Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: New to RC hobby, enjoying CC-01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2016, 09:28 AM   #1

Default New to RC hobby, enjoying CC-01

I am very new to the RC hobby, got my first car about a month ago. I am lucky to live surrounded by rocky forests so lots of trails start just outside the door and there are many crawlable rocks in the vicinity of my house.

I started with a Jamara Ice Tiger but very soon realised it got stuck all the time because of open differentials and low ground clearance. Then I bought a Vaterra Blazer and was amazed by its capabilities in the woods, it really opened up the scenery.

And then the Great Internet helped me find the CC-01 family.

I bought a Tamiya CC-01 Bronco RTR. It is very enjoyable as it makes a standard single track path in the woods a challenge, you do not need to be on a constant hunt for places to crawl.

After the first short outing I locked the rear differential which helped a lot in overcoming obstacles. I have the Tamiya plastic parts to lock the front, too, but will probably not do that as it is so pleasurable to try to find a way over an obstacle with a bit of momentum and clever lines. And for those cases when the car does not make it, it is not too much of a disappointment to help the car a bit with a boot or hand.

The stock tires are not the grippiest either, but I am not in a hurry to replace them yet.

I am amazed at the battery longevity with this car. I am still running in the motor so use only light throttle. I just got 1.5 hours of trail running from a 3500 mAh NIMH battery. By trail a mean a narrow foot path in rocky terrain, lots of ascents and descents, big roots, large rocks, sticky mud, sticks and other vegetation in places. So no parking lot excursion. I cannot wait when I can really use the speed.

Speaking of speed, the stock motor and gearing make this car way too fast for forest paths. Because of the running in period I was using very light throttle and still the car was uncontrollably fast in many places - I cannot imagine how I would want it to be any faster. Where would I need full throttle? I am looking at replacing the motor with a real crawler variant.

Here are a couple of photos from a rest stop today. They are not representative of the terrain I was running on, these photos are just for showing the shiny car.

Enginoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2016, 10:19 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: New to RC hobby, enjoying CC-01

Nice looking CC-01. I always liked the look of the older broncos. Nice beauty shots. I replaced my stock tires with a set for $10 included 4 tires and 4 wheels. Even at that low price point, the traction is so much better. I locked the rear, then used an extra set of the plastic tamiya pieces and locked the front too. Hurts the turning radius a bit, but really improves the climbing ability.

I wish the diff was easily unlocked and relocked, as it is too much an ordeal to change the way it is now...

Good luck with your CC-01.
Chumley54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 01:17 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enginoid View Post
It is very enjoyable as it makes a standard single track path in the woods a challenge, you do not need to be on a constant hunt for places to crawl.
Nice Bronco, and this is exactly the same reason I chose to build a CC-01
Yonzariq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:54 AM   #4

I built another CC-01, a Pajero Sport. Otherwise stock but I locked both front and rear differentials with the Tamiya plastic parts.

I went orange with this car, the Tamiya proposed silver metallic seemed too boring.

I had help building the car as you can see.

I know Japanese cars are small but this is ridiculous...
Enginoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 06:32 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Another Beautiful CC-01. I wish I had more funds, as I would like a fleet of CC-01's. I think a hard body Pajero would be nice too.

I agree with you on color. I thought the silver looked nice, but I like your Red one better than the box art.

I HiLux body would look nice on this chassis too.
Chumley54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:12 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Love it - just did the same body, but went in a completely different direction. It has great lines, and looks right at home on the CC chassis.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote

New to RC hobby, enjoying CC-01 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Really Enjoying my SCX10 Honcho debrent Axial SCX-10 3 10-29-2015 07:01 PM
7 trucks enjoying the rc 4x4 trails! Mudding at Butterfly Trail! RC offroad adventure boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 02-04-2015 09:37 AM
7 trucks enjoying the rc 4x4 trails! Mudding at Butterfly Trail! RC offroad adventure boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 10-20-2014 09:40 AM
Who's enjoying Unemployment? stubs179 Chit Chat 35 02-16-2010 02:57 PM
Enjoying my CR-01 85sfarunner Tamiya CR-01 10 05-26-2008 04:31 PM