Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: gears skipping.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2015, 01:29 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default gears skipping.

So today, I take the pajero out with our group and almost immediately it starts skipping gears. I notice that I lose front drive when this happens. After getting home and being able to take it apart, I see that my new GPM spur doesn't contact the other bevel gear properly. Am I the only one having this issue?
redneckracerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2015, 01:58 PM   #2

Default Re: gears skipping.

I had this issue while assembling with the gpm spur. I had to shim it so it made proper contact with the other conical gear. Never ran it without shimming but after a few hours of testing, it seems to hold up fine once shimmed. Tamiya makes some 5mm shim kits that can be found online at a decent price. This should help. In my case i didn't have those handy at the time, so i used a regular washer and shaved some of the plastic spacers. Could do if you're in a hurry.

It is great that GPM makes parts for the CC-01 but they sometimes require some adjustments. Like the few steering kits i bought, some work was needed.
pfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:27 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Thanks! I do notice a bit of slop in the spur but cant really check it with the cover on. (obviously) A 5mm shim seems like a lot? Where does the shim go?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin107 View Post
I did eventually make it work by swapping the motor position on the mount like said above.. Still had to shim tho...

full writeup here:

Tamiya CC-01 Unimog Upgrades Installation | RC Soup
After some searching I found this. Pictures on page 2. This makes sense now. Thanks!
redneckracerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:58 AM   #4

I meant shims for 5mm diameter shafts. The shim themselves are in 0.1mm, 0.2mm and 0.3mm thickness if i remember correctly. Tamiya part number is 53587. You can find these at well known online shops for around 5$. I like to keep a set around, so useful for many situations. Indeed the page 2 on the link you posted shows exactly how to fix your problem. Wish i had known this before buying the GPM spur. Gpm should include those with the spur...
pfuture is offline   Reply With Quote

gears skipping. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Worms skipping in a Bind? bogfrog Team Losi Comp Crawler 17 03-04-2011 03:20 AM
RC skipping on water venomous98 Non Crawler RC's 4 03-03-2011 03:42 PM
Belt skipping airranger Newbie General 4 08-20-2006 11:21 PM
rear axle skipping? Bknight General Crawlers 7 05-21-2006 04:38 PM
skipping school and going crawling boner Chit Chat 15 03-31-2005 12:45 PM