Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: New CC01 owner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2017, 10:55 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default New CC01 owner

Good afternoon everyone, new cc01 owner here, just got it in a trade, have a few questions and looking for advice. First of all, can this truck be build to compete in class 2? If so, what is needed? Secondly, what are the mandatory upgrades no matter what class it will be run in? Well, I guess I only have 2 questions right now but I'm sure I will come up with more as I start tinkering with it. Thank you for any and all help you guys can give me.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Synister_Intent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2017, 11:17 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: New CC01 owner

Congrats on the new-to-you truck. They're fun vehicles.

Can a CC-01 be built up to compete in Class 2? Sure. Just about anything is possible with enough ingenuity. It's going to be really, really difficult, though.

I suggest trying it out and seeing what you find as weak spots. The limitations of the platform will make themselves known pretty quickly. Then you can search here for ideas to address them. That said, here are a couple of high level observations...

I use my rig as a trail truck. If I were to compete with it, I would target Class 1. First off, tires that even approach the 4" diameter become troublesome on a CC-01. You'll need to trim off the inner wheel wells or you'll get a bunch of rubbing. Bigger tires may also break more parts.

The biggest issues you'll need to look into if you're competing are torque and steering. CC-01s are geared for speed. For trail runs, a high turn motor can be adequate. For competing you may need a gear reduction unit. On the steering front, beefing up the components and getting more range are likely necessary.
JohnnyAnguish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 11:35 PM   #3
Oppan Gangnam Style

I ran this High Clearance CC-01 Power to the portal! in class 2 back In 2011, I did realy well with it. Although things have changed alot since then, if I still had it, I'd compete with it again.
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:12 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Front brick removal will increase your approach angle and you won't get hung up as much, and steering kits help a ton since the stock steering is like having a wet noodle as your linkage...I used the GPM one on mine and it works great, but I also have CVD's and I shaved my knuckles and arms to get more throw and movement.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:15 PM   #5
Oppan Gangnam Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianbacon View Post
I shaved my knuckles and arms to get more throw and movement.
You sound like a regular sasquatch, is there really that much wind resistance/loss of mobility from having excessive body hair?

... I couldn't resist, sorry.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:50 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino63 View Post
You sound like a regular sasquatch, is there really that much wind resistance/loss of mobility from having excessive body hair?

... I couldn't resist, sorry.
I'm Canadian, so we're pretty much like 2nd cousins
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 12:02 PM   #7
Oppan Gangnam Style

Haha, so my suspicions were correct!
Old 01-18-2017, 01:07 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

if you don't mind cutting up your tub a bit a 3:1 GRU unit with a 27T motor really helps with the tall gearing that's stock on the CC01 chassis. I just fit one of those to mine two weeks ago and it feels like it has twice the torque now, never bogs down.

I second everything that was say about the steering linkage and clearanceing your Lower arms and Knuckles.
alexleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote

New CC01 owner - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XJ owner out-asshole parks Corvette owner..... STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 18 09-30-2014 06:20 PM
New CC01 Mog Owner..tires/mods/lipo question jtessmer88 Tamiya XC/CC01 6 09-16-2014 08:43 PM
New CC01 owner losikid Tamiya XC/CC01 6 04-26-2011 11:28 AM
Soon to be cc01 FJ40 owner need advice please! gymjunkie23 Tamiya XC/CC01 8 07-11-2010 11:17 AM