says Outlaw to me, I don't know why. Been looking for a good excuse to glue up these wheels - think i finally found it.

Way narrow for the CC01, but I like it.

Flexing around..plenty for a CC chassis. Can't get to the "1 tire" rule, but close enough.

Working on bumpers - rear is cake, but the front has me a bit stumped. Got a few ideas bubbling around. I'll come up with something. Still very much a work in progress.

Last edited by OSRC; 02-08-2015 at 08:18 PM.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2015, 06:43 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: RJ Speedy

Those baby Vaterra swampers would probly be the cats a$$ on this rig. Especially with the little jeep body.
fla_cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:43 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Well, I had no real plan here for the front bumper, just kind of played with stuff and it started falling together...sometimes the best projects come together that way.

Had planned a tube bumper of some kind, but the front of a hacked CC chassis is a little tricky. In the end, I ended up with some delrin and aluminum plate.

I trimmed up a piece of delrin and sandwiched it in the chassis, and screwed it in from the sides. Braces up the chassis and gave me a mounting point. The aluminum plate mounts to the the delrin spacer, and a final piece of delrin goes up front and sandwiches the aluminum in there. 5 screws hold it all together, and it's super strong - not going anywhere!

Some D rings are then strategically placed over the screws...End results is pretty clean. Not bad for having no plan at all 2 hours ago!

Pretty good approach angle too!

Super happy with how it came out...moving to the rear bumper....
Old 02-14-2015, 10:56 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Nice looking Rig so far! Your work never ceases to amaze me! You will have to keep us posted on the outrunner performance once you test it outside.
SFC K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 07:04 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I don't think the outrunner will stay. Have the feeling I'll be picking up drivetrain parts. (but it will be fun!)

Rear bumper is done, just needs some paint.... and some pics.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:19 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Any pics with paint yet?
smokinloon is offline   Reply With Quote

RJ Speedy - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CW Speedy Sporty build Crawling Calvin Axial AX-10 Scorpion 24 04-05-2013 10:37 AM
speedy-motors combo help? tuf-gmh Electronics 0 03-15-2011 01:55 AM