Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Tamiya Scale Rock Crawlers > Tamiya XC/CC01

Notices

Thread: Has anyone successfully decreased the track width of the XC/CC-01?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2017, 03:44 PM   #1

Question Has anyone successfully decreased the track width of the XC/CC-01?

Hey, all!

Looks like there are a few threads about how to increase the track width of the front of the chassis using different a-arms and wheel hubs, but I'm planning on using a 1/12 scale body with a little narrower track width and I'm curious if anyone's ever done it to both the rear and front.

I'm currently looking at 195 mm from wheel end to wheel end with the stock Tamiya tires and wheels (I plan on using 1.55 wheels for this upcoming build) and I'm hoping to decrease the width by at least 10 mm overall (5 mm on either side) on the front and rear. I know this may warrant lots of "Frankenstein" type modifications to the chassis, especially the rear axle.

I'm quite anxious to see what wisdom these forums bring, as every other online community doesn't seem to be as involved. Thanks in advance, guys!
veilx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-2017, 06:09 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Has anyone successfully decreased the track width of the XC/CC-01?

Rear axle wouldn't be too hard. Swap the diff internal gears over to a TT02 style output which uses flats instead of splines, and you can then cut and file down the stock axles to suit. Housing would be a simple cut and shut...should be fairly easy to go 10-30mm narrower. Or you can swap over to a Vaterra axle, they are super easy to narrow.

The front would be tricky....easiest thing I can thing of is transplanting over Tamiya Mini (M05 maybe) arms ilo the stockers. Should be able to bring over the dogbones/CVA's, hubs, etc. Just a matter of getting the arms on. I don't have a M05 anymore to compare, but it certainly looks doable.

Curious to see your progress if you decide to do it...how narrow are you looking to go?
OSRC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
Rear axle wouldn't be too hard. Swap the diff internal gears over to a TT02 style output which uses flats instead of splines, and you can then cut and file down the stock axles to suit. Housing would be a simple cut and shut...should be fairly easy to go 10-30mm narrower. Or you can swap over to a Vaterra axle, they are super easy to narrow.

The front would be tricky....easiest thing I can thing of is transplanting over Tamiya Mini (M05 maybe) arms ilo the stockers. Should be able to bring over the dogbones/CVA's, hubs, etc. Just a matter of getting the arms on. I don't have a M05 anymore to compare, but it certainly looks doable.

Curious to see your progress if you decide to do it...how narrow are you looking to go?
Genius! Grabbed the front a arms from my M06 along with a few parts from the bin and it did the trick!

It is quite short narrow now.

Now with adjustable camber!

Only two things missing now are some shorter rear axle output shafts (any ideas?)...

...and shorter CV front axles to fit the front diff housing and it's cups. Anyone have a link to varying lengths of these axles?

veilx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:06 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The rear axle is the easy part, my thoughts are above.

Here's a drop in locker for the rear diff that will accept flats: for Tamiya TT01 Series #TT-069BU, ,(TT-069BU) by Yeah Racing Aluminum Solid Axle (BU)

Here's the stock gears: https://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radi...gear-set-51008

I can't say for certainty if any of these drop right in, but that's where I'd start.

For the front, won't the M06/M05 dogbones fit in the stock outdrives? Try it with the dogbones first, and if that works CVD's should drop right in. This is the setup that should be grafted on if possible. https://miniracing.files.wordpress.c...5/p1040226.jpg
OSRC is online now   Reply With Quote

Has anyone successfully decreased the track width of the XC/CC-01? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to pick wheel width and track width, Help please toy4crawlin EnRoute Berg 6 06-16-2011 09:59 AM
Track width, vanquish rims what width and hbs? Kraqa RC4WD Bully 10 01-14-2010 08:50 PM