Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: motor/esc options for slow rock crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-06-2015, 12:07 AM   #1

Default motor/esc options for slow rock crawler

Hey guys,

So I pulled my waterproof motor and ESC from a buggy (TT02B) and decided to run it on my CC01. It's a 3000KV 12.5T brushless sensorless motor w/ a 45Amp ESC. I'm running it with the stock 16T pinion. I run all my cars with a helicopter radio so I can setup throttle curves. I have the throttle set to 20% which is the minimum it will run at otherwise it won't spool. The motor cogs pretty badly, it's not smooth. It also lacks torque just gets stuck sometimes at a hump. The motor just sits there cogging. I guess this is expected with sensorless. It runs too fast for any kind of real crawling, it just runs over everything. I don't want to bother with brushed motors. My question is what brushless motor should I get that will match say a 55-80T brushed motor? I'm eyeing either a Trackstar 2270KV sensored brushless or a 1900KV Hobbyking sensored brushless. Is that low enough? There doesn't seem to be many options for low KV brushelss motors. I've checked 4 local hobby stores now and they have nothing!

thanks,

Bry
Autotechnica is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2015, 07:44 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: motor/esc options for slow rock crawler

Ideally a brushed motor is best. I have tried two 1200-1600kv brushless (unsensored) motors and they cogged badly. You might can try a 3:1 gru but that requires chassis modification by cutting into the battery tray and sitting the battery upright.

I'm going back to brushed.
slow1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 07:47 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Tekin ROC 412 4-Pole Sensored Brushless Rock Crawler Motor (1200kV) [TEKTT2603] | Electronics - AMain Performance Hobbies - AMain Performance Hobbies
Old 12-06-2015, 07:53 AM   #4

I have never used a brushed motor in my life for anything RC related. How bad is the wear on the motors? That's my main concern. I'm not a fan of having to rebuild anything. I mainly like the brushed motors for their reliability and long life.

I was speaking to the owners of local RC shops and they all tell me that GRU will not add torque, they will just slow down the motors acceleration and top speed, much like adding a smaller pinion. I'm confused as doesn't using a smaller pinion increase torque?

I've read that sensored motors are buttery smooth yet nothing compares to a brushed motor. Again, just thinking of longevity. Since I already have a waterproof ESC, it saves me money on having to buy another brushed esc. Cogging aside, were the 1200-1600KV motors slow enough for crawling?

thanks.
Autotechnica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 08:30 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

A gru helped one of my cc01s greatly when I kept getting motor stall. You are right, it's like adding a smaller pinion but the effects are greater. Its like a tq multiplier. That's why real life rock crawlers are geared low. Cc01s need this more than any other crawlers I've had.

I have burned up a couple of brushed motors in high-speed situations but not in any of my crawlers. They just aren't under the stress since they are geared so low.

Brushed motors still work under water. But I see what you mean you don't want to buy a different esc. My brushess motors are just collecting dust. They just don't have near the low speed control because of the cogging at super low speeds. I just recently put one back in so I could use it as a trail truck, not a crawler.

Last edited by slow1500; 12-06-2015 at 08:33 AM.

motor/esc options for slow rock crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motor ESC Options robertjpjr Maine 5 04-01-2014 05:15 AM
XR10 motor/esc options? MonsterTruckMan Axial XR10 13 12-31-2011 08:10 PM
Blizzard ESC/motor options... BigJay Chit Chat 4 03-07-2006 05:50 AM