Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Using longer wheel joints to space out wheels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2015, 07:41 AM   #1

Default Using longer wheel joints to space out wheels

Hey guys,

So I have the RC Channel axles and I just got their wheels as well. Their wheels use a 5 bolt wheel hub which then pins to the hub carrier, so there's no way to add washers as spacers for the wheels as they are 5 bolt. Since installing my Rubicon body I noticed the offset was too narrow. I need +10mm in the back and +5mm in the front. Is it possible to run a different length of wheel joint so that the pin is spaced out further? I realize if I do this, I'll need to shim the part between the C-Hub bearing and where the pin is, but that shouldn't be a problem. Anyone done this? I was thinking of using the wheel joint from a buggy (TT-02B) or something. I wish they made that black piece in different sizes but they don't.

thanks,

Bry

Last edited by Autotechnica; 12-17-2015 at 07:49 AM.
Autotechnica is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-2015, 10:29 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Using longer wheel joints to space out wheels

Are those 2 piece wheels? Can the face be swapped to the other side? Easiest solution.

Tamiya TA knuckles bolt on and add approx. 10mm per side in front. Here's 2 shots (shown on my TA's) of knuckles:

These are the same size knuckles as a stock CC:

These are "TA knuckles" (as I call them) - note how much wider they are in reference to the kingpins.

Parts needed for the conversion are:
50648 (Tamiya Front Upright Car TA01) - these can be found in black as well, I don't have a part number though.
53141 or 84175 (kingpin screws, lightweight or regular)
50823 (axles, I'm sure several work but these do for sure)
and 4 5x11 bearings...stock dogbones, pins, and hexes work just fine
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2015, 11:21 AM   #3

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, I have the entire RC Channel parts up front as well (CA arms, knuckles, C-Hub etc), so swapping those parts out aren't really an option.

I'm still thinking that running a longer wheel joint would be the way to go. I might have to go to the LHS and find longer shafts that utilize the same bearing size. Would you see any problems with doing that? Aside from the longer joint shaft, the hole for the pin would also have to be positioned further outward because of the way the RCC wheel mounts.

And Yep, they are 3 piece wheels, so if I flipped it I guess that would give it a nice deep dish look too. That's a good idea! Thanks! Will try that first then report back.

Last edited by Autotechnica; 12-17-2015 at 11:26 AM.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:26 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

What if you fabbed up some spacers to go between your wheels and hubs. Use some steel flat fender washers and drill them out to allow longer lug screws to go through into the hub. 1:1 do this sometimes to get extra clearance for modified axles/hubs and larger brakes.
58_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 07:16 AM   #5

That would require some really precision drilling. I don't have access to a drill press or anything like that. Wouldn't that be really difficult to drill tiny 2mm holes through a steel washer that small?

Also a no go on flipping the 3 piece wheels, they are only threaded through the back side, which means if I flipped it there would be no threads to hold on the back piece. I could just get 40 M2 nuts and lock them in that way. I'm not sure how I feel about a deep dish look though. I'm going for scale looks.

thanks guys, appreciate your suggestions greatly.
Old 12-18-2015, 11:34 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Not sure about the measurements, but, maybe these will help?
redneckracerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 02:54 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autotechnica View Post
That would require some really precision drilling. I don't have access to a drill press or anything like that. Wouldn't that be really difficult to drill tiny 2mm holes through a steel washer that small?
Yes...somewhat. They don't have to be exactly 2mm, just need to be in line to allow the bolts to go through to the hubs...3mm would be fine. Can't really tell which RC channel hubs you have. Do you have a pic of the outside where the wheel mounts up?
58_Willys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 11:09 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

1.9" 5 Lug Steel Wheel Hex Hub

I don't know what happened with my previous post but here is the link. And a pic.

maybe with a thicker hex you could get the proper spacing?
Old 12-22-2015, 08:42 AM   #9

I took a snap shot last night. Here's how the wheel bolts up. The Hub doesn't have the HEX though. It does away completely with the Tamiya HEX. That hub sits directly on the pin that goes through the wheel joint. The nut then secures the hub to the wheel joint and the wheel bolts to the hub through the 5 bolts on the hub. I guess i could remove this hub and pin a regular tamiya hub on then run that other additional hub that you posted a pic of. That should give me a bit more offset. However,looks like ill still need a longer wheel joint but the hole/pin spacing won't need to change. Thanks for the link.

I managed to get the wheels to stick out a bit more running wider and taller crawler tires. 38mm wide 90mm tall. It could still use another 5-7mm in the back though.

Last edited by Autotechnica; 12-22-2015 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-07-2016, 10:39 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I just saw this in the new products / great deals forum.

GCM 3mm Wheel Spacers - for a wider fit and look

I know the bolt pattern is different but maybe you could contact them and get what you need?

Using longer wheel joints to space out wheels - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Longer wheel base byrnieman Axial SCX-10 10 03-31-2015 01:16 AM
Dingo longer wheel base Bogncrawl Newbie General 5 09-25-2012 11:10 PM
Longer wheel base. Mr.JayDeeM Axial AX-10 Scorpion 7 06-28-2012 04:22 AM
longer wheel base Losi man Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 2 09-07-2009 08:07 AM
new body and longer wheel base vtt Tamiya CR-01 6 12-16-2008 02:02 PM