Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: CC01 Jeep Wrangler YJ

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2014, 06:04 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default CC01 Jeep Wrangler YJ

Been toying with the idea of getting a CC01 for a while. I finally pulled the trigger this weekend.

No pictures of the build. Pretty standard stuff. But plenty of pictures of the end product.

ebbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2014, 06:07 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: CC01 Jeep Wrangler YJ

Last edited by ebbet; 12-17-2014 at 06:36 PM.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:08 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

One with the body off.

Old 12-17-2014, 06:28 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Like I said, pretty standard build. I immediately knew I did not want to keep the stock wheels and tires. So the wheels were replaced with Proline's 1.9" Faultline wheels. Stock tires were replaced with RC4WD Dick Cepek FC-II tires. I have yet to run them on anything other than the basement floor, but they feel 100% better than the stock tires, still have a nice scale look and are not too big. I added some Yeah Racing heavy duty shackles with mounting brackets to the front bumper. All I had was the mounting hardware left over from a prior build. So the shackles themselves are Axial's plastic set from the Casey Currie edition Jeep. I have actual Yeah Racing replacements on the way.

I had to mod the battery compartment a bit to fit a brick lipo. Then had to mod it a bit more to fit a velcro strap to keep the battery in place.

Additional planned mods:

Junfac 4 link set
RC4WD front skid plate set RC4WD Front Skid Plate for Tamiya CC01 Wrangler
A rear bumper set from a CR01 Jeep
3 Racing winch with an RC4WD King Kong hook
Yeah Racing Steel front universals

The tires are a little bigger than stock and might rub a bit. Any pointers on lifting the body a bit to get clearance? I'd rather not cut the fenders, but if its a must, I will. I've seen some body lifts, but I'm unsure of where all I would need to put spacers. Under each upper shock mount? Under the front skid plate?
Old 12-18-2014, 07:03 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

So the more I thought about it, the more I thought that my previous ideas to lift the body might work, but they might be better suited to lifting the suspension or gaining wheel travel. I began looking at the body mounts in the rear and the bulkhead piece in the front. I put about 2 mm of spacers under the front bulkhead and shaved some of the plastic off the top of the rear body mount pieces. Honestly, it's hardly noticeable, but it might give me just enough to not rub so much. Right now, chalking it up to a score.

I am still waiting on my Junfac 4 link to come in. The tracking code to the USPS said it would be here today. Guess what's not here!

After reading about the Junfac 4 link and more specifically the skid that comes with it, it seems that the skid limits ride height. I measured the ride height at the drive gear cover and it measured about 32.5 mm. At the lowest point on the front skid and at the rear pumpkin, the ride height was 25.5 mm. Does the Junfac skid hang lower than the front skid or the rear pumpkin? Or is it that the Junfac skid limits the break-over height? Seems to me that the smoothness of the Junfac skid would be better than the nooks and crannies on the floor pan now. Guess we'll find out once the USPS delivers the goods. As Tom Petty said, the waiting is the hardest part! Now you have that song stuck in your head. You're welcome!
Old 12-19-2014, 07:46 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Finally was able to get a short run in today. A little crawling in a riverbed and some trails along the side. Also gave it a go on some rocks to see what it could do.

So this certainly is no SCX10. The brick on the front really limits approach angles. Bottom of the chassis seemed to get hung up a lot. The smaller wheels make it more difficult, as well. With that said, it was fun! You have to learn the limits of the truck and drive it accordingly. You have to really work on wheel placement, approach and setting up your lines. I like the wheel speed I can get with the 45t motor, but at times felt like I could use more low end. All in all, a fun rig and I can't wait to get back out.

A little bummed because the beautiful paint job got scuffed some, but I guess that is par for the course. I guess some touch up paint will work.

Old 12-19-2014, 08:14 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Also received the Junfac 4 link and a front skid in the mail today.

First the skid plate...not too happy with this. It is very thin and rather flimsy. Not sure this will hold up too well to the rigors of the trail and rocks. We'll find out I suppose.

Got the Junfac 4 link and skid installed. Would have been nice if Junfac would have included instructions, but I was able to get it installed based on photos on their website. Looks nice and seems to be of good quality.

I measured the ride height with skid installed and it measured at 30.5 mm. The smoothness of the skid looks like it would help lessen chassis hang ups and promote sliding over obstacles. I'm anxious to get back out and see how it all works.
Old 12-19-2014, 08:28 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Here is a photo of the 4 link and skid.

Old 12-25-2014, 09:52 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Got some goodies for Christmas. Time to install them.

Rear bumper for CR01:

3 Racing winch, Yeah Racing universals, winch hook and shackles.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:38 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Got everything installed and was able to get it out for a little while. So far I am pleased with the Junfac 4 link and skid plate. The skid plate does lessen the overall ride height, but I feel what you give up in ride height you pick up in the skid sliding over obstacles rather than the chassis getting hung up. At least that is first impression. Maybe the jury is still out and the verdict is yet to come. Like I said before, this is no SCX10, but it is still fun to drive around! It will surprise you at times what it can do and then other times you think "really, it gets hung up on that?!". I think larger diameter tires would help with ground clearance and overcoming larger obstacles. I need to figure something out with the front brick. The skid plate on the front is a piece of crap and is for nothing more than show. Maybe I need to fabricate something, but that is not my forte. Anyone know of a decent front skid or know someone who fabricates something like that?
Old 12-28-2014, 07:03 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

I would not worry about a front skid. I would just chop the brick off. It will allow a much better approach angle...the tires will touch the obstacles before the chassis will.

I have two cc01s and both have the brick removed and I couldnt be happier. The only thing you will have to do is plug the rectangular hole it leaves...styrene and glue work great.
slow1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 10:17 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I'll need to figure out a way to mount the front of the body then. The front bulkhead that the body clips onto is mounted into the screw holes that go down into the brick. Not sure if i am explaining that right.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:30 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I know what you're saying but you don't have to cut up that high. If I remember right you go down 1 centimeter from the top of the brick and make your horizontal cut.

Scroll down to post #12 (not my build)
Jeep YJ CC-01 build ordered!
Old 12-29-2014, 06:00 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Slow1500, that is exactly what I meant and that post you referenced helps a ton. I kept trying to visualize it and couldn't. Thanks!

Now for a little chassis work. Time to get the Dremel out. Wish me luck!
Old 12-29-2014, 06:08 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Before we get to cutting, some quick updates.

New rear bumper from a CR01 parts tree. Just shoo gooed it to the body.

New 3Racing winch, Yeah Racing shackles and RC4WD hook.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:11 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

And before I forget, here is the skid plate that is such a piece of dung. If anyone is considering this, DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY! If you feel like wasting it, stop and PM me. I'll give you my paypal account and you can just dump it in there!

Old 12-29-2014, 06:15 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbet View Post
Slow1500, that is exactly what I meant and that post you referenced helps a ton. I kept trying to visualize it and couldn't. Thanks!

Now for a little chassis work. Time to get the Dremel out. Wish me luck!
I'm glad I could help!

And that back bumper looks GOOD!! So simple.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:37 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Thanks, Slow!

After getting that bumper on, I realized the spare tire did not fit flush any longer. Had to raise it, or push it out away from the rear gate. Got to looking at the parts tree and saw a piece that looked like it would fit right into where the spare slotted in. Went ahead and put it on to fill the holes. It holds the hi lift jack on the back of the CR01. Fills the void for now. May figure out a way to mount a spare in the future. But good for now!
Old 12-29-2014, 06:43 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Brick removed.

Although not nearly as clean as the guy in the post Slow1500 showed me.

Now to fab a cover for it.
Old 12-29-2014, 07:07 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

HAHAHA... you got right to it!! lol. Probably the best mod for this chassis!

And when I was running the jeep body I actually made a raised tire mount anyway.. the spare would drag everywhere I crawled.

CC01 Jeep Wrangler YJ - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New to me CC01 Jeep Wrangler R|M|D Photography Tamiya XC/CC01 5 10-28-2014 04:25 AM
Another CC01 Jeep Wrangler YJ XT the-gamer Tamiya XC/CC01 15 04-17-2014 03:45 AM
CC01 Jeep Wrangler Upgrade 4j's Tamiya XC/CC01 6 07-06-2012 11:29 PM