Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: MSC to ESC?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2016, 03:12 AM   #1

Default MSC to ESC?

Hi, I'm still finding my way with my CC01 Paj but loving it so far... I'm just looking into changing from a MSC to ESC. Now, I am now to all of this, so if there is a dummy guide for numpties then that would be appreciated. At this moment in time I'm happy with the gearing\speed etc but I'd like to make it a bit more reliable and water tight if possible - note - I've just had my resistor burn out on me, so time to upgrade... Any help on what and where would be appreciated.
Hope5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2016, 02:29 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: MSC to ESC?

For the money, the Hobbywing Quickrun 1060 is about $21 on Amazon. Is waterproof, has Forward, Reverse, Brake, can be set up for drag brake (Jumperr setting). It's a nice unit, I am using them on my CC-01 and my Blackfoot.

It is for brushed motors and since the MSC is for brushed, I am assuming you are sticking to that.

The esc is pretty simple to set up. Connect to battery, connect to receiver channel (replaces the existing servo that went to the MSC) and make sure the jumpers are set before you hook up. Then just the 2 motor wires.

Before you power up, set your radio up so theat end points, trims, are all set to zero or neutral.

On some radios, the ESC behaves backwards. It may require reversing the channel response on radio, or reversing the motor. If you have this issue, just ask again....We can spell out more.
Chumley54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:35 AM   #3

Thank you, seems exactly what I'm looking for and has good reviews. I'm assuming I don't have to do anything additional with my controller?
Old 05-26-2016, 10:16 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hope5 View Post
Thank you, seems exactly what I'm looking for and has good reviews. I'm assuming I don't have to do anything additional with my controller?
Nothing special....Trim, end points, and you may need to reverse the channel...but nothing you would not have to do with the regular servo setup.

The Hobbywing ESC is a low priced but quality ESC. It has limited programming through the 2 jumpers, but for a brushed motor on a CC-01, is a great choice.

I have a $9.00 ESC on my Midnight Pumpkin, and it works, but lacks jumpers, LVC (Low Voltage Cutout) for a lipo application.

The Hobbywing ESC has LVC and I am using it with a 3S (11.1 V) battery on my CC-01.

For bashing and fun, the Hobbywing is perfect. Low price, good quality, waterproof. Everything you need in a basher.
Chumley54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 01:49 AM   #5

Thank you... Ordered one and expecting delivery any day...
Old 06-04-2016, 01:17 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Good lord, you actually had a mechanical speed controller? How far back in time did you have to travel to find one?
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:51 AM   #7

Hahahaha.... I bought it about 1.5 years ago as a fully built package. It was a good price so snapped it up. Been slowly hopping it up with the mods to the Brick, front ball joints to alli, rear 4 part suspension, rock sliders now the ESC... Got the ESC a few days ago and looks fairly simple so will give it a go when I get a bit of spare time! All I need to do then is paint it as its a bright green, and want it the same as my 1:1 Paj :0)
Old 06-10-2016, 04:35 AM   #8

Thanks for all the help! Installed the 1060 last night and all good! Really simple to set up and good piece of kit to be honest...

MSC to ESC? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Msc crawl day getNOSty Michigan 1 03-09-2016 11:22 AM
mamba max pro / SCT / Losi MSC/MXPRO CyberFox Electronics 4 08-03-2013 12:37 AM
Will Losi MSC 12L run a 55T Novak? phxguy Newbie General 0 07-04-2011 12:10 PM
Clod MSC to ESC paul Newbie General 2 03-11-2006 01:41 PM
MSC can they handle Water?? bigred Electronics 2 12-22-2004 08:03 PM