RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Tamiya XC/CC01 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-xc-cc01/)
-   -   Metal Gears (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/tamiya-xc-cc01/531255-metal-gears.html)

HCCrawler 03-28-2015 05:31 PM

Metal Gears

Any thoughts on whether metal gears are a necessity for the CC01 to run in comps? They are expensive and if not used, the money could go to other items.

redneckracerx 03-29-2015 09:50 AM

Re: Metal Gears

battery size, motor size/type, tire size and driving style are all key factors here. Whats your setup?

HCCrawler 03-29-2015 10:50 AM

1.9 wheels and tires, HPI GRU, 45t brushed crawler motor, 20t pinion, longer WB, 2000 NIMH or 3000 NIMH.

Jeepiac 03-29-2015 01:24 PM

I'm running a HPI gru with a 27T, 16 tooth pinion and Nimh packs and I've had gear troubles. So far the front diff is the only thing I haven't trashed. I think it's all in how rough you're going to be on it. I seem to have a talent for killing the rear diff myself.

redneckracerx 03-30-2015 01:30 PM

wow, I must be a light throttle driver:shock: I run a 3s 5000 lipo, 85t brushed and 1.55 mtz's. The only gears I've needed were the spur and pinion. which were a pita to fit. Once I learned about the shims though its been good!

Jeepiac 03-30-2015 06:07 PM

I don't know what the deal was with mine. Beginning to think I don't know how to build worth a crap. After the last go around with the gears, shimming the spur and putting in the metal lower gear for the rear drive all seems good but I don't trust it yet. If it hold together I'm going to try a 20T to get a little more wheel speed. I don't think loosing a little torque is going to be a problem with a GRU. Might be easier on the drivetrain.

Reaxion911 04-16-2015 04:07 PM

Hpi gru put out almost unstoppable torque and take a half second to actually slow to a stop after you drop the throttle so if your in a bind is a half second too Iate. blew out a gear set on mine for that reason mind you was running a traxxas 12t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

redneckracerx 04-20-2015 08:08 AM

Never thought of the extra gears continuing to spin after you let off the throttle. That split second in the wrong spot could surely break stuff.

kongluc 05-14-2015 08:59 AM

can't remember where i saw it... maybe on one of osrc's build threads..you can fit a whole bushing in the rear axle to stop the factory diff from wearing so fast...i just put it in and upgraded the whole diff at the same time..can't remember the brand but the gears are steel

OSRC 05-14-2015 09:06 AM

If the gear cover is not cinched down tightly, you can get "gear pops" (as I call them) - use machine screws on the gear cover ilo the stock tapping screws. Helps a bit. Or even better, drill out the screw holes in the chassis that hold down the gear cover to 3mm and use longer screws and locknuts on the bottom of the chassis. Cover's not going anywhere in that case.

Jeepiac 05-14-2015 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSRC (Post 5224658)
If the gear cover is not cinched down tightly, you can get "gear pops" (as I call them) - use machine screws on the gear cover ilo the stock tapping screws. Helps a bit. Or even better, drill out the screw holes in the chassis that hold down the gear cover to 3mm and use longer screws and locknuts on the bottom of the chassis. Cover's not going anywhere in that case.

That's what I ended up doing to mine. had a mystery gear pop under a heavy load and finally figured out it was the gear cover not being secured because of those stupid self tappers. Been a while and all is holding now that the cover has machine screws holding it down "thumbsup"