Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: looking at a CC 01

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2016, 07:28 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default looking at a CC 01

A few of the local guys are running these and they are really neat so I'm checking them out.

Looking through here but have a few questions.

Anyone have any pics of a servo winch mounted in there anywhere?
I have a weak novak 17.5 that is dirt slow and unlike all my other scalers that run 3s, this would be only 2s. Will it handle low brushless power?

I'm still looking through the posts here so I may answer my own questions.

For now the build plan is:

Bearings
Junfac link set up
locked diffs front and rear
Hot racing steering
Castle MMP
BEC
Servo winch with HW 1060 esc controlling it.
Trackstar Ts-910 servo
1.9 aluminum wheels
not sure on tires yet but they will have some kind of CI foam like my others do.

I plan to comp this truck in our local C1 class and we build specific C1 courses. My current truck is an Ascender with a Dingo body and it is amazing I'm keeping it for sure but I want something new soo....
Exocaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2016, 07:28 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: looking at a CC 01

it will be a fun little truck if I actually go through with it.
Old 07-05-2016, 07:28 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

it will be a fun little truck if I actually go through with it.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:51 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Check out my little build thread. My first cc01...... FJ Cruiser

I bought this cc01 to just be a fun basher vehicle as we have scale crawlers to comp with.

Turns out we went to a fathers day/buddy run at Team KNK farm and I ended up trading my comp scaler Blazer before we even registered for the event. Soooooooo I ran the cc01 through the TTC course.

This thing rocked! If anyone knows what KNK's TTC course is you'll understand it's a very tough course. It is separated into two courses, one for class 1-2 and one for class 2.5 and 3. Well for this event they separated classes by tire size, but everyone had to run the ENTIRE course! There were people watching and asking if it was a cc01. It impressed quite a few.

The only complaint I have is that I just mounted the body with 4 magnets so far and every time I ran into a rock or obstacle the body came off. It was a royal PITA to say the least. had I known I was going to be running it in the comp I would've used the body posts and pins.

It's no replacement for an scx10 or assender type rig but built right it can hang with the best of them.
jj650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:40 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exocaged View Post
A few of the local guys are running these and they are really neat so I'm checking them out.

Looking through here but have a few questions.

Anyone have any pics of a servo winch mounted in there anywhere?
I have a weak novak 17.5 that is dirt slow and unlike all my other scalers that run 3s, this would be only 2s. Will it handle low brushless power?

I'm still looking through the posts here so I may answer my own questions.

For now the build plan is:

Bearings
Junfac link set up
locked diffs front and rear
Hot racing steering
Castle MMP
BEC
Servo winch with HW 1060 esc controlling it.
Trackstar Ts-910 servo
1.9 aluminum wheels
not sure on tires yet but they will have some kind of CI foam like my others do.

I plan to comp this truck in our local C1 class and we build specific C1 courses. My current truck is an Ascender with a Dingo body and it is amazing I'm keeping it for sure but I want something new soo....
17.5 is way too much motor, it will be blazing fast. A cc-01 is even kinda fast with a 55t brushed motor. If anything maybe try a 25.5t

The gear ratio of the CC01 just isn't great, I've found that without using a gear reduction unit, my best performance is with a 80t brushed motor setup.
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 07:04 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

The other local guy here has an 80t in his, with the gear ratios being so fast, do you have heat issues?
Old 07-11-2016, 10:32 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

any particular reason to NOT get the VW Amarok? I like the truck-ish look of it.
Old 07-13-2016, 03:20 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

The low profile tires and long wheelbase give the Amarok version a poor breakover angle. It gets stuck easily.

If you're really looking into spending that much money on a CC01 you might as well get a MST CMX.
zanthrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:02 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Ordered

Tamiya Amarok
Tamiya CVD's
Junfac 4-link
Aluminum steering bellcrank with bearings
Diff lockers
Orange aluminum shocks
Aluminum knuckles and hubs
Aluminum motor mount
Fast Eddy bearings
And some proline scale stuff

I'll run the stock tires but have nice 1.9 wheels collecting dust. If they fit I'll get tires.

When we run the C1 in our scaler comps we set up a separate course just for them so they aren't on the rougher stuff so this will be fine.
Old 07-18-2016, 06:13 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exocaged View Post
The other local guy here has an 80t in his, with the gear ratios being so fast, do you have heat issues?
No heat problems at all. In my Unimog I'm running a Axial AE-5 with a RC4WD 80t, the combo is very good. I'm also running kind of tall tires (1.55 RC4WD Mud Slingers) and It runs great. With a shorter tire it would be even better, but then I would loose some ground clearance. Also on the Unimog, I'm running locked diffs, the Junfac 4-link kit, Junfac belly skid plate, Junfac front skid, Tamiya rear shock stroke extension kit, Tamiya aluminum motor mount and Hot Racing aluminum steering bell crank kit. The rig works quite well.

Last edited by HDMM; 07-18-2016 at 06:17 AM.
Old 07-19-2016, 02:09 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Sounds like you have a great build. I'll give the stock 55t a shot since we have a lot of sandy stuff in my area but I'm sure I'll settle down with a 65t integy. I like a little wheel speed so I can smack gates really good so my trail boss doesn't miss them.

with this build being mild like it is, would the aluminum lower suspension arms be a benefit by adding a little weight down low?

I should have my kit today or tomorrow and then start the build as far as I can go. I'll not build the parts that need the upgraded stuff on the way. I've read a few times about the servo mount flexing so I'll address that issue as soon as I can.
Old 07-19-2016, 04:53 PM   #12
RCC Addict

The stock Tamiya silver can motor is a 27t, but if you have a 55t it's a good start. We are still running a 55t novak setup in one of our rigs.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:59 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Got it mostly built. Waiting on shocks from China and then put the esc and servo in. The Gmade 4-link kit is for the short wheelbase trucks so I had to make some links to get by with until I can make the ones I want. I have an Integy 65t in there to see how it runs and it will get 3S like all my other scalers.

Using an MMP for drive duty as it's adjustable as where the 1060 isn't. Planning to match the BEC's in both esc's to see if it can handle the servo without brownouts, I am using the 1060 for the winch. Servo will be a Hitec 7954sh and with it being a HV servo I may end up using a BEC.
Old 07-29-2016, 05:03 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Drove it yesterday and it is so slow!!! 65t integy on 3S is horrible! I put some 4.19 MTZ tires on it and the larger diameter helped and the speed is acceptable for the most part. I may still try the 17.5 Novak, it's a weak turd of a motor and I can torque control it down with the MMP.

The 4.19's are for my ascender based Dingo so I need a set for this but I'm thinking around 3.9 like the RC4wd Mud Thrashers. What would you guys suggest for this truck?
Old 07-29-2016, 06:57 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I love the Vaterra Slickrock TSL's. Perfect height - might be a bit smaller than you are looking for though. RC4WD Rock Creepers work very well too.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 07:20 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Will probably get the Mud Thrashers ordered Monday. But the 65t just didn't get the job done. Too slow, no bump power, no wheel speed, horrible. I put the 17.5 Novak in it which is a turd of a motor and set the esc timing to 0 degrees and it's perfect. Will turn a donut and possibly a cyclone.

One of the reasons is also a buddy had his out testing a course today and his 1060 esc and 60t got super hot and didn't even finish the course, I don't want that so I did what I know will work. I'll find out soon enough once I get it on an actual course.